The "Travel Light, Travel Far" KLX

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 01:42 PM
1st Gear Member
Default The "Travel Light, Travel Far" KLX

I looked into a bunch of different bikes; DR's, KTM 500exc and 690, WR250r, and even street bikes. It was rather difficult to narrow down and I went back and forth on what route I should go, but thinking about what I wanted to get out of the bike helped. With that being said, I knew that I am interested in ADV style travel. I knew that I wanted to get out into the dirt. I knew I wanted to get out there.

Unfortunately those two things seem to be at odds. You have options to stay light with the 250cc class bikes, yet many have qualms about going long distance on them. The 650cc class are more highway capable, but they become heavier. Sure, there is the 500exc and 690r, but if cost is a consideration, forget about it. The DRZ400 has more power than the 250cc bikes, but no 6th gear.

The choice seems to be between Japanese 650cc and 250cc dual sports. Both can essentially fulfill the role of long distance as well as fairly difficult dirt riding. It seems the choice between the two is a matter of emphasis. Would you rather sacrifice road capability for a more dirt saavy bike? Or would you rather maintain a higher level of road capability, and give up some of your dirt capability.

For me, I have quite of a bit of experience riding small bikes. In fact, it's all I have ever ridden, outside of a GSXR600 track bike. I am comfortable riding on 250cc, and I value that ability to tackle any trail, the only limiter being my own ability. For a while I thought the WR250R was the bike for me. But after running across a few of the KLX250 threads on ADV, I saw the opportunity to build something to create a package that would suit my needs better than anything currently offered. And then this 2006 KLX popped up on craigslist, and I jumped on it. It was a fire department's "trail rescue bike". Only 900 miles. Part of the fire department's maintenance schedule. Picked it up for $2300.

Name:  IMG_20160727_210038.jpg
Views: 931
Size:  331.2 KB

I'm making this build thread, because I will be doing quite a bit to this bike, and I hope I can contribute to the base of great information on this site that I have leaned on heavily in trying to build this bike.

Old 02-18-2017, 01:57 PM
1st Gear Member

I have been riding it for a few months and collecting parts. The plan with this bike includes a lot of the usual mods and some I haven't seen done on this particular bike yet:

- Bill Blue 351 Kit
- TM33/34 Pumper
- Full FMF exhaust
- Acerbis 3.7 gal tank
- Seat Concepts Seat
- Ricochet Skid Plate
- Highway Dirtbikes Handguards
- Renthal Fat Bars
- ADVMonster Dual Sport Fairing and LED lighting
- Subframe bracing
- Suspension work (undecided on what, but it will happen)
- A bunch of other small comforts and miscellaneous goodies

The idea being to create a lightweight, very dirt capable bike that minimizes misery doing long road stretches, allowing for long trips.

I am lucky enough to have a shop with plenty of tools to work on the bike, and the help of my dad and grandfather, who are infinitely more handy than I am. I am excited to learn about this bike and understand how it works inside and out, particularly the motor and the carb, which might as well be a mystery to me.

Here it is sitting in the shop ready for teardown, more to follow.

Name:  IMG_20170215_122437.jpg
Views: 1089
Size:  347.4 KB

Name:  IMG_20170215_122626.jpg
Views: 1156
Size:  383.8 KB

Last edited by Rasberry; 02-18-2017 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:20 PM
1st Gear Member

For your intended purpose I think the BB351 is a great idea. I've done the the Great Divide Ride on both a KLR650 and an XT225 - both had their limitations. While my current KLX250S is probably 5-7mph faster than the XT225, it would still be a pain on the asphalt as compared to the KLR650, however on some of the Forest Service roads the XT225 was a lot more relaxing to ride than the KLR650 as would be the KLX250.

Keep posting the progression your mods. I'll be particularly interested in the sub-frame mod you come up with.

