Upgrades finished, but theres a problem.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 04:06 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Upgrades finished, but theres a problem.

I just finished rejetting my carb, installed Two Bothers Slip-on, Modified Airbox, installed uni, and installed 13 tooth sprocket.

Also, while I was at it I decided to "fix" the valve cover oil leak the dealer gave me. So after riding it for a few minutes, I looked down on the passenger side, and to my relief the leak was gone. Woo hoo! So I keep riding, just so happened to look on the driver side, oil everywhere. To the point it was blowing all over my leg.

So now I get to take the whole bike apart again. I am going to buy a new gasket to start over from scratch. Do any of you have any suggestions for putting that pig on? Any way to stop it from shrinking?

Thanks in advance, Adam.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Also, you guys where correct with the upgrades, it really wakes the bike up. It revs much easier and now it will actually pull a wheelie. The two brothers is almost too loud, but I like it. I will try to get some pics the evening

The carb was much easier then I expected. I drilled the slide, installed the KLX300 kit, went with the 3 notch on the needle valve, and 128 main jet. Seems to work perfect. No popping or excessive smells.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:38 AM
1st Gear Member

I assume it is an o-ring gasket? I havnt taken my valve cover off so i dont know what it looks like, bit if it is you can use grease in the crevis and then press the gasket into that, and it should do the trick for you.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by sharkbyte48
I assume it is an o-ring gasket? I havnt taken my valve cover off so i dont know what it looks like, bit if it is you can use grease in the crevis and then press the gasket into that, and it should do the trick for you.
Nope. The valve cover gasket is more of a large square shape.

I find this somewhat confusing. I've taken my valve cover off several times and still use the same gasket. But it never leaks oil. Are you torqueing the valve cover bolts correctly? If so, try some black ATV gasket maker paste.