Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   KLX 250S (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/)
-   -   Time to graduate to a 450 (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/time-graduate-450-a-34933/)

Arctra 02-20-2011 03:45 AM

Time to graduate to a 450

When I originally got my KLX250 back in May last year, I had 2 aims in mind for it. As it turns out, I got 2 things out of it, but slightly different from my original intention. I wanted a daily commuter that served as a weekend trail bike. What I got was a daily commuter and an awesome project bike to learn on and gain confidence with wrenching on it. I have come to realise that I am asking WAY too much of it to be a trail bike for the weekends too because I keep breaking it (which affects my daily commuting) and have managed to make a bike less than a year old look like a 3 or 4 year old bike.

So I have decided to make the KLX250 a full time road bike and get myself a more powerful and trail worthy 450. After much research and scanning the second hand market for over a month to see what's available, I have narrowed my choice down to 2 bikes:
  • 2008 KLX450R with 1400km's on the clock and "fat bastard" springs (both forks and shock though I am not sure what weight they are for other than "heavier")
  • 2008 CRF450X with 1800km's on the clock and necessary bits on it that the KLX doesn't have (bash plate, rad guards, bark busters)

I love the idea of the KLX450, but it is not in as good condition as the CRF (dodgy clutch cable, AIS crud, dodgy header pipe) which is in perfect condition. The KLX clearly has superior low end torque, and one thing you hear about the KLX that you never hear about the CRF is that it has a bulletproof engine. But it looks like Honda have sorted out their valve issues on the CRF-X now making the engine decent enough, and power wise they have tons in the mid to upper rev ranges, and aren't exactly slouches down low.

When I work out the cost of getting both bikes to the same sort of level there is basically nothing between them. When i say "same level" I am talking:
  • FMF Powerbomb header - more necessary on the KLX to get to oil filter easily, but will boost CRF bottom end closer to KLX
  • FMF Q4 slip-on - more necessary on the CRF which has stock muffler, but the aftermarket muffler on the KLX I am not sure about
  • Jetting - the KLX might be OK as it already has an aftermarket pipe, but the owner doesn't know if it was rejetted when fitted. CRF will be fine at first, but with new pipe it will need to be done.
  • Bash plate, rad guards, and bark busters for the KLX - CRF already has them
  • Springs for my weight - probably only need to do the CRF as the KLX will probably be close enough for me
  • Both will need new tyres and air filters and stuff.

Does anyone have advice or an opinion to offer? At the moment, because the CRF is in better general condition and pretty much ready to ride (bar the heavier springs). But I can't shake the idea of having the 2 Kawa's in my garage. That's why I say, any advice would be welcomed.

Stroker331 02-20-2011 04:25 AM

Often times it's hard to tell if general maintenance has been done on an unknown bike and the devil's in the details. Plus they have relatively low miles on 'em. If both are in good condition, you couldn't go wrong on either one. I know more people without valvetrain problems with crf's than do. An acquaintance who tested one of the first christini awd '04 crf250's hasn't had any issues by keeping fresh oil and a clean airfilter in it. Arguably those years have been at the forefront of the valve issues but guys who maintain don't have problems. Of course buy a wrf and you probably could run a paper towel for an airfilter and it'll last.
Is it that you would like to have another kawi? I like to try other makes so I'm not THAT loyal but I do lean towards yamahas.
Try out both bikes if possible as they're different in feel and somewhat, function. Good luck!

neilapples 02-20-2011 06:18 AM

I dont understand the "I keep breaking it comment"...... What are you breaking that you are not going to break on a 450???

My brother rides a 2008 CRF450x and he breaks more stuff than I do + he has to service his a crap load more.

Arctra 02-20-2011 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by neilapples (Post 438991)
I dont understand the "I keep breaking it comment"...... What are you breaking that you are not going to break on a 450???

I fully expect to break the 450 too. Difference is, I will have the week to fix it while I use my KLX250 to ride to work on Monday after a weekend's ride.

And if I get a second bike, I may as well get one that suits the riding I will be doing on it, and one with more power (which i seem to be continually be striving for with the KLX250 :P), one which is lighter and one which is more manageable on tracks and trails.

And if I break it on the weekend, I break it and fix it...

neilapples 02-20-2011 10:29 AM

Fair enough although I would go down a different path……..

I know everyone is different and has different abilities but why not get a street bike for the daily commute and keep your KLX (or sell it and get the 450) for the weekends? Seems odd to have 2x dirt bikes and only use one for the actual dirt. Yeah you could motard the klx for the road but you’d only want more on road power and eventually.

Just my .02 cents….

CousinLarry 02-20-2011 02:18 PM

Doesn't make too much sense, but do whatever you want to do!!

I'd say make the KLX a trail warrior, then get a second bike as a road-only bike. KLX sucks as a road-only bike.

And I too am wondering what you keep breaking? I ride the crap out of my KLX on the trails and I barely ever break anything.

Stroker331 02-20-2011 03:49 PM

I totally undestand having 2 bikes for different things or even for the same thing. Variety is the ****e of life...among other things. I like the statement saying you'd like something that's more manageable on track and trails.:D
The big bikes are lotsa fun but deserve some respect....I fondly remeber a kx500 a few years back that would bring smiles to my face in the open stuff!

