Throttle Tube Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 10:08 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Throttle Tube Replacement

I'd like if someone would guinea pig a different throttle setup together. The stock one is not very smooth and has alot of slop on the bar.

Old 01-31-2007, 10:21 PM

From a little research, I can say that the KLX300 part # for the throttle assembly is different than for the KLX250S. The diagram looks the same, but I have learned the hard way that this is not a guarantee of anything.

I found a couple of pics of a KLX300-compatible throttle tube from Motion Pro. If anyone has looked at their throttle tube lately (Eric!) maybe you can tell if this looksto be the same or very similar. My thought is that the cam might be a touch bit different, but I don't recall for sure.

Name:  throttlepic2.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  16.0 KB

Name:  throttlepic1.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  16.3 KB

Old 01-31-2007, 10:58 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Name:  throttlepic2.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  16.0 KB

From this view..... it looks damn close to the stock one..... but i havent taken it apart enough to see the other end of it... maybe if you can recall your escapade from FL, when you tried greasing your throttle cables....

Old 01-31-2007, 11:02 PM

What do you mean "tried"! I got them nice and lubed just fine. It was the re-assembly that was the problem. Luckily someone came along and suggested that I unhook the lower ends instead of wrestling the top ends. That was a good lesson learned. I will be using that bit of wisdom again soon (probably tonight) when I finish up the grip replacement.

Old 01-31-2007, 11:03 PM
1st Gear Member

http://www.jokermachine.com/itemoffr...;Placeholder=0

Who's first?

Old 01-31-2007, 11:10 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Luckily someone came along and suggested that I unhook the lower ends instead of wrestling the top ends.
yea im more than just a crazy rider,,, i usually have some pretty good ideas.... Its the drafter in me... i think different than 99% of people....

I bet that would work, fit wise, as i have the throttle assembly fresh in my mind.... but for $190!!!!! no thanks

Old 01-31-2007, 11:32 PM

It looks like MotionPro makes a couple of push-pull replacement assembly for really cheap.

Here is a link to one of them:
http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/01-0073/

I am not sure if it would be required to replace the cables, though. Another page on the MotionPro site explains a bit about their approach to replacement throttles. Here it is. What do you folks think.

http://www.motionpro.com/tech/articl...throttle_kits/

My hope is that I can just by the 01-0073 kit and swap it straight for my existing throttle assembly keeping my original cables.

I hope I can salvage my existing assembly when I remove the grips. If I trash the throttle tube, though, I will probably give this a try.

Old 01-31-2007, 11:39 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Looks like a winner to me chris.... just make sure the cables fit into that assembly... for 20$ what the hell.

Old 02-01-2007, 03:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Here's my $0.02. The throttle tube is made of some very slick plastic, possibly nylon. That spray adhesive is fine for paper or cloth but the rubber on plastic I don't think it will be as permanent as you think, at least I've never had good luck with it for anything. A trick in the radio controlled hobby is to take the tire and wheel assembly (rubber to nylon or plastic) and put it in boiling water for a few minutes, but make sure the plastic and the rubber don't sit on the bottom of the pan. That should loosen up the adhesive if you find you can't just slit it and pull it off. Also, if you can peel up an edge, give it a shot of WD-40, that stuff is a great adhesive remover, I used it to take the bumper stickers of a used car I bought a few years back, took all the residue off with just a rag, no scraping.

Old 02-01-2007, 04:37 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cwgoff

What do you mean "tried"! I got them nice and lubed just fine. It was the re-assembly that was the problem. Luckily someone came along and suggested that I unhook the lower ends instead of wrestling the top ends. That was a good lesson learned. I will be using that bit of wisdom again soon (probably tonight) when I finish up the grip replacement.
Ha ha, that's funny. Not because you did it, but because I did the exact same thing. That is, struggled trying to get the throttle assembly back together for a long time and it just wasn't going. Then finally I bit the bullet and unhooked one of the cables from the carb and viola, it went right back together as easy as pie.

So don't feel bad ... either that, or we should both feel bad, lol

Quick Reply: Throttle Tube Replacement