Throttle Tube Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 07:51 PM
Default Throttle Tube Replacement

Does anyone know about compatibility of our throttle tube with other bikes. I ask because I have some new Pro Grips 714s that I want to install, but I glued my grips on pretty good when I replacement my handlebars a while back. I am sure I can cut the grip off of the left side, but I expect that I will end up having to damage the throttle tube to get the right side grip off.

If that turns out to be the case, then I will need to replace the throttle tube. I checked the Kawasaki site and got the part number for the right side grip assembly (46019-1093), but this includes the grip and throttle tube. When I check for other bikes that use the same assembly, it is basically just our bike and the Super Sherpa. That being the case, I am wondering which aftermarket throttle tube I can get that will mate up properly with the throttle bar assembly.

My hope is that the only thing that makes this assembly different is the specific grip and not the tube itself. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks,
Chris

Old 01-31-2007, 08:02 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Throttle Tube Replacement

There isnt anything special about our throttle assembly... so i would imagine that an aftermarket one would work, as long as it clears the starter button and kill switch box.... cause the stock tube, the cables go over that box....

Old 01-31-2007, 08:08 PM

Just to clarify, I am just talking about the plastic tube that rotates. I don't think I will need to replace anything but that.

Old 01-31-2007, 08:13 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

If thats all your replacing your probably going to have to get a kawi part.

Old 01-31-2007, 08:54 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Chris, you shouldn't wreck your throttle tube getting the grip off...
The glue is designed to stop the grip from rotating on the tube, but it's usually not hard to peel the rubber away from the plastic (once you've sliced down the grip). I guess it depends on the glue though - I use Grip Glue made for grips and it works that way.

Old 01-31-2007, 09:05 PM

Jason,

I am definitely going to give it a shot. I hope it works that way. I am a little nervous because I did not use Grip Glue or anything like that which is specifically designed for this. I used spray adhesive and I intentionally let it set for about 60 seconds to allow it to cure for a "permanent" fit. At the time I never thought about replacing the grips at some point. Oh well, live and learn.

I am hoping that when I look at it that I see that I did not do this on the throttle side. I specifically remember doing it on the clutch side, but I recall debating with myself on what I should do on the throttle side. I can not remember which side of me won the argument, but I have a bad feeling that it is glued on pretty tightly.

Wish me luck.

Old 01-31-2007, 09:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Chris,the plastic tube is pretty smooth, the glue doesn't ussually adhere to it very well. You should be able to remove any glue by peeling it or using a light solvent.

Old 01-31-2007, 09:14 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Good luck. You might want to check on one of those fancy aluminum throttle tubes. I think you can get them for $30 or $50 or thereabouts. I think they are all pretty standard - just pick one for push-pull cables.

Old 01-31-2007, 09:31 PM

sullydirt, let's hope it works out that way. I will probably give it a shot tonight. I am going to start with a small screwdriver and Simply Green and go from there.

Brian, I have seen the aluminum tubes on rockymountainatv.com and whatnot. They seem to be machine specific though. Do you think it is one of those things where they only vouch for compatibility with a few machines but really it is pretty generic?

Old 01-31-2007, 09:40 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I had thought they were generic, but I'm probably be wrong about that. I don't know why they would be all that different, though. I was intending to replace mine with one at some point, so I had not yet made a selection. But as with most things, if you can find one that claims to work on the KLX300R chances are it works on ours as well. I think the throttle assembly is the same, but I haven't actually compared the actual part numbers yet.

Quick Reply: Throttle Tube Replacement