Weekend Ride Report

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 04:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by NorCalKLX
I never would of guessed that Nebraska doesn't have much public land for riding. California has a lot to offer, Nevada is off the hook and the Sierras are pretty sweet. There are a lot of parks that offer riding too but they tend to be crowded and not my cup o tea. Living in the Bay Area is great but kind of sucks if your into my kind of hobbies. The only crappy part is we're always being harassed by the Sierra Club and Center for Biological Perversity I mean Diversity. When I say "we" I mean anyone who doesn't hike. They want to shut down just about anyone and anything to preserve everything. I'm all for clean water, air and treading lightly but Jesus Christ people have a right to enjoy the outdoors how they like as well. To them if you lay a tent down your impacting the soil, erosion and grubs living under you. If you hang a hammock your ruining the bark and your shadow is confusing the ground hog below you. Thats why I just put my helmet on and get some therapy on two wheels.
I ran across this site yesterday. Pretty extreme. This is who we are up against. Thrillcraft - The Environmental Consequences of Motorized Recreation

Old 06-17-2014, 05:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
I ran across this site yesterday. Pretty extreme. This is who we are up against. Thrillcraft - The Environmental Consequences of Motorized Recreation
Let me tell a little story, I'm going to condense it so it really is little

There was an off-road park in California, I believe in apple valley, it was great, people all around came and just tore it up. Then one day, a group of flowers that hadn't been seen in 25+ (maybe 50+) years appeared in the ruts of 4 wheelers. The park was then shut down and restored to preserve and study the flowers. Not 4 weeks after the park was shut down, the flowers disappeared. Whether this was due to natural causes or not, I don't know. All I know is this hasn't been the first case (I am told) where certain plants grow in an off-road park just to get the park closed down and the plants disappear

As long as the vehicles aren't running over plants and animals, they are turning up soil, almost aerating it, creating ruts that allow water to gather and promote growth. These people that try to stop off-roading because it makes the land look ugly, it supposedly threatens wildlife, and creates noise for those 1% that choose to live in secluded areas. Ridiculous

Old 06-17-2014, 07:39 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I never would of guessed that Nebraska doesn't have much public land for riding. California has a lot to offer, Nevada is off the hook and the Sierras are pretty sweet. There are a lot of parks that offer riding too but they tend to be crowded and not my cup o tea. Living in the Bay Area is great but kind of sucks if your into my kind of hobbies. The only crappy part is we're always being harassed by the Sierra Club and Center for Biological Perversity I mean Diversity. When I say "we" I mean anyone who doesn't hike. They want to shut down just about anyone and anything to preserve everything. I'm all for clean water, air and treading lightly but Jesus Christ people have a right to enjoy the outdoors how they like as well. To them if you lay a tent down your impacting the soil, erosion and grubs living under you. If you hang a hammock your ruining the bark and your shadow is confusing the ground hog below you. Thats why I just put my helmet on and get some therapy on two wheels.
I think the deal in Nebraska is so much of the land here is very usable for farming or livestock and so most of it is privately owned because that increases the state's revenue in taxes. In California (I imagine Nevada too), most of the land that is usable for wheeling is (more or less) useless land. Look at the Hammers, Ocotillo Wells, Calico, and other ORV friendly areas. They are just desert that no one can turn a profit on. The only one that isn't desert that's coming to mind is Big Bear. So, that's why I think there's such a difference in public land between Nevada/Arizona/California and Nebraska. Just my 2 cents.

Mike

Old 06-18-2014, 12:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Mikey, I think your on to something about it all being privately owned. Plus the amount of land an OHV area will take vs the amount of OHV users is probably hard to justify out there.

Rocka, I believe it. That stuff happens here all the time. All the time. I can't stress it enough, all the time. Its insane. Hollister Hills, very popular place, some of you may of seen "Top Truck Challenge" or the dirt bike section on bike reviews and some races. Well, they've been around for a long long time and the kind folks who live near by want it shut down. Why you ask? The noise...you know, because they built homes in the lovely hills next to it. If that doesn't work then you get people in there to raise a stink about erosion. That place has fences, those hay hot dogs things and all kinds of stuff to prevent the soil from washing away. Clear Creek was closed because of a naturally occurring asbestos, I guess it didn't harm anyone but non the less it was deemed evil by the do gooders. I live in the heart of Silicon Valley and construction comes to a halt so a red nose mouse can migrate, no joke, I helped build a containment barrier for them years ago in Milpitas. The Sierras have tens of thousands of miles decommissioned each year due to budget cuts through political pressure or a bogus environmental reports. At the blink of an eye they close off any dirt road that has standing water on it calling it a "marsh" if they see a salamander sun bathing in it. Johnson Valley is under assault because the do gooders cant stand KOH each year. It just doesn't end.

Sorry IDRIDR, I tried to view that page but soon as I read the definition of "thrillcraft" I just couldn't take it. They make up words to demonize normal people.

