Tuning with A/F Lambda meter

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 10:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Question for those who have used something like this. Can the bung be simply plugged once tuning is accomplished? Is it a pipe thread?

The whole idea of swapping/renting among friends makes this possibly more affordable. I have a couple bikes and know others...

Old 07-31-2015, 03:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
Question for those who have used something like this. Can the bung be simply plugged once tuning is accomplished? Is it a pipe thread?
A quick search for "oxygen sensor" bung, plug brought up your answer.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/vp...LTaBoCVzXw_wcB

Ride on
Brewster

Old 07-31-2015, 05:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678

The whole idea of swapping/renting among friends makes this possibly more affordable. I have a couple bikes and know others...
If people are going to sharing or renting or whatever, it might just be easier to grab a spare stock header and weld a bung in that one. Then just include it as part of the package... would help limit the amount of welding going on other peoples bikes.

obviously would be an issue for people trying to tune with a megabomb header, but you can always just sit the sensor in the tailpipe as long as you factor in the slightly less accurate results.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok, my dyno shop just shoves a small dia copper tube all the way up to nearly the exhaust port. Then a rubber line connects the copper to the sensor.. So making the sensor work on any bike should be just as simple.. Just attach a 3-4ft copper line to it.

Old 08-01-2015, 01:55 AM
1st Gear Member

Hopefully I replied to most of the comments...

@miniman I'm in the South Bay near Sunnyvale/Mt View so not far from Berkley at all

Yes the bung can be easily plugged with a threaded insert, the kit is about 9 bucks on Amazon and comes with both the plug and weldable threaded piece.

Lastly what fun are things with out a few more pics...I'll begin actually this experiment in the coming week.

The kit...

The meter...

The bung kit and bezel to temporarily mount on bikes or other vehicles...

Kit components looks decent...

Did someone say spare factory header and cheap-o eBay header for testing???

I'm thinking I'll mount it there...?

Old 08-01-2015, 10:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by pwjm
If people are going to sharing or renting or whatever, it might just be easier to grab a spare stock header and weld a bung in that one. Then just include it as part of the package... would help limit the amount of welding going on other peoples bikes.

obviously would be an issue for people trying to tune with a megabomb header, but you can always just sit the sensor in the tailpipe as long as you factor in the slightly less accurate results.

Multiple models, not only one. I have a 250, 500, and 650. Also not wanting to leave a $150 gauge on the bike unnecessarily after getting jetted in to optimum. Thus multiple bungs and the question about plugging the bung.

But I'm guessing the copper tube thing would do the job too.

Last edited by klx678; 08-01-2015 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-01-2015, 03:26 PM
1st Gear Member

For those of you considering this unit, be advised that you need 12 volts to run it.

Ride on
Brewster

Old 08-01-2015, 03:55 PM
1st Gear Member

How would you use this thing - in order to produce valuable information, wouldn't you have to create a log? Perhaps a sports cam showing throttle position and gauge readout?

Old 08-01-2015, 04:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Well that's a good question and to be honest I'm not sure what quantifiable information I could provide for others. My goal is just a good consistent a/f curve and hopefully a little better mpg to improve my range. I'm not going for max power but max useability as far as a good efficient engine. Honestly my bike runs pretty well but if I'm running rich or lean under cruising or I find a nice area to improve down low or what ever, then I'll be happy to try and improve what I've got. I'm also curious just to see for my self how much altitude or other conditions effect the driveability of the bike. I do have a go pro...sooo maybe that could help? I suppose if throttle position is an area worth checking then maybe I can get creative with some harmonic balancer timing tape. That has set graduations so maybe that will aid in info gathering, hell, I could try and rig up a potentiometer even. I wanted to dyno the bike but most shops wanted almost what I paid for this set up, some places start at 300 and go up for tuning. It's ridiculous around here.

Does anyone know of a port on the carb I can get a vacuum reading from with out effecting how it runs? I know how to use manifold cabin on a car for carb tuning and diagnosis but I'm not sure it's even possible or accurate on this bike.

Old 08-01-2015, 05:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by NorCalKLX
Does anyone know of a port on the carb I can get a vacuum reading from with out effecting how it runs? I know how to use manifold cabin on a car for carb tuning and diagnosis but I'm not sure it's even possible or accurate on this bike.
You can drill and tap the intake manifold, then screw in a fitting to go to the vacuum meter.
http://www.planetklx.org/techtips/hot-start.html

A problem you may have in reading the vacuum is that the bike is a single cylinder with a short intake runner which will cause the vacuum readings to pulse at lower rpms.
An additional complication is the CV carb. The position of the vacuum slide determines the metering of fuel, not the position of the hand throttle.

Ride on
Brewster

Last edited by Brewster; 08-01-2015 at 06:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Tuning with A/F Lambda meter