Took off the airbox cover- now a question

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 05:07 PM
Default RE: Took off the airbox cover- now a question

Put that lid back on if you havent rejetted yet . The bike is way to lean without the airbox cover on . Once you rejett and make sure the carb is set right go ahead and romove or replace the airbox cover with something appropriate.

Regards,

Old 04-21-2006, 05:10 PM

Travis,

I'm not trying to blow you off, but HERE is an excellent article on tuning the Keihin CVK40 carb. Aside from the size, it is the same carb on our bike.

Read through it and you will understand that by taking the airbox cover off, you have allowed more air to feed into the carb. Now a proper air/fuel mix (the job of the carb) is around 14 to 1. If it is leaner, it does not let the engine burn it right and not enough power is produced. It is is richer, then you get some dark smoke (unburned gasoline) out the tailpipe. Either way the bike will not make maximum power.

Anytime that you make a change to the amount of air and fuel that can be fed through a 4 stroke engine - less restriction on the intake side (like in opening up the airbox), less restriction on the exhaust side (like in opening up the muffler) or bigger valves, carb, more cam timing, etc; you will effect the proper air/fuel mixture. This is why you need to change the main jet to one that is "just right".

In the CVK style carb, there is a needle that makes the transition between pilot (idle) jet and main (fast) jet. By shimming the needle, you can keep the fuel curve at a point where you make maximum power.

Got you interested now?

That's why all of us that have put the "Grapevine Texas Mod Package" into our bikes are so impressed!

Old 04-21-2006, 08:31 PM

I took off my snorkel. i love the way it sounds and to me it seems to run ok. so are you guys saying that you should not do it untill i can get it jetted.

Old 04-21-2006, 08:48 PM

Zubie8,

A lean mixture makes a lot more heat than a fat (or rich) mixture. Pistons can sometimes holes appear in them when the mixture is too lean and the engine run hard for too long!

I have an old outboard with a piston that is melted to the cylinder wall. I was running it wide open and kept leaning out the mixture. It was really buzzin' along when all of a sudden it just stopped - like real quick and real solid! I knew there was a problem when I grabbed the rope and gave it a yank and the motor could not be turned over! It does happen.

Do all of us a favor, especially your KLX250S and put the jets in that we suggest, then open up the airbox!

Just makes sense. Know what I mean, Vern?

Old 04-21-2006, 11:37 PM

I did my first mod, I took the airbox cover off. Obviously louder when giving it gas with the more air it is getting. Took it out to ride and immediately noticed more power. The question is, it seems to just lunge forward with new power off the bottom, but when it gets into the midrange it falls flat and has no power. It's very aggravating because you can feel the power the bike has, but it just shuts off. Is this due to the jetting? Is the midrange jet too small or something now? Any input on this is appreciated. Also, took the seat strap off but I think it's going back on, I guess in my eyes it adds to the overall look of the bike. Take one thing off and other parts of the bike look busy and that section looks plain. Thanks, Travis
If you are going to run with the air box cover off your going to need a after market full exaust system, re-jet, and drill crank case vent.

I am running 6 half inch holes above my filter in the cover with the snorkle removed, 128 main jet, e-clip on third groove on the jet needle, drilled #32 slide valve, and 2 and a half turns out on the fuel screw, with the full muzzy system and drilled out crank case vent. My bike runs mean as hell it takes off threwout the power band with enphasis in 1/3rd and rip through 2/3rds to full.

Old 04-22-2006, 01:31 AM

thanks marty. I put it back on. I thought that if I was running to lean it would not run so dam good. Do you have a suggestion for the needle and what slot to use. If a took it back off, I also drilled the exhaust. thanks again.

matt
keene NH