Tool carrier

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 01:59 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Tool carrier

I finally got around to making a new tool carrier. I decided to use the tab that used to hold the helmet lock because the space was crying out for some use.

Name:  ALIM1185.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  46.6 KB

I made an aluminium bracket to bolt to the helmet lock tab and bent it to fit a piece of 3" pvc thin wall pipe I had laying about. I glued one sewer cap on one end.

Name:  ALIM1192.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  44.2 KB

Name:  ALIM1186.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  31.5 KB

I used a hose clamp to attach the tool carrier to the bike.

Name:  ALIM1195.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  53.3 KB

Name:  ALIM1197.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  38.1 KB

I can fit in enough tools to do anything i need to do to it in the backcountry
Plus some spare fuses, bolts, tape, jb weld and that kind of stuff, and still not make it too heavy for the tab. (hopefully)

Name:  ALIM1191.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  72.8 KB

I will have to carry my tire irons in a saddle bag along with spare tube etc.

I am waiting to get a Giant Loop saddle bag and I should be just about ready for a long trip I am planning for this summer.

Old 03-01-2009, 02:39 AM
1st Gear Member

good job with that. I'd lose those axle wrenches and just use an adjustable wrench. I have a nice Stanly that's no longer than your screw driver($10 at wallyworld). It will also do the work of all those box wrenches. I'd throw a few zip ties(large and small) and some electrical tape in there too.
The one other thing I noticed that you don't have is an 8mm socket or ratchet. Those are good to have too.

Old 03-01-2009, 04:18 AM
1st Gear Member

Awesome! That's exactly what I was talking about in my thread. I think I'd like a scaled-down version when I make mine. All I'm concerned with carrying is my paperwork and the basic tools that come with the bike. I'm not gonna do a teardown in the wilderness

Great job! Thanks for the pics.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by lcpl0331
good job with that. I'd lose those axle wrenches and just use an adjustable wrench. I have a nice Stanly that's no longer than your screw driver($10 at wallyworld). It will also do the work of all those box wrenches. I'd throw a few zip ties(large and small) and some electrical tape in there too.
The one other thing I noticed that you don't have is an 8mm socket or ratchet. Those are good to have too.
Thanks,
The 1/4" ratchet and a couple of sockets are at work but will fit in as will the other stuff you mentioned. You can pretty well strip this bike to the frame with an 8mm socket.
I have the crescent wrench as well but I like the box end and the little extension fits over my tire irons which I might just cut down so they fit in the tube and use the extension for leverage.
I will also carry a tiny voltmeter and some electrical connectors etc. Also a tire pump and patch kit.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Nicely done!

Old 03-01-2009, 07:12 PM
1st Gear Member

you want to start selling those, ill be the first on the list. let us know how it holds up when you ride.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:58 PM
1st Gear Member

You can everything from your closest hardware store. I just bent the 3/16 aluminium in a vise. I think the total cost would be less than 15 bucks maybe twenty if you had to buy a ten foot piece of 3"pipe. The caps are about 2 $ each.
Hey punkenduro, what is the range of your big gas tank?

Old 03-01-2009, 08:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Clever!!!!

Old 06-06-2010, 01:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Update on this bad idea,

I was just going through some old posts and found this. I have to tell you that the helmet lock tab broke off one my trip along the KVR so this is not a good idea.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:39 AM
1st Gear Member

You still have a great idea there. You just needed to add one more slightly beefier tab rearward of the helmet tab, weight over stressed the one tab is all. Plus it looks like that tab is only welded on the back side.... even a hose clamp and a small bracket would probably suffice to bolster the helmet tab.

Now its time for your new and improved version.

Quick Reply: Tool carrier