just installed trail tech vapor on my klx300 light troubles...

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 12:59 AM
1st Gear Member
Default just installed trail tech vapor on my klx300 light troubles...

I just installed my trailtech vapor on my 2003 kawasaki klx 300r and everything worked out perfict but I have a problem once the bike reaches 6000 rpms the backlight on the vapor disappears or dims/blinks on and off and the shift lights only light up very dim or not at all so I turned the shiftlight feature off and it still happens… if your above 6000 rpm the same thing happens. First I thought it might be because it maby require a battery but the trailtech is sold for bikes that dont have a battery or can even take one so I don’t know what is going on this is a brand new unit I just installed any ideas? another thing... if you give it a quick shot of gas but keep the revs under 6000 the backlight will probobly dim but wont go out...the whole time the computer works fine its only the light im having trouble with

Last edited by maineack bob; 04-26-2009 at 01:04 AM.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:43 AM
1st Gear Member

hmmmm.....no issues on the backlight for me, what method did you use for your tach indicator?

bump

Old 04-26-2009, 02:23 PM
1st Gear Member

i wraped the red and black wire around the spark plug wire and i took my power from the black/yellow and yellow wire comming out of the voltage regulator... i even u pluged the tach wire from the vapor altogeather to see if that was the problem and it still happened, thwe funny thing is you can slowly rev it up and you can literally get to 5999 rpm and its fine but once it hits 6000 bang the backlight dissapears

Old 04-26-2009, 02:44 PM
1st Gear Member

a quick thought jujst crossed my mine is it possible that the voltage regulator is shot and whats happening is that over 6000 rpms the bike is outputing to much power and the vapor has a safty that will block out the power if to much is coming in? but the rest of the vapor still works because the internal battery can power it.

Old 04-26-2009, 03:21 PM
1st Gear Member

alright heres another update i unpluged the voltage regulator and the backlight was perfict but the rpms were al screwed up it was reading alot higher then it is supposed to but only at higher rpms say 4000 and below sa accurate so i pluged the regulator back in and the backlight gave me trouble again but the rpms are fine so would i be right to assume my regulator is shot?

Old 04-30-2009, 10:27 PM
1st Gear Member

hey finger what method did you use for your tach indacator? i wraped both the red and black wire around the spark plug wire but the guys at trail tech say to put the black one to ground and put the the red wire around the sparkplug wire

Old 05-01-2009, 03:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Option 1 SOP....with a good ground.

Your bike is a klx300 with no battery right?

Try running the vapor with no external power supply, post if that works. A little high rpm power supply noise, could be tweeking the vapor without the battery as a sink.

Might be worth just leaving it that way or you could try to tweek the noise ..... IF that turns out to be the problem.

Lets here it.....of course I could be waaay off base as I'm currently in the land of cold on a power plant startup...in a frigid place called Braintree MA....and I just had a couple soul warming hot Brandy things from the Girls.

How do you Yankees live up here.....brrrrr.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:39 AM
1st Gear Member

alright well i ran it first without any external power just the vapors battery and it ran perfict i just wanted the shift lights and backlight to work so i hoked it up to the power from the bike which your right has no battery and all this began... here is the last symptom or whatever youd call it my bike had both the headlight and tail light removed, so what i decided to do was plug in the tail light to see if that light would go out aove 6000 rpms liek the vapor and the result was somewat cofusing and i still havnt figured it out. so here it goes when i started the bike with the taillight pluged in and on everything worked perfictly backlight stayed on and everythign i turned the light off and we were back to the same old problem, i tried the same thing with the headlight and it worked... i pluged in another couple of things that bornt power and ever time the vapor worked fine so i cane to the comclusion that when ever i have sometihng else pluged in burning power aswell i still have no idea whats causing this or how to fix it... i also got my hands on another voltage regularot that worked and that didnt change anything at all... i havnt tried any other tach sensor setups becides wraping both the red and black wire around the sparkplug wire and this seems to be working fine as long as i dont unplug the voltage regulator... any thoughts

Old 05-01-2009, 12:33 PM
1st Gear Member

My guess would be this.
The vapour tech is requiring a more stable power supply than your bike is providing at high rpm un-loaded.
Adding load is helping to stabilise the voltage to a point that is OK.
It's just not a very sophisticated system.
I assume that you don't want to use the head and tail lights?
If it was me I would try a large capacity capacitor in parallel with the vapourtech.
Smooth out the bumps.
Easy and cheap.

With bikes with a battery, the regulator is doing a better job, and the battery also acts as a great voltage stabiliser.

Last edited by neilaction; 05-01-2009 at 02:50 PM.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:15 PM
1st Gear Member

id rather not use the lights if i dont have to sience im running kx fenders and a kx number plate because i use the bike at the track and the pit but im somewat interested in trying the capicitor idea by paralell do you meen just run it in line on the positive or negative side of the vapor? or one side to the positive and one side to the negative in line with the vapor... what kind of capicator are we talking bout here anyways where would i find it i have a few kicking around from when i was making circut boards would the voltage on the capacitor matter?

Quick Reply: just installed trail tech vapor on my klx300 light troubles...