Feral Donkey 02-20-2011 03:51 PM

Yeah, the KLX really is a moped on the pavement.

Arctra 02-20-2011 07:54 PM

I hear you on the idea of getting a "proper" road bike, and in an ideal world that's what i would do. But back here in reality I actually find the KLX250 more than adequate for my daily commuting needs. If I needed to travel further on more open roads I would have to get a better bike, but the reality is my commute is only 15km's and I can only go as fast as 90km/h for about 1km of that. Which is why the KLX suits it just fine - especially when I put more paved-road friendly tyres on than the current Dunlop D606's.

I bought my KLX brand new - my first new bike ever - and have sunk a lot of time and money into it. If I sell it I will get half of my money back at best - and the bike is not even a year old yet. The reality is the 2nd hand market here for KLX's isn't great and there are always KLX250's on eBay going for bargains. With a market like that I foresee myself keeping the KLX250 till either it or I die. Smart money is on the KLX250 outlasting me :rolleyes:

So you ask why I don't get a cheap street bike and use the KLX for trail riding - well it's pretty simple really. The KLX250 is just too heavy (especially when combined with my 125kg's on it) and underpowered. I can address the power by dropping another grand on getting a big bore kit, a couple hundred on a power/megbomb, and help a bit more with the bike handling by dropping a few hundred on revalving. But then I would just end up with a "less compromised" dirt bike that is heavy rather than a true dirt bike that is light and powerful. And that money gets me half way to a good 2nd hand CRF/KLX450.

At the end of the day I love the KLX250 and want to keep it. It has served its main purpose by getting me back into riding, and will continue to serve its purpose as my daily commuter. Now I just need to choose between sticking with Team Green or putting one of my feet in the Red camp.

Repairs/upgrades since May 2010 when I bought the bike:
  • FMF Powercore4
  • Dynojet kit
  • Kouba screw
  • 13 tooth counter sprocket
  • #38 pilot jet
  • MSR gear shifter (bent original)
  • New fork and shock springs to suit my weight
  • New chain (poor quality one that I didn't lube straight after washing so it rusted and didn't last long)
  • Another new chain (Renthal this time)
  • new 14 tooth counter sprocket and 46 tooth rear sprocket
  • New Pro Taper Universal handlebars (bent originals)
  • Edge LED tail light kit
  • Bar risers
  • Goodridge braided front brake line (kinked original)
  • 3 sets of new indicators (kept breaking teh rear ones till I used trailer lights screwed to fender)
  • New VPS barkbusters (seriously damaged the EGO's that came witht he bike)
  • Scorpio Radiator Guards
  • Dunlop D606 tyres (front and back)
  • Heavy duty tubes
  • Rim locks
  • Renthal twinwall handlebars (bent pro tapers after going over handlebars on steep downhill)
  • Fat footpegs (bent originals in a fall)
  • Front brake lever (broke original in the same fall as damaging the EGO barkbusters)
  • FCR 35mm pumper carb and a selection of different jets
  • Timing cover cap (broke original in fall)
  • Second set of wheels of a 97 KLX300 (will rpobably sell these)
I have spent more than half the value of the brand new bike on upgrades and maintenance.

mustang 02-21-2011 12:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I was right where you are last fall, but for different reasons. I had already turned my KLX into a weekend warrior and wasn't doing any commuting with it. With the 340 kit, mine has plenty of power, and I had Moto-Pro do the suspension, but what I wanted was a lighter bike. In gnarly rocks, my KLX340 would get to be a handful, while my friends on KTMs, Huskys, and Husabergs had less problems.

I was seriously considering either a Husky TE310 or KTM 2-stroke, but they were out of my price range. I then ran across a leftover 2008 KLX450R at a dealership that was less than half the price of a new Husky. There was a shop near me who specialized in licensing off-road bikes, so I couldn't pass it up. Turns out, PA issued me a real motorcycle title anyway. I put a Baja Designs dual-sport kit on it, got a plate, and now I'm just waiting for the snow to melt.

I bought my 450 late last year and only got 1 real ride on it, aside from tearing up my yard. :) Completely stone stock, it easily has twice the bottom-end power of my 340. The power is very linear with no big hits, but it has gobs of torque. For those gnarly rocks I mention earlier, it might have too much power (we'll see this year). It also feels very light when riding - I can throw it around at will, where my 340 takes some work. Being a 5-speed, it runs out of gears quickly, but it can run 55 MPH without crazy RPMs.

Because the KLX450 is jetted so lean stock, it runs hot, flames out, and is hard to start. These traits aren't as bad as other stock bikes, but they're still bad. I rejetted mine with a JD jet kit and larger pilot jet. Try hard to verify if the bike has been rejetted, because it is a total PITA to get the carb out. PITA = the subframe has to be unbolted and the rear shock has to be removed! No matter what the seller tells you, buy a new battery for it. The stock KLX450 batteries are crap and don't hold a charge long. Also, do some research on the head pipe. I was thinking of replacing mine either with a KX450F headpipe or the FMF, but those who have tell me that they really take away low-end power and add a large hit to the mid-range. One thing neat I found out about the KLX450 is that plastics are dirt cheap compared to a KLX250s. For just over $200 you can get all new OEM plastic (fenders and headlight shroud included), if you wanted to make the KLX look new again.

Here's my 450 the day I brought it home.
Attachment 15460