Tuning with A/F Lambda meter

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 06:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Certainly, if you simulate a Dyno run and capture the AFR data, you'll have a "data set" that is easily understood and easy to tune with.. As Brewster points out, there isn't really any such thing as a "throttle position" on the CVK - Your right hand is only making suggestions..

Old 08-01-2015, 09:57 PM
1st Gear Member

True, the actual position of the diaphragm will change with engine load. Thats why I was thinking vacuum would be nice to know, then again, still might be difficult to figure out any usable relationship in reality.

I got everything set up, just need to figure out where to mount the gauge while I ride. My bike idles around stoich ironically. If you rev it and keep it steady at different rpms the bike runs lean or rich depending where you keep it. Obviously things will change a lot once I'm riding and there is an actual load on the engine. I suppose its nice knowing my bike ran pretty well and the gauge reflects something reasonable. I trust that its accurate but I always like having another piece of test equipment to verify. For now, I'll assume the AEM gauge is as accurate as they say it is.

Set up is stupid easy, two connectors, 4 wires to splice (only 2 are needed for the unit to work), and one o2 plug, done.

I got a little bezel to go with it, also the wiring is pretty generous for the o2 sensor. Apparently the sensor and gauge are calibrated together at the factory so NO splicing or wiring modifications are allowed.

Turns out there is a minimum distance to mount the sensor...so my original plans were foiled...

18 inches ended up right here or so...

I got the sensor positioned nicely and I was able to de burr quite a bit around it.

Installed.

Its alive!

I won't be able to test ride it until at least Tuesday or Wednesday...my suspension isn't back from the tuner guy yet.

Old 08-02-2015, 01:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Great stuff, NorCal! Looking forward to your tests & results.
I am in the Bay Area, burn the same crappy gas, & go ride in the sierra elevations as well.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Eric, what kind of riding do you usually do? I know pretty much every back road in the Santa Cruz Mountains from 152 to San Francisco. As you know there isn't **** for dirt for probably 2-3 hours from here, and then, its only fire/county roads. I do a lot a desert riding just east of the sierras and I love all the rocks and technical bashing up in the Sierras. As for the gas, I totally forgot about it. But yeah, our gas is a little weird. I always get way better mpg in other states, even in my crappy *** Jeep.

Old 08-03-2015, 05:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by NorCalKLX
Eric, what kind of riding do you usually do? I know pretty much every back road in the Santa Cruz Mountains from 152 to San Francisco. As you know there isn't **** for dirt for probably 2-3 hours from here, and then, its only fire/county roads. I do a lot a desert riding just east of the sierras and I love all the rocks and technical bashing up in the Sierras
I get up in the SC mts occasionally, explored the fire roads at Clear Creek a couple times(closure & permits abided by), Carizzo Plain(a treat in the spring or fall), and some of the eastern sierras(Bridgeport area). I would like to explore more of the Ridgecrest area, and I hear of great stuff from Sonora on up and over the Sierras.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:12 PM
1st Gear Member

I've been wanting to go down to Clear Creek but I've got range anxiety even with my 3 gallon tank. I might buy a few Primus bottles and take those with me as well. I know the eastern Sierras well, Pyramid Lake to Bodie is my go to desert riding. Funny you mention Ridgecrest because I've passed by it so many times but I finally went out there and did riding early this summer. I ended up going back 3 weekends in a row. Its wicked cool out there, went to Cherry Lake and saw the stuff burned in 2013, rode a lot of single and double track, fire road galore and some twisties too. So much to check out, I'm no expert but the exploring never ends there. This guy inspires me...I'm planning on buying a bigger bike with in the next year so I can do nice 2-4 day trips.

Enjoying the Moment...My Take on Riding Nor Cal | Adventure Rider

Ironically I came across that blog yesterday while sitting at Starbucks...4 hours later I thumbed through all 34 pages, good stuff!

Old 08-04-2015, 09:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Eric B
I get up in the SC mts occasionally, explored the fire roads at Clear Creek a couple times(closure & permits abided by), Carizzo Plain(a treat in the spring or fall), and some of the eastern sierras(Bridgeport area). I would like to explore more of the Ridgecrest area, and I hear of great stuff from Sonora on up and over the Sierras.
That kind of riding with the meter on the bike is going to be what is interesting. See what happens with elevation changes with the actual numbers. Same with temperature changes and all.

Old 08-05-2015, 01:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Any other things worth trying to check or monitor while riding? I'll try and keep track of temperature and elevation as best I can. My plan is to take a ride from the Peninsula at sea level and cool air and head up Mt Hamilton. The peak is around 4,000 feet and once you cross over its beautiful country over there...and usually hot...so hopefully over the course of a few hours I'll be able to see how things pan out. Hell, I could probably even hit the cooler Santa Cruz Mountains in the same day.

Any other things anyone think I should test, monitor or try and gather info on?

Old 08-05-2015, 03:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Seems like a good start.
Thanks for posting the link on the photo/rider guy.
Great stuff.

Old 08-05-2015, 06:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by NorCalKLX
True, the actual position of the diaphragm will change with engine load. Thats why I was thinking vacuum would be nice to know, then again, still might be difficult to figure out any usable relationship in reality.
Contrary to popular opinion I think if you were testing on the same stretch of road (or a dyno), with a throttle stop at the bars/exact same cable adjustment, and an adjustable slide stop to limit upward slide movement you could expect to reliably test at various throttle positions with the CVK - enough to read/measure slide/needle changes at a specific slide position.

BUT whew, that'd be more trouble than necessary since you have the a/f meter, and since the factory has already done that hard nano-sorting out process.

So general riding around with the a/f meter will do since you don't really have that many possible adjustments available and it's all so simple now.

I don't know about the rest of you, but my CVK has an emissions vacuum port very close to the top of the butterfly

Quick Reply: Tuning with A/F Lambda meter