Old 02-18-2017, 04:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Great thread. I'm a bit biased tho, because I'm in the exact same frame of mind as you are. I too just picked up a gen 1 klx250s... mines an 07. Sold my wr250r, bought a klx250s.

The wr250r is a great bike, but it ate money like a 5.0L.. MOD$

I'm not taking my bike to 351, installing aftermaket exhaust, or getting a pumper carb.. When I think "travel light, travel far" I think about noise fatigue, fuel economy, engine vibration... but that's just me

As someone who has done alot of long distance riding on a 250cc.. I would suggest you take it easy on the mod plans. The 351 is the pinnacle of power on the klx250s, but it's really not as important as a 6 speed gear box when it comes to going the distance. The big bores eat alot more fuel, and the extra weight from the bigger gas tank is noticeable. Might I suggest doing some of the easy mods, jetting the bike with the stock exhaust, and then seeing if you are happy with it? Do a long *** ride, and see what you are missing.. then make the decision to spend big on mods.

There is no denying that aftermarket exhaust and jetting will add considerably more power to the klx250s over stock, but the added noise and fuel consumption is a real consideration and choice that the individual has to make. If you have never run a FMF pipe, you will likely go for it.. and then go through a process of loving/hating it depending on how you ride, how long you ride, and how much feedback you get from the neighbours. I've run both, and I prefer the stock exhaust. I'm not an old coot either... 29 years young and well aware of what I want out of a bike. The honeymoon wears off pretty quick when it comes to loud exhaust. Most people just keep denying it because of the power gains :P

I'm only bring up my perspective because I've been through this all before, and have spent money I didn't need to.

Enjoy your new bike!

Last edited by DitchPickle; 02-18-2017 at 05:10 PM. Reason: re read original post
Old 02-18-2017, 04:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Nice seat btw! I see the fire department know what mods are the most important :P

Old 02-18-2017, 05:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by oldgypsy
For your intended purpose I think the BB351 is a great idea. I've done the the Great Divide Ride on both a KLR650 and an XT225 - both had their limitations. While my current KLX250S is probably 5-7mph faster than the XT225, it would still be a pain on the asphalt as compared to the KLR650, however on some of the Forest Service roads the XT225 was a lot more relaxing to ride than the KLR650 as would be the KLX250.

Keep posting the progression your mods. I'll be particularly interested in the sub-frame mod you come up with.
Good to hear, I think you get my thought process. My hopes are that my mods to the bike will skew it a bit more towards being more road capable. So far, I haven't minded small bikes, having done plenty of miles on a Ninja 250, so I elected to go with what I know rather than a bigger bike. I have been pleased so far with it being to hold 70 mph and running around rocky trails at Uwharrie National Forest.

Old 02-18-2017, 05:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by DitchPickle
Nice seat btw! I see the fire department know what mods are the most important :P
I definitely get what you mean, but I can never leave well enough alone

The WR being as expensive as it is, even in the used market, was what sent me to the KLX. For the price of a WR, I could buy the KLX and most of the mods.

Noise fatigue and mechanical simplicity/reliability were a big consideration for me. I did some research on the most reasonable aftermarket exhaust, Q4 with a quiet tip in it seems to be the way to go. Megabomb may qut a decibel or two off if you believe FMF. My old DR350 had a DG exhaust with a header pipe on it, and I miss it dearly, so as long as it is quieter than that beast I have high hopes for it. I went back and forth on whether to do the 351 or not, but this thread over at ADV swayed me. But it is a line that I am toeing there, hopefully I don't cross it, and the mods start becoming a detriment.

The Amazing KLX351 | Adventure Rider

Pumper carb was just for fun. Hopefully I don't have to screw with jetting due to altitude too much in comparison with the CVK. But it's all a learning experience right?

I switched the seat out shortly after I got it, only thing the fire department did for me is throw on a 13t

Last edited by Rasberry; 02-18-2017 at 05:33 PM.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Tear down on the bike began a two days ago. All bolts put into labelled baggies and electrical connections and the like color coded with zipties. It came apart fairly easily.

