Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   KLX 250S (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/)
-   -   Tool carrier (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/tool-carrier-27135/)

redpillar 03-01-2009 01:59 AM

Tool carrier

6 Attachment(s)
I finally got around to making a new tool carrier. I decided to use the tab that used to hold the helmet lock because the space was crying out for some use.

Attachment 21801

I made an aluminium bracket to bolt to the helmet lock tab and bent it to fit a piece of 3" pvc thin wall pipe I had laying about. I glued one sewer cap on one end.

Attachment 21802

Attachment 21803

I used a hose clamp to attach the tool carrier to the bike.

Attachment 21804

Attachment 21805

I can fit in enough tools to do anything i need to do to it in the backcountry
Plus some spare fuses, bolts, tape, jb weld and that kind of stuff, and still not make it too heavy for the tab. (hopefully)

Attachment 21806

I will have to carry my tire irons in a saddle bag along with spare tube etc.

I am waiting to get a Giant Loop saddle bag and I should be just about ready for a long trip I am planning for this summer.

lcpl0331 03-01-2009 02:39 AM

good job with that. I'd lose those axle wrenches and just use an adjustable wrench. I have a nice Stanly that's no longer than your screw driver($10 at wallyworld). It will also do the work of all those box wrenches. I'd throw a few zip ties(large and small) and some electrical tape in there too.
The one other thing I noticed that you don't have is an 8mm socket or ratchet. Those are good to have too.

cliffsta 03-01-2009 04:18 AM

Awesome! That's exactly what I was talking about in my thread. I think I'd like a scaled-down version when I make mine. All I'm concerned with carrying is my paperwork and the basic tools that come with the bike. I'm not gonna do a teardown in the wilderness :)

Great job! Thanks for the pics.

redpillar 03-01-2009 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by lcpl0331 (Post 358215)
good job with that. I'd lose those axle wrenches and just use an adjustable wrench. I have a nice Stanly that's no longer than your screw driver($10 at wallyworld). It will also do the work of all those box wrenches. I'd throw a few zip ties(large and small) and some electrical tape in there too.
The one other thing I noticed that you don't have is an 8mm socket or ratchet. Those are good to have too.

Thanks,
The 1/4" ratchet and a couple of sockets are at work but will fit in as will the other stuff you mentioned. You can pretty well strip this bike to the frame with an 8mm socket.
I have the crescent wrench as well but I like the box end and the little extension fits over my tire irons which I might just cut down so they fit in the tube and use the extension for leverage.
I will also carry a tiny voltmeter and some electrical connectors etc. Also a tire pump and patch kit.

dan888 03-01-2009 01:27 PM

Nicely done!

punkenduro09 03-01-2009 07:12 PM

you want to start selling those, ill be the first on the list. let us know how it holds up when you ride.

redpillar 03-01-2009 07:58 PM

You can everything from your closest hardware store. I just bent the 3/16 aluminium in a vise. I think the total cost would be less than 15 bucks maybe twenty if you had to buy a ten foot piece of 3"pipe. The caps are about 2 $ each.
Hey punkenduro, what is the range of your big gas tank?

KLXPRESS 03-01-2009 08:56 PM

Clever!!!!

redpillar 06-06-2010 01:24 AM

Update on this bad idea,

I was just going through some old posts and found this. I have to tell you that the helmet lock tab broke off one my trip along the KVR so this is not a good idea.

RaceGass 06-06-2010 01:39 AM

You still have a great idea there. You just needed to add one more slightly beefier tab rearward of the helmet tab, weight over stressed the one tab is all. Plus it looks like that tab is only welded on the back side.... even a hose clamp and a small bracket would probably suffice to bolster the helmet tab.

Now its time for your new and improved version.