Valve cover gasket 3m spray 77

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 02:41 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Valve cover gasket 3m spray 77

I noticed my 09 sf started leaking oil at the little rubber circles at cam end of valve cover gasket. Needed to check valve clearances anyway so tore if off, found the 2 ex valves just within specs, will adjust when doing mods this winter. Now, as others have found, the old gasket is not so supple and is a bit smaller. I don't have a new one yet but want to use bike for a few more months. No worries, clean the cover grooves and gasket mating surface, i use alcohol, and VERY lightly spray gasket and perimeter of cover with 3m spray 77. Just a dusting. Leave for 2 minutes. Now insert one corner of gasket into cover groove and gently stretch to the next corner, pushing each length into slot until entirely seated. Now, and this is likely what previous owner didn't do when looking in here, use RTV sealant as per manual, at just the 2 circle surfaces of gasket. Let set up a bit and reinstall cover, torque and , look no leaks!

Old 09-25-2017, 05:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Isn't it amazing how a little prep makes a task simpler

Old 09-25-2017, 09:06 PM
1st Gear Member

That gasket is a PITA. Last time I installed mine I looked around my garage and found some Permatex#2. Placed a few dabs on the gasket and it installed easy, no leak.

Old 09-25-2017, 10:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Hot water is the trick for the CV carb diaphragm which might work with the gasket.

I will say if you want it to seal you can use Kawa (Yama Honda) bond non hardening gasket goop. I will also recommend when you take the cam cover off you always put it back on lightly tightened. When I did my valves I put the cam cap back on with a few bolts, then bolted the cam cover on to keep the gasket in proper shape.

Old 09-28-2017, 02:24 PM
1st Gear Member

A new gasket is about $33. It works well without any glues or sealers.

Old 09-28-2017, 02:34 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Eric B
A new gasket is about $33. It works well without any glues or sealers.
You're fortunate. Especially as they get just a little time on them, if you don't have a tiny bit of RTV or other non-hardening gasket sealer on the half-moons, almost all of them will leak...not a gusher, but a slow, dirty ooze. And it's only on the half-moon area of the rubber gasket that one should apply any gasket sealer. The rest of the gasket should be clean.

Old 09-29-2017, 06:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
You're fortunate. Especially as they get just a little time on them, if you don't have a tiny bit of RTV or other non-hardening gasket sealer on the half-moons, almost all of them will leak...not a gusher, but a slow, dirty ooze. And it's only on the half-moon area of the rubber gasket that one should apply any gasket sealer. The rest of the gasket should be clean.
I was under the impression that it was a batch of bad gaskets. Mine was leaking badly when I bought it(used, 2500 miles). I now have 12000 miles with no issues. I think I bought a 2012 part, although the part number is the same.

Old 09-30-2017, 02:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Same here... haven't lost a drop since replacing the gasket on my '09, even after taking it apart a couple times. Just a bit of RTV on the half moons.

Old 09-30-2017, 03:07 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Eric B
I was under the impression that it was a batch of bad gaskets. Mine was leaking badly when I bought it(used, 2500 miles). I now have 12000 miles with no issues. I think I bought a 2012 part, although the part number is the same.
Yes, there apparently was a run of out-of-spec gaskets, but I don't think anyone knows how many or what range of '09 bikes had them. Not even all the '09 models had the issue. I thought you were making a general statement about just buying a new gasket in most cases to fix a leak when the original gasket usually just needs a cleaning and proper application of sealant on the half moons. Yeah, on an '09 with a leaky original gasket, I'd be inclined to replace it.

On that issue on some of the '09 KLX valve cover gaskets being smaller, I think they all shrink to a very small degree with use and heat. I had 4 KLR600/650's with a similarly designed gasket and observed this on all of them. Still, some of the '09's had the issue to a larger degree.