Pulled off the seat and the fairings:

Name:  IMG_20170215_125041.jpg
Views: 982
Size:  367.7 KB

Then got rid of the gas tank and pulled off the battery box and rear fender/taillight.

Name:  IMG_20170215_140345.jpg
Views: 1047
Size:  339.3 KB

Got a first look at the subframe, and started thinking about what to do on reinforcing it. Luggage weight on the tail will be kept to a minimum, but support will be needed on exhaust side for sure, looking at doing something with the battery side as well.

Name:  IMG_20170215_140315.jpg
Views: 1013
Size:  346.3 KB

Old 02-18-2017, 06:10 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm pretty familiar with the 351 thread. I had a 2009 klx250s and a 2010 klx250sf a few years ago. At that time I was toying with the idea of going full bore too. Both bikes were sold to fund other adventures/bikes before I had the chance.

The wr250r is a great bike, loves high rpm and highways, would suggest it to anyone with deep pockets. It took me everywhere, never let me down. Fast as sh*t, fully modded aside from suspension. Rear spring needs revalving bad.

Bought it for 4600 and sold it for 6000. I hated the exhaust on that bike... ruined long trips for me. Couldn't justify spending even more money to convert it back to stock... sometimes you gotta just pass it on and start over.

Getting back to the klx250s, I was really surprised at how peppy my '07 was at full stock. It hates being cold, and doesn't like to have the throttle twisted too fast. Other than that, it's pretty sweet. It's not my wr250r, but it scoots along nice and it cost me 3/8th of what I sold the wr250r for.

With the stock exhaust, some jetting and suspension mods, I'll be miles ahead of capability off road compared to the wr250r. On the highway, my ride will be more enjoyable and easier to sustain with a quiet exhaust note. The klx250s can easily cruise at 100km/h... No one does 130km/h for any length of time on a 250cc/350cc/400... Long distance riding is about setting a pace that is comfortable but still efficient. If you like to race economy cars and stock 250's and the odd drz400, get the 351 kit. Other than that, you are spending alot of extra money that could go to stuff like suspension, riding gear, panniers, gas.. you name it.

I'm not going to sit here and say I don't want a 351 kit, but that is for a different time when this bike isn't my primary ride, and I've already done everything else, driven to alaska and back, and own a kawasaki versys 300x

Like I said before, it's really about how you ride and how long you ride. If you just go for 2 hour rides on saturdays, maybe having a 351 will be the most enjoyable experience. If you ride all the time, do long trips, ride offroad... you might not need that extra 100cc and the dusty trail you have to walk down to get there. Don't be stuck on a sunny day with your engine in pieces

Old 02-18-2017, 06:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Decided to tackle the 351 kit first.

There are plenty of great resources out there for the 351 kit, so I didn't document too much. Here are some that were especially helpful for me.

- IDRIDR's build thread: https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...44/#post459473

- Dan888's thread: https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...s-links-32538/

- Armycopter's thread: https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...351-mod-31703/

- MrDuhfactor series of Youtube videos on a full build of a KLX250R can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._YMlhftAoWEvsu This series is great, as he has videos going through the entire teardown and install of a 351 kit.

Pulled the carb and the radiator to make some space:

Name:  IMG_20170216_121017.jpg
Views: 1010
Size:  407.0 KB

Decided we weren't too far off, so just went ahead and pulled the whole damn thing out:

Name:  IMG_20170216_202238.jpg
Views: 968
Size:  372.9 KB

Motor hanging out waiting to be cleaned:
Name:  IMG_20170216_203045.jpg
Views: 940
Size:  300.6 KB

And all cleaned up and ready to go:
Name:  IMG_20170217_114619.jpg
Views: 1018
Size:  300.1 KB

Quick Reply: The "Travel Light, Travel Far" KLX