Trakmaster Knobby coming off?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 12:08 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Trakmaster Knobby coming off?

ORIGINAL: klx250s_rider

I had a set on my old KLR650 - they were cheap, easily got sliced up on the sharp crystal granite we have here in the desert and totally sucked on pavement - the ***** flexed and wiggled way too much in the corners. I retired them early and have been riding on Dunlops ever since!
Mark when you say Dunlops, do you mean the 606s? They are almost3times the price of the TMs. Are they worth it?

Old 05-16-2008, 12:32 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FM_Thumper

ORIGINAL: klx250s_rider

I had a set on my old KLR650 - they were cheap, easily got sliced up on the sharp crystal granite we have here in the desert and totally sucked on pavement - the ***** flexed and wiggled way too much in the corners. I retired them early and have been riding on Dunlops ever since!
Mark when you say Dunlops, do you mean the 606s? They are almost3times the price of the TMs. Are they worth it?
the saying you get what you pay for definitely falls into play here. but, remember any input people give you here is nothing more than opinion as each tires performance will vary greatly upon terrain.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:01 AM
1st Gear Member

With the Dunlop 606's being $73 most places, is the TrackMaster really worth the trouble? Cyclegear has a 10% off sale on Saturday which will cut the price a little more.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:06 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I buy my tires from the dealer that I bought my Honda CBR from because he mounts/balance it for free. What is the list price for the 606s?

What about other name brandtires that are between theTM& 606s in price like the Pirellis, Michelins, or Bridgestones?

Old 05-16-2008, 01:34 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sid Post

With the Dunlop 606's being $73 most places, is the TrackMaster really worth the trouble? Cyclegear has a 10% off sale on Saturday which will cut the price a little more.
Depends on the terrain that you ride on. For me the tmII rear IS the best dot soft sand tire. I had 606s on my ktm adv and it was ok for that bike......but that is my street bike

Rockymountain offers free shipping on all orders over $100....that makes most tires cheapest their.

FM_Thumper, you don't mount your own tires? Oh and Balancing tires on the klx... sorry but lol. I patch um so much I don't worry about it....just slap um on and ride. It is a dirt bike.

Old 05-16-2008, 03:17 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Finger Mullet
FM_Thumper, you don't mount your own tires? Oh and Balancing tires on the klx... sorry but lol. I patch um so much I don't worry about it....just slap um on and ride. It is a dirt bike.
I'm pretty mechanically inclined anddo all the maintenance on my three bikes on my own except for mounting tires. I always took it to my Honda dealer since he mounts and balance for free if I buy the tire from him(I'm sure MSRP, lol).

You are right that the dirt bike spoked wheels do not get balanced anyway, so maybe I should at leasttackle the KLX tiremouting on my own. Is is hard? I have never mounted amotorcycle tire before. Auto tires yes but using a Cotes Machine and I do my mountain bike all the time but that's a piece of cake, lol. How hard is it to take the tire and the tube off and then put the new one one. Does it slip right off and on like a bicycle tire?

Old 05-16-2008, 12:27 PM
1st Gear Member

After talking to some local people, I bought the longer Motion Pro tire levers. One longer tire iron would probably be good for the initial break over.

I don't have the links handy but, I remember seeing something on the web that made it look changing a bicycle tire only tougher because the wire bead was larger. Walk on the tire to break the bead loose and then roll it over the rim. If you can do it on a moutain bike tire with 4 inch levers, how much hard can it be on motorcycle with 14 inch leverls? [sm=smiley25.gif][sm=smiley7.gif]

Old 05-16-2008, 09:17 PM
1st Gear Member

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=390735 I just changed tires for the first time following the instructions given on this link and it was NO problem. I will never pay to have tires mounted again. I used heavy duty tubes and that might have helped a little but there was never a part of the tube exposed to be pinched. It said to rub the tubes with baby powder, didn't have that so I used corn starch!
I bought the pirrelli mt21's and they are GREAT. Excellent traction off road and I think they do fine on the road. There is a real slight buzzing noise on the road but if you are not listening for it you don't even notice.
I bought the set of three tire irons on the same site I bought the tires, worked great. Gives you a real sense of satisfaction when you are finished. I also adjusted the valves myself for the first time and she's running great. (no shims on the klr, just turning screws) Hope this helps.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:02 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FM_Thumper
You are right that the dirt bike spoked wheels do not get balanced anyway, so maybe I should at leasttackle the KLX tiremouting on my own. Is is hard? I have never mounted amotorcycle tire before. Auto tires yes but using a Cotes Machine and I do my mountain bike all the time but that's a piece of cake, lol. How hard is it to take the tire and the tube off and then put the new one one. Does it slip right off and on like a bicycle tire?
I always carry three tire irons, patch kitandbicycle pump in my tool kit. Sometimes also a 21" tube. You gotta be able to patch a flat on the trail.

Get three nice spooned 7.5" tire irons.....don't go cheap, mine were almost $15/each. But they work great and have MORE than paid for themselves....you do not need longer spoons, because if you do you are doing it wrong, it's all technique and practice.

There is a great video out there, that I used to have saved in my favorites, but no more. [:@] Hopefully someone will post it up.....it was a professional guy at a mx track demonstrating proper tire changing technique.

First time is tough, second time A LOT better, third time and on a total breeze.

I even carry my repair kit on vacation, here's a pic of me fixin a flat on a rental bike in Costa Rica.....it would have taken forever to get someone to do it....if at all.I was back in the rain forest within an hour. You should be able to see my spoons in the pic....get the same or close.

Name:  DSC01171.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  147.0 KB

Old 05-16-2008, 11:06 PM
1st Gear Member

I actually got two flats on that trip. Back tire repair Costa style.

Name:  DSC01127.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  121.5 KB

Quick Reply: Trakmaster Knobby coming off?