throttle discovery

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 11:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Just checked mine, full throttle stops the butterfly linkage thingy at the stop on the carb... there may be more travel if the stop plate is removed but then you would have to figure out a way to hold the cables to the carb.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:04 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wildcard
Just checked mine, full throttle stops the butterfly linkage thingy at the stop on the carb... there may be more travel if the stop plate is removed but then you would have to figure out a way to hold the cables to the carb.
The throttle stop isn't adjustable, Scott. It's fixed just as wildcard states. If you were able to rotate the linkage any further, the butterfly would rotate past its flat, WFO position, so there's nothing to be gained there. Mine has the throttle plate (butterfly) perfectly flat at its optimum point when hitting the throttle stop. I'm still thinking the OP might have had too much slack in the cable. That's about all that could stop the throttle from fully opening if he was able to open it fully by hand. If the throttle linkage was hitting something, it would probably still hit if operated by hand...at least while bolted up in the bike.

It may also be that the rider positioned in a crouch or such to reach the linkage may have contributed to some speed as already suggested.

Old 10-26-2012, 04:34 AM
red
1st Gear Member

Yes I was crouched when operating the carb by hand, but had been crouched earlier in the ride without this much change. All the linkage was still bolted on, only difference was that the pull cable from the throttle had snapped.

It's not the throttle stop on the carb, it only goes to the wide open position. Can't go any further than that without losing airflow through the carb. Must be that the throttle cables did not allow enough movement on my bike. Other than lube I had not messed with the throttle cables.

Could be that the throttle cables on mine were not adjusted correctly from the factory to allow for the full travel, thats all I can think of. Might be a good idea to take a look and see if anybody else has this issue.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:53 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

The easiest way to check this is to go to your bike, using the throttle on the handle bars open it all the way, then use your other hand and see if you can move the actual throttle on the carb any further...

Old 10-26-2012, 01:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by red
Well made the trip across Texas without much issue on my 09sf (besides my *** feeling like it got hit with a 2x4). Ran into a problem with my throttle about 50 miles before I got home, snapped the throttle cable randomly. Jerry rigged the other throttle cable into place which gave me up to 6k rpm's, roughly 60mph which is too slow for the highways out here so I decided to just reach down to the carb and operate it by hand.

Before the cable broke I could not get the bike over 82mph on flat road. Working the carb by hand I was able to go above that without issue, hell could take the bike up to redline in 6th gear with ease. Does the stock throttle cable on the 09 and up bikes not allow for full movement of the carb?
That part is why I want to know for sure that there is no restriction.

Old 10-26-2012, 03:12 PM
red
1st Gear Member

Take a look at your throttle adjustments then, you might have the same problem I had. That last part of the ride when I had to work the carb by hand was done out here on flat terrain, with a 10ish mph tail wind, 3,000ft elevation. Only power mods are the snorkle removed, dynojet stage 2, and fmf Q4 slip-on. Bike is an 09 250sf, rolling on 120x70x17 pirelli mt21 tires, with me riding crouched over (practicaly laying on top of the gas tank/handlebars) at 165 lbs.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Damn, I ran out to the garage all excited that you'd discovered an easy way to get some extra top end out of the little KLX, but all I discovered is what others seem to have as well: the throttle is limited at WOT by a flange on the carb body itself, not the throttle grip assembly or cable. Guess I'll carry on in the slow lane...

Old 10-29-2012, 03:27 AM
drm
1st Gear Member
Default putter putter

the slow lane is where its at...

Attached Thumbnails throttle discovery-pic_0127.jpg  
Old 10-29-2012, 09:44 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by drm
the slow lane is where its at...
Just because its a gravel road doesnt mean you have to go slow....

Old 10-29-2012, 05:41 PM
drm
1st Gear Member

yeah, i know after years of zipping along on a sport bike, i now realize how much i missed along the way.

Quick Reply: throttle discovery