New Addition to the "Dualsport Family"

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 02:19 PM
Default New Addition to the "Dualsport Family"

Well, after several months of looking, I start a new job this coming Monday. I'm looking forward to it.

There is a catch to it though, I have about a 45 mile commute to and from work each day. Most folks would start talking about the cost of gasoline and how such a communte is not good. However, since I am a motorcyclist, 45 miles is about a gallon of gas and I get a chance to ride my bike at elevated speeds. Remember, it's all opinion.

Well since I'll be riding mostly expressways at speeds from 65 to 85 mph I kind of disqualified the KLX250 as bike of choice. Same goes for my KLR250. The KLR650 might do it, but that is not the forte of the KLR650 - 45 to 65 is it's happy range.

My ZRX would have loved going at those speeds, but being on the ZRX at those speeds offers absolutely no protection from winds, debris or whatever.

My Concours is a 21 year old bike. I like to spend time prepping her for trips. Daily commuting is NOT what she is best at.

So, I was in a position where it appeared that a new bike was in my future (what a dilemma!). I did some reading on motorcycle review sites and started narrowing my choices down. Now remember I am afflicted with Multiple Bike Disorder and as the malady continues, it gets a bit worse. Not only do you require multiple bike ownership, but multiple bike ownership within a particular genre.

This photo will show just how bad I'm afflicted with Multiple Bike Disorder. I guess it might also be titled, "The Dualsport Family"

Name:  familyaffair.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  436.5 KB

Went out and bought a new Suzuki V-Strom 1000! Got a great deal on the bike. Traded in my beloved ZRX1200 on it. I think the V-Strom is a great replacement bike. It's impressive with the amount of and type of power delivery. A v-twin with about 100 horses is a fun bike on the highways!

I'm enjoying it tremendously! Rides great and passing is NO problem!

Now deej, that's a clean bike!

Old 06-15-2006, 03:32 PM
Default RE: New Addition to the "Dualsport Family"

Holy crap, 100 horses, thats pretty damned good, insane actually. My VTX 1300 will pull about 68 horses, I believe thats what most people say at least. I like the strom man, and I was actually eyeing one pretty good myself. Have you taken it off road yet? If so how do you like it?

Old 06-15-2006, 05:20 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

MAN!! That thing is almost as clean as my bike. LOL

Old 06-15-2006, 05:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Nice Marty,

Congratulations on the JOB. Let me know if you want to explore Flagler County sometime. I discovered some nice hard pack fire trails yesterday. Maybe a good Vstrom ride.

Old 06-15-2006, 06:18 PM

Hehe... You definately have a bad case of "MBD"... I hear it's contagious... Congrats on the new ride...

Now where did I put my wallet...?

Old 06-16-2006, 12:19 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Congrats on the job and especially on that beautiful new bike! Man that is sweet. I'm still working on making the KLX "all it can be". Still have a ways to go on that. I'll let you know when I'm done Maybe then I'll take on a new project once my bank account recovers from the KLX [:@] I'm kind've partial to BMW F650GS Dakar. I hate to think about what parts cost on that thing [sm=jawdrop.gif].

Old 06-17-2006, 06:51 PM

Before this race season started I was spending a lot of time looking at the V-Strom 650 model. My brother-in-law bought one so I got to "test ride" it quite a bit. AWESOME BIKE! If I was looking to go street only I'd probably go with a V-Strom as well. That's definately a very sweet looking ride Marty!

Here's a V-Strom site that I found that you might enjoy --> http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/VStrom.html