Time to graduate to a 450

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 01:16 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

So what are you going to do with the KLX340 mustang? You keeping it? Id like to ride that 450 when we ride ANF again... i like those alot!

Old 02-21-2011, 01:49 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Absolutely you can ride the 450. I'm hoping to do a lot more riding this year, both at the ANF and down your way, so I'm sure we can get together.

For now, I'm keeping the 340. I'm going to put the stock gearing back on and use it as my dual-sport/fire road bike. If the big KLX turns out to be my "go-to" bike, then I'll eventually sell the 340, but if it turns out to be too much bike for me, I'll sell it and keep riding the 340. I'm just itching to get some seat time on the 450, then I'll decide at the end of the year.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:52 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Im itching for any seat time about now, the other night i rode the KLR to bike night. Was nice to ride. Sucks to see snow again. Im anxious to get the klx in one piece again with the new springs in it. Now i can ride faster/harder. Maybe i can move up in our "A" group of riders...lol.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:09 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Yeah, that's exactly what you need, to ride harder and faster. I'm more like Schmoe - I just want to keep up, lol.

There's been a foot and a half of snow on the ground here since December, and underneath that is ice. I damn near layed a bike down trying to push it from my basement to my garage! I sure hope that woodchuck was right.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:26 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I can understand where you're coming from on the issue of wanting to keep the KLX and get a dedicated dirt bike, Arctra. Unless your commute has some decently high miles at high speed, the KLX will continue to fulfill that need just fine. Plus, if whatever pure dirt bike you get goes down for a few days for repair, parts, or whatever, you won't miss a weekend ride with the use of the KLX.

On the Honda vs KLX issue, I think the KLX450R is the better choice for hardcore trail use. You already touched on the durability issue, and while the Hondas have improved, they are not the equal of the KLX450R in that department. Kawasaki eased the tune and engine component design on the KLX450 to yield more service life. Some might point to Hondas victories in Baja and other venues to prove superiority, but that probably comes as much from the willingness of Honda to pour money and support into those venues for success. Now, that's not to say that the Honda is a "glass slipper" of a bike just waiting to grenade. It' isn't. Still the KLX450 has a tougher motor. If you were a motocrosser, the Honda would be better. If you were comparing the KX450F to the Honda, I'd say flip a coin.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:33 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustang
Yeah, that's exactly what you need, to ride harder and faster. I sure hope that woodchuck was right.

yea i hope so too.....

Old 02-21-2011, 08:09 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

My buddy just got a left over '08 KLX450R brand new, he watched them take it out of the crate. He's had it about a month or two now and likes it a lot. It needs the usual stuff, like JD Jet Kit, handguards, etc. He just got an FMF pipe for it and said that really helps it breath, and also drops 4.5 lbs, the stock pipe is huge.

I rode it, it felt pretty good to me, if there's one area where it might work you a little harder would be in tighter twisty stuff. It loves to go, though, and feels very stable on open ground.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:36 PM
1st Gear Member

I bought a left over 2009 CRF450x brand new in November. I plated it and I love the thing. That is after I rejetted it. The bikes won't even run right with the stock jetting at least when it's cold outside. I still have my KLX 250s and I'm going to keep it. I think they're both great bikes. I was looking for a KLX 450R but I couldn't find one. I got a great deal on the x and it's an awesome bike. I don't think you can go wrong with either a Kawi or a Honda. I looked at a KTM but I just couldn't justify the nearly $10,000 price tag. I rode a friend of mines EXC 530 and I personally feel more comfortable with the feel of the Honda anyway.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Sadly for the KLX, I think at this stage I am going to make a final offer on the CRF. There are just few too many questions that cannot be answered with the KLX I looked at. The condition of the CRF is better generally, the owner is a mechanic and he could answer all my questions about its jetting etc.

The KLX owner is the second owner, knows nothing about the high level history of the bike - so has no idea what jetting, springs, etc. It has just left an uneasy feeling in my gut whereas the CRF pretty much ticks all the boxes.

Thanks for the advice, opinions, and challenging my decision to make sure I have thought carefully about my choice. Now to see if I have lost out on the bike because I hesitated :-)

Old 02-22-2011, 01:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Good luck! Having an owner invested in his bike is great...even better he's a mechanic.

Quick Reply: Time to graduate to a 450