In The True Dualsport Spirit . . . .

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 01:11 PM
Default In The True Dualsport Spirit . . . .

As most of you know I just bought a 2006 Kawasaki KLX250S. That, along with my KLR650 give me the ability to explore the national forests and other wildlife management areas in the state of Florida. The KLR650 works well on packed dirt roads such as found in the forests in the northern end of my state and the KLX250 works very well in the deep sand that we have locally.

One of the only drawbacks I have found with the KLX250 is the limited range that it has due to it's 1.9 gallon gas tank. Going to reserve at 80 miles is just something I can't live with.

When you are one of the first one's on your block with a new toy, you are really alone when it comes to modifications that work and those that don't. The KLX250S is a bike that is a "make-from" but no one really knows what parts bins the parts were taken from, at least not yet.

I have tried finding an aftermarket tank for the KLX250S that will allow me to explore the roads that I so dearly want to explore, but no one can answer my questions at this time. Also the Christmas holiday spirit might have attributed to the lack of answers as most folks are winding down at this time of the year.

So, in order to fully utilitize my KLX250S until such time that a compatible added capacity tank if found I have gone ahead and in the true dualsport spirit, added the required fuel capacity to let the bike be ridden where I want to ride it.

No, I did not add a milk crate to the luggage rack and then set a few containers of gas into the milk crate. And no, it does not auto feed into the gas tank. It is there to re-plenish the empty gas tank and provide me approximately 120 more miles of range. That, along with the stock tank's 80 miles will give me 200 miles of off road riding capability. I think that is adequate.

Name:  ExtendedCapacityKLXTank006.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  57.7 KB

The tank cost me $5.49 and the spider net was sitting in the garage. The tank is a "spill-proof" model and is legal for use in all the states in the USA.

Hopefully this will do exactly what I need it to do!

Reports to follow!