Tubliss Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 12:38 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Tubliss Issue

So I been running Tubliss F/R for a couple of years now. Had a flat tire about a month ago, put a new tire on and today another flat on the trail. Got lucky and met some ATV guys that trucked me back home, THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

The hole in the rim where the low pressure valve is has gotten reamed out and is now way over size, it is round but about 3/4" dia, with the stem about 3/8"dia. The slim will not hold there. So I am contemplating 2 fix options....
1. Move the 3/8 hole in the rim over to between the next two spokes, and reinstall offset. Heavy tape over the old hole.
2. Fashion some type of fiber washer to fit inside the rim on the stem so it seals it up. The rim is not flat there and is concave/convex.
I had been using a bent steel washer on the outside at that location, if I do #2, I'll probably reuse it on the outside and maybe cut some rubber tubing to use as an under seal.

Any of you guys have a similar issue and had anything work? I got to get this fixed before leaving for CO!

Old 05-31-2019, 02:20 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

That is really strange. I've been running Tubliss for nearly 10 years now. I never heard of that hole enlarging like that. I just pulled mine down for two new tires, and the hole looks to be the same size as when I drilled it. durielk, I think this whole thing has something to do with the previous issue you mention earlier. I forgot the details on that, but didn't it involve something with the tire getting abraded on the inside? You mention the low pressure valve, so that's the valve at the rim lock. Is your rim lock not tight enough...perhaps? Just speculating, but the only way I can see that rim lock hole enlarging like that is because the rim lock is not tight enough. Probably tied to the tire abrading too. Just a guess unless you have some more info on this.

On the rim lock/low pressure valve assembly, I actually use a torque wrench like they suggest, and I believe it's 11 pounds. When you're retightening that nut, it seems like it takes forever for that rim lock to bottom out. You almost think it's getting too tight, but the torque wrench says otherwise.

Old 05-31-2019, 03:34 AM
1st Gear Member

TNC, I think you are right. I think I never got the lock nut tight enough and it's wore a bigger hole in the rim. It was loose when it went flat today. I believe I tightened it with the new tire, but that big hole and a bunch of rocks loosened it, ... I think.
I emailed the manf too today. I'm thinking a new hole next spokes over and start all over it the way to go.

Old 06-01-2019, 03:06 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I agree. You should be fine just going to the other side of the high pressure/inner liner valve and drilling a new hole. That open hole could be addressed by a plug of some kind, but really even just more tape at the hole should be sufficient.

How do you tape the rim valley on yours? I found the factory supplied tape to be a little soft and not very durable. I took a cue from my mountainbike tubeless setup and have always used packing tape of a size as wide as reasonable...the kind of packing that has the nylon strands, not the clear. That nylon stranded packing is tough, and you put enough layers in there and it's good to go.

Good luck getting it sorted out.

Old 06-02-2019, 02:38 AM
1st Gear Member

I covered the hole with some thin sheet metal covered with metal duct tape. I'm going to drill a new hole over the same offset over on the other side of the other stem.
I was looking at the wheel lock a little bit and cleaning it up today, the black rubber that the 7/16" stem comes out of is damaged on one side (where it unsupported), probably from working around in that big 3/4" hole in the rim. I'm going get a fiber washer from HDepot and cut that down flat a little and put the new fiber washer over the stem before I insert it into the rim. It is inside the red rubber bladder, but it was leaking air out that hole! If that doesn't fix it, I'll order a new bladder.
I never did hear back from tubliss. I'm taking some picts, and if it holds I''ll post them in a month or so.

Last edited by durielk; 06-02-2019 at 10:09 AM.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:49 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm just installing a new rimlock/stem unit with a new grommett, you can get them from tubliss. Using the new smaller hole that will be drilled on the other side of the HP stem. I'm going to use a torque wrench on that NUT!

Old 06-17-2019, 05:59 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Been gone for a couple of weeks with the wife on vacation and hadn't seen that you got it worked out. Yeah, I didn't mention that all those individual parts are available, and I've replaced my rim lock, the rubber shoulder, and probably a couple of other small items just as service stuff over the years. I think I got mine through parts unlimited or one of those big wholesale places that my old shop I used to work at showed in their catalog...and you can get them from the source.

I saw mention in the other Tubliss post about the hole in your new bladder tube. Are you sure that wasn't a case of beer goggles during installation...or tequila goggles?...LOL! No, it can happen with new parts...LOL! Where was the leak in the bladder tube?

Old 06-17-2019, 07:34 PM
1st Gear Member

I got my new bladders yesterday, kinda busy so probably get back to this later this week.. The hole in the new bladder was in the seam right under/at the valve stem, so that part was never spooned on, it's the first thing you put in.
I also got a new housing (which I ordered by mistake) and new shoulder. I'm going to put all new stuff in there and hope to get a ride or 2 in before I leave to CO, to check every thing.
The old bladder had a hole in it that I patched, I'm thinking that and all the other old stuff that still looks good is going in the travel bin, just in case.
I'm researching a new pedal bike, this week and getting close to a decision. PRIORITIES!

Old 06-21-2019, 09:00 PM
1st Gear Member

OK, need more help ...or support.
I put new tubliss (all parts), previous new tire which only has about 40 miles on it of trail riding. I get everything on and together as per instructions. Bladder holds air, all the aire in the tire is escaping through the bladder hole in the rim. All the air in the tire is getting around the bladder..... any suggestions?
This is what was happening before. I cleaned and smoothed the tire/rim interface.

Old 06-23-2019, 08:55 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Man, you're having heck there. Well, from your description the only place the air can be coming from is the interface between the red liner edges and the rim. If the inner bladder tube is holding its 110 psi, then it's pushing the red liner into the rim, and that should do the job. Are you using Armor All or similar on the red liner?

Now, I guess there could be a very unusual case where there's a leak at the low pressure valve/rim lock area that is not sealed from the tip of the Schrader to where air exits the hole in the rim lock. I can't visualize how this would happen right now, but I remember being able to disassemble my rim lock/air valve unit. This surprised me, but I guess it's for replacing parts without having to throw out the whole rim lock/air valve unit. I guess if those components that make up the rim lock/air valve are not reassembled properly and totally sealed up, you could get a leak through the high pressure valve hole.

Otherwise there is a lack of sealing interface between the red liner and rim. Those two possibilities seem to be the only thing I can see. A failure/tear in the liner.