Weekend Ride Report

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 05:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Some of the comments about CA “culture” don’t give me a very warm fuzzy about my upcoming move to CA prompted by my wife’s need to be at very low elevation because of lung issues.

My non-asphalt riding experiences started 46 years ago in Minneapolis when we would go to Peck’s Woods near what is now I-694 & Central to play in the dirt (Honda Trail 90). This until the tract of unused land was bought by a developer and one Sunday we were “greeted” by a private security guard with a shotgun who made it clear no more riding there. Like NE, very little public land in MN so most of my riding was limited to 3-4 enduros a year that I would enter (Yamaha CT-1). Beginning in’73 we would trailer out to Glenwood Springs, CO, every year right after Labor Day and spend a week in what to us was m/c heaven. Did this until the mid-80’s when I moved to IA which like MN and NE has very little public land. Hooked up with some riders there who knew of a place near Boone where we could play in the dirt (Yamaha IT425G). When I retired in ’97, a move to a western state with lots of riding opportunities was mandatory. Loved the scenery in CO, but the winters are too long so we picked AZ. Scenery not as good as CO, but the FS roads much less used.

One thing I began to realize that the plant systems in the deserts of AZ and UT are much more fragile than in the wet states like MN & IA, and you really must be much more sensitive about staying on the road. In that a lot of the FS roads I use are every bit as challenging as the single tracks we use to ride in the MN enduros I’ve never felt like the “Stay on the Roads Only” signs were any kind of an imposition on my enjoyment.

I did go to the Thrillcraft site and read all their propaganda. Lots of stereotyping there and many examples of figures don’t lie, but liars can sure figure. Unfortunately, some of their examples of inappropriate behavior do occur, although they make it sound like it happens frequently. Besides organizing all we can do to combat that sort of crap is to be on our best behavior when we’re out in the sticks. The only people I run into are hikers and horseback riders. With horseback riders, if they’re coming at me I stop and turn off the engine until they pass. If I overtake either horseback riders or hikers, I coast by at an idle preferably with the clutch in. A smile and a friendly wave can’t hurt either. I have two kids and two grandkids that ride non-asphalt and I don’t want to see what I have enjoyed so much for so many years be taken away from them.

My 2 cents FWIW

Old 06-18-2014, 07:10 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Well, I know California culture is a little weird but there are plenty of sane people like NorcalKLX mixed in with the crazies. All the guys in my offroad club in SoCal were very good guys. They were all generous with their time and knowledge and very responsible about trail runs. So, I wouldn't be worried about moving to California (unless you like guns...) especially if you're moving to the northern portion. I knew a couple of guys from a smaller town in northern California and they seemed exactly like the guys I grew up with back home (it was a welcome sight to see them!).

What do you guys think would be the fix to this culture of blaming tools instead of people? Or how some people, when offended, decide to lawyer up and illegalize what offends them? Or any of the other junk we've talked about in this thread?

I honestly can't see a good fix. The only thing I can see is lawyering up to prevent them from enjoying something. But that's kind of a schoolyard tactic (I get punched in the nose so I get to punch him in the nose now) and could extend the stupidity of this ?trend or era?. I just don't get how some people's minds work...

Old 06-19-2014, 01:58 AM
1st Gear Member

Oldgypsy, I wouldn't worry much about CA unless like Mikey says, your a gun nut. You can't buy any cool crap here. If you already own it and bring it in it could be a felony. I know what I'd do jus'sayn...good luck getting a CCW in any county with a major city. That might change here shortly with a 9th circuit court decision, thank god. I do talk a lot of crap but California really is a lovely place for the most part. The Bay Area is full of good hearted people dispite the whack jobs. I think I mentioned earlier the do gooders like to use the exceptions as the bench mark for the majority of the rest of us. I guess I'm no better then they are when I use the Bizzerkely weirdos as the California standard for my examples. Quite frankly I'm sick of both parties, The Terminator was no better when he was in office years ago. I guess what I'm getting at is you can't escape the taxes and terrible roads but you can sure as hell befriend the right people and visit Nevada when you want a taste of good ol Merica. When it comes down to it California is a nanny state NOT a police state...lots of dumb laws but really...the budget is so upside down there is nobody home to enforce much.

Believe it or not, besides SF Bay Area and LA the rest if the state is pretty moderate or conservative. The funny part is if you chat with just about anyone around here you'll find we all agree on the basics. But when you talk about the trivial things then people become angry, divided and hateful. It's the implementation I don't like. Non the less it's my home state so I'll take it for what it is. Plus I rode all year on the KLX so I can't complain!

What part of CA are you guys moving to?

Old 06-19-2014, 03:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Ok I don't want to look like a total whack job so how's this for a ride?

State Route 130, California - a great motorcycle road

Might do it Sunday if I have time.

Then there is this guy from my neck of the woods.

Jackass Biker Meets Karma | Video | Break.com

Old 06-19-2014, 03:40 AM
1st Gear Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by NorCalKLX
Then there is this guy from my neck of the woods.

Jackass Biker Meets Karma | Video | Break.com
Too funny! Guy deserved everything he got. What a dumba**. Could have got away with it if he'd kept going.

Old 06-19-2014, 06:29 AM
1st Gear Member

What part of CA are you guys moving to?
We're looking in or around Oceanside (youngest son lives there) and somewhere between Berkeley (youngest daughter lives there) and Sacramento. Gun business doesn't bother me because the only time I consider carrying is if I'm hiking in the middle of nowhere by myself, and frankly in AZ the biggest risk in hiking is running into bees swarming and carrying is no help at all in that case.

Right now we know that anything over 2400' doesn't work for my wife's lungs and sea level, up to 200' she's ok. Going to be visiting both areas in the next couple of weeks and will bring along the GPS and try to discover just what altitude starts to give her trouble.

Old 06-19-2014, 02:55 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I was stationed on Pendleton when I was out there and the heart of Oceanside is a couple of miles from base. There are a few great wheeling places within a couple hours drive. Calico, Anza-Borrego, Ocotillo Wells further south, and I think Big Bear allows bikes (especially street legal), and the Hammers, as well as a ton of lesser known places. Oceanside is an alright town and you'll have a good mix of people from around the country there because many married Marines live off base in Fallbrook or Oceanside. I think Oceanside will be an alright town. Is your son a Marine?

Mike

Old 06-19-2014, 09:47 PM
1st Gear Member

I think you'll be all right just about any where. We've got a few peaks here and there but on average I'd say the mountains around here average 1500-2000 feet and anything on flat land would be a few hundred feet max. Really the only places that would get really high are the Sierras. I was going to mention Sac gets pretty hot and dry during the summer but since you're from AZ I think you'll be ok. One of the perks in the Bay Area is the air seems fresh because of the bay and the Pacific. Plus winter vs summer isn't a huge difference. Its really great weather wise.

Isn't Anza Borrego closed to vehicles now or am I crazy? I know something down south isn't accessible anymore.

Old 06-20-2014, 02:49 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Isn't Anza Borrego closed to vehicles now or am I crazy? I know something down south isn't accessible anymore.
When I was out there it was still open. I don't know about it anymore.