What a Ball This Bike Is!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 06:34 AM
Default What a Ball This Bike Is!

I was out riding today, just having a grand time. I've been wanting to hook up some video gear and try taking some videos, so I tinkered for a bit this morning and got it all working. While I was on my way back - I live in a pretty rural part of the state - I was coming around a curve that gave me a full view of a subdivision. I saw my buddy driving his UPS truck toward the same road I would be on. He has been blowing smoke on me about the KLX250S not being able to get out of it's way and that it couldn't even beat his UPS truck since the Robert Yates engine was installed.

To check out the results, go to The Big Brown Truck Gets Blown Away !

By virtue of our positions, I spotted him about a 2 block headstart. You could tell he had his foot through the floorboard, as the diesel stench was really bad - just cranking that motor for all it was worth.

No, the bike is not breaking up, it's the turbulence from the truck hitting the microphone on the front of the camera that makes it sound that way. The bike pulls strong through the entire rpm range now.

Can't wait until the 13 tooth sprocket shows up!

Enjoy!

Old 04-20-2006, 06:45 AM
Default RE: What a Ball This Bike Is!

great video, too bad all of central florida, no all of florida is like that... flat flat flat. i long for the hills and red dirt/clay of alabama. BTW could someone give me some pointers on riding in sand. all i know is the front wheel goes where it wants to... very hard to control

Old 04-20-2006, 06:47 AM

Is your bike mostly stock? It seems to be reving up pretty slow through the gears. Maybe I'm just used to hearing my bike which currently has a 14/45. My bike shoots through 1-4 pretty fast, then slows a bit over 60mph.

Old 04-20-2006, 07:02 AM

ORIGINAL: shn7926

great video, too bad all of central florida, no all of florida is like that... flat flat flat. i long for the hills and red dirt/clay of alabama. BTW could someone give me some pointers on riding in sand. all i know is the front wheel goes where it wants to... very hard to control
when in sand i like to stand up and shift most of my weight rearward in order to keep the front end light and kind of "floating" on top of the sand. you also need to keep up your momentum and try not to slow down or vary speeds much. its when the tire gets deep in it when you start darting off out of control. keith

Old 04-21-2006, 05:03 AM

cool footage. What mods do you have on your bike?

Old 04-21-2006, 02:28 PM

All I have are the "Grapevine Baseline Package" which includes:

#125 main jet
2005 KLX300 NT1C Needle
KDX220 Snorkle
1/2 drilled out first baffle in muffler
Pilot Jet uncovered and set to 2.5 turns out
7/64ths drilled out slide

Cost of parts when ordered from Ron Ayers (see Common Part Numbers Thread for all the part numbers) is about $45. It takes about 4 hours of tinkering time.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-22-2006, 12:45 AM
1st Gear Member

I do notice these front tires in the deep sand is not the best.When in deep sand the front end likes to wash out. It seems OK until you try to turn. Overall these tires are pretty good. So when in deep sand keep your weight over the back tire stay on the gas the bike is going to move around a bit but thats OK and before you know it you will be flying wright throw it and not even giving it a second thought..