The saddest friggn part, I swear to you I've seen it with my own eyes. Is when a BLM area or park has a trail maintenance day or want volunteers to help rebuild bath rooms and camp sites...you know who shows up? The bikers, 4 wheelers, hang gliders and hunters. Most of the areas I take my OHV adventures are inaccessible to most hikers anyway, nor would they want to go there. If they've seen America how I have they'd know there is plenty land to share. With that being said I love the environment, I'd probably call my self an environmentalist. I like trees, clean water, not burning trash and I always leave camp sites cleaner then I found them. But that doesn't mean I'm not going to use the out doors to my benefit. I think thrillcraft is going to haunt me for a while. Does that make anyone elses skin tingle?

I need to stop ranting but I guess I started this thread

Old 06-18-2014, 01:07 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

They make up words to demonize normal people.
Sounds like the gun control debate, lol. Everything's just getting lawyered too much. All of these people with problems need to keep it to themselves. If you think owning a gun/riding a dirtbike/farting in an elevator is wrong, DON'T do it. You can feel better because you're not part of the problem. You don't need to try to force your views and your way of life on someone who's enjoying theirs. I just don't get it....

The other thing I hate is the flip side of that coin. People tell you that you have to be alright with gay people and ethnic diversity (both are fine with me) but it seems like a real ?problem? that we're being pushed and pulled in so many different ways in our minds. It's like homogenization of the way people think... I have no idea if any of this made sense, lol.

P.S. - if the park was there first and the people built houses near it and complain after the fact, they need to go pound sand.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah exactly. Silicon Valley use to be home to Moffett Field with blimp hangers and orchards. That's it. Now it's got Apple, Google, Yahoo, Yelp, you name it and its here. There is a small private air field in San Jose and residents want that shut down. It's been there longer than the residents but that's how the wind blows around here. I try not to get involved in with the LGBT stuff. Honestly, if your a hard working individual and are a normal productive citizen then what do I care? What I hate is the people of California voted 3 times on it and the marriage between a man and women always wins. Then one judge over throws it. Not saying I agree one way or the other but what's the point of an election? But it's like that with everything here. Look up Leland Yee. He's the one from SF who doesn't know how to handle an air soft gun yet dictates bullet buttons, magazine capacity and ruins an actual right we have as Americans. Oh, BTW the FBI recently arrested him for gun trafficking and plotting to import other weapons. The irony.

People need to realize America is freedom of not freedom from. If you get what I'm saying.

Like you say on the flip side people don't need to be arrogant *** holes either. The exceptions of society set the boundaries for the majority. That goes for enjoying the out doors responsibly, owning a gun or any thing we enjoy as free Americans. It's a shame most laws and regulations intend to control the people who wish to circumvent them. It's makes the rest of us criminals if we can be responsible.

Old 06-18-2014, 04:59 AM
1st Gear Member

You are allowed to do whatever you want so long as there isn't 10 people who want to ban what you do.

It's absolutely freaking ridiculous, its like they don't want anyone to be outside, everyone has to live in a New York Metropolitan area with smog. Heaven forbid we step foot in the forest and break a twig.

Old 06-18-2014, 02:33 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Yep, this is the world we live in.

Old 06-18-2014, 02:59 PM
1st Gear Member

If I can sum up with what I live around is this...I went to dinner in SF one night. The cops were out on foot and people were coming and going down the streets with the beat of normal night life. Two guys decide to pack a bowl and fire it up, cops don't even care. Thats just the normal thing there. OK, fine, who am I to judge. Argument is its my body, my choice, I'm an adult, blah blah blah. Fire up a cigarette? Oh no, you've gotta be 25 feet from any building entrance, you can't smoke in a park, by a school, in an apartment or on a balcony. Neighbors complain then you've gotta put it out. In CA its illegal to smoke a cigarette in a vehicle with someone under 18 years old. Basically cigarettes are evil but pot is my choice. Oh, salt and large sodas are the root of evil also. They want it one way but not the other.

To show you how insane it is I can't even get a plastic bag at bay area grocery stores anymore. Paper only, oh and you didn't bring your own reusable bag. Thats 10-25 cents a bag depending on which city your in. Yep, bag tax. Wheres the money go? No idea but its sure as hell not for the roads because those are falling apart like you wont believe.

Old 06-18-2014, 04:07 PM
1st Gear Member

If I can sum up with what I live around is this...I went to dinner in SF one night. The cops were out on foot and people were coming and going down the streets with the beat of normal night life. Two guys decide to pack a bowl and fire it up, cops don't even care. Thats just the normal thing there. OK, fine, who am I to judge. Argument is its my body, my choice, I'm an adult, blah blah blah. Fire up a cigarette? Oh no, you've gotta be 25 feet from any building entrance, you can't smoke in a park, by a school, in an apartment or on a balcony. Neighbors complain then you've gotta put it out. In CA its illegal to smoke a cigarette in a vehicle with someone under 18 years old. Basically cigarettes are evil but pot is my choice. Oh, salt and large sodas are the root of evil also. They want it one way but not the other.

To show you how insane it is I can't even get a plastic bag at bay area grocery stores anymore. Paper only, oh and you didn't bring your own reusable bag. Thats 10-25 cents a bag depending on which city your in. Yep, bag tax. Wheres the money go? No idea but its sure as hell not for the roads because those are falling apart like you wont believe.
Classic example, I can put it even simpler

Blame the person? Why when you can blame the tool...(guns, dirt bikes, cigarettes, alcohol, etc. etc.)

Quick Reply: Weekend Ride Report