Trail Tech Vapor

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 04:46 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Trail Tech Vapor

No ignition switch Brian? Wow, you're hardcore about weight savings...
Don't you ever leave your bike parked in public? You don't miss the security of a keyed ignition?
You must use some other type of lock for security?

Old 08-19-2006, 05:52 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I didn't really remove it for weight savings, but that was a nice benefit - probably dropped 4 or 5 lbs right there - that thing is like a boat anchor. In all honesty, as I was considering replacements for the stock instruments, the ignition switch jutted out in the area behind the faceplate making it difficult to do what I wanted. I had considered a few different instrument options which would have interfered with the ignition switch. So I just removed it, and rewired the pigtail to work on a simple 3PDT toggle switch. I'm not really worried about security - we have a secure place to park at work and I rarely leave it unattended in public and the actual switch is well hidden and waterproof unless you know where to look. It's easy enough to add a keyed switch later if I want, but so far I've not had the need. I definitely realize this is not something that probably anyone else on here would do or want to do. Except maybe sdunne. Which is why I never really said anything about it ... I didn't think anyone else would be interested and you guys would think I was even crazier than you already do.

Old 08-30-2006, 04:08 PM
Default Back order

Hey all, if any of you have ordered the Vapor I just talked to Trail Tech and they expect to have all back ordered vapors shipped no later than Friday of this week.

Old 12-23-2006, 03:26 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

ORIGINAL: NavKLX

NoBrakes, what did you do with the stock speedometer cable and the stock speedometer gear in the RH-side front wheel hub? Did you find a way to make it look clean and tidy after removing it?
Since I don't plan on ever putting my stock gages back on, I retained the odometer end piece but seperated the cable from it and capped it off with a short piece of spare fuel line with some black RTV silicone filled in the top. This left about a 1 inch piece of black tubing capping off the speedometer cable fitting at the hub.
Just an update, the Vapor kit I got had a cap in it to blank off the original speedo hub.

Old 12-30-2007, 04:15 PM
1st Gear Member

I had capped the speedo hub hole, apparently not never well. I've been hearing some squeaking from the front hub. Pulled off the front wheel and found rusty water inside of the hub. (There are two holes where water can get in, the big one where the speedo cable went and a little one for the cable retaining screw).

The cap may not be enough. I pulled out the speedo gears and then filled the shaft (where the worm gear was) with RTV.

I also cleaned everything up, replaced the bearings and seals and greased it liberally.