What oil to use?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 03:06 PM
Default RE: What oil to use?

ORIGINAL: pie4foou

Spectra Gold, semi synthetic... i've said this before and been shot done, so i'll try again (and probably get shot down again) i thought a fully synthetic would make your clutch build a layer over it or something? or make it slip eventually? i dont know, thats what the dude said at the dealer where i bought the bike. anway i've been running the spectra gold, synthetic blend 10-40w from 600 miles, till now... (9,000+ miles) everything is fine so far.
Your Spectra Gold is not a bad oil, there are just better on the market. Anybody that makes a statement like that is at the very least, misinformed. If it is someone at a Dealership, they are either misinformed, or just plain telling you a lie. Dealerships get a Parts Program Discount for the entire year based on the amount of oil and filters they order, usually on their "Spring" order.. They have to sell that oil somehow. Misinform the underlings so they can pass it on, or just plain lie.

It has nothing to do with synthetic if you are running the proper weight, grade, class of oil that causes clutch problems. It has to do with people thinking "All Synthetics are Alike" which is the furthest thing from the truth.

Regardless of Brand, I Always recommend a MotorCycle Specific oil with a JASO Rating of MA, better yet, MA 2, but never MB.

All synthetic oil do not "cling" to Metal parts as stated either, it needs to be Ester Based, or better yet PAO w/Esters. The molecules are Polarized and will then cling to the metal surfaces. A pure PAO oil actually repells from the metal surfaces.

http://bestoil4you.com/files/g2156MCoilStudy.pdf Is the most comprehensive study ever performed on MotorCycle Oil.. It was performed by Several of the Top Independent Testing Facilities in the US.

Pick any of the top 3 oils, run a Premium filter (AMSOIL, WIX, Mobil 1) and you will have many years of trouble free life.

Remember, Oil IS the Lifeblood of your engine.

Doc

Old 04-08-2008, 03:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Amsoil 10W-40 here for the bike. I didn't know they made diesel oil too! Thats gotta be expensive. I wish Mr Lube carried it [&o]

Old 04-08-2008, 04:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Amsoil makes anything you could imagine for an engine or hydraulic system or a final drive unit........point is .....It works.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:12 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Yep I'm running Amsoil in the Dodge, 10,000 mile oil.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey question for all you oil nuts, or nuts in general I am currently running the Amsoil 20/50 motorcycle oil, because that was all the parts store had here. I would like to switch to the exact same thing since they are now carrying the Amsoil in 10/40 is that going to be OK? My temps are 100 in the summer and 20 in the winter, but not consistently.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Deej...Just run the 10w-40 Amsoil motorcycle oil...I'm in Pa. and my temps are just as crazy as yours...only we get colder in the winter.I have 6523 miles since last march and ...remember i also had 6 weeks in a cast during the warm weather and 4 weeks in january....not bad for my first season on the KLX......I used this oil in my atv for 7800 miles and it survived very well to be passed on to it's next owner in upstate NY.....he also told me that the oil is garbage and is useless....I also know the guy so i'll be able to rub it in because he'll dump in anything within reach.....those Hondas get touchy in their age.....But eh... what do I know.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:33 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

Hey question for all you oil nuts, or nuts in general I am currently running the Amsoil 20/50 motorcycle oil, because that was all the parts store had here. I would like to switch to the exact same thing since they are now carrying the Amsoil in 10/40 is that going to be OK? My temps are 100 in the summer and 20 in the winter, but not consistently.
Sure, just change it and all will be fine. I just ordered some Amsoil 10w40 MCF as I wanted to switch to synthetic on both bikes. It may seem to cost more but in the long run it may be cheaper.
db

Old 04-08-2008, 09:42 PM

ORIGINAL: stellar_d

Amsoil 10W-40 here for the bike. I didn't know they made diesel oil too! Thats gotta be expensive. I wish Mr Lube carried it [&o]
Why wish for anyone to carry it when I will sell it to you at their cost ?

Doc

Old 04-08-2008, 09:55 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Oil Doc

ORIGINAL: stellar_d

Why wish for anyone to carry it when I will sell it to you at their cost ?

Doc
Shameless sales pitch. I like it.[8D]

Old 04-08-2008, 10:06 PM
1st Gear Member

lol nice. well just because when they change my oil its conveniently there.

Quick Reply: What oil to use?