Is there a Starting Problem Fix?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 08:39 PM
Default Is there a Starting Problem Fix?

Fellow riders,

I am new to this forums as of today and so far enjoying what I see. My father owns an 07' 250S but is more computer illiterate than myslef and definetly would not know how to use the site. The main reason I am on the site is to find and share things about the bike, which leads to my first few questions.

I have read the "starting problem" thread but it isrunning-on and does not come up with a definetive answer or fix for the issue. I will try the technique of letting the fuel run out on his bike as a quick fix, but I know that he will not like to do this all of the time as he is a bit more of a "friendly" user, and does not want to be using techniques to get around an issue for the rest of his life. Is there a fix for this issue? Say, modifications to the carb or something that would make it start easier, even if it cost money?

I have owned and still own alot of motorcycles and have not run accross a motorcycle that has this hard of a time starting as the new Kawi does. In an effort to keep the thread clean, if you could only post if you have input to the issue it would be greatly appreciated as I do not want to start a debate about anything else.

Thanks in advance!
Ride on fellas -geppy

Old 11-20-2007, 08:44 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Is there a Starting Problem Fix?

Hi Geppy! I know mine started a lot easier after I rejetted the carb with a #125 Main and a #40 Pilot (Keihin jets). Let the opinions begin...

Old 11-20-2007, 08:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Geppy,
First off, Welcome.
Secondly,You have witnessed thatyou will get 50 different opinions on how to go about starting the KLX after a long period of setting. There are some that haven't experienced this problem at all. But the easiest way or at least the one that seems to take the least amount of effort is to shut the fuel off at the end of your ride and let it run out of gas. Then when you go to start it up just turn the fuel back on and it should start right up. We obviously can only speculate as to the cause of the problem, but untill a different fix comes around the pike, the Deej method seems to be the easiest to do.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:02 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Welcome Geppy, you have indeed stumbled onto the premier site for KLX enthusiasts. As far as the hard starting, jetting for my bike didn't really make a difference in how easy it started. While I fully endorse the "deej" method, I would love to have someone show us why this bike does what it does. It should not be doing this at all. But we persevere in our findings and thirst for an easier way. If you do find an answer out there be sure and share it with the gang here as this has been the common problem with not everyone here but most. Both XT 225 bikes in my garage do exactly the same thing if you don't run the gas out. And yet the TW 200 will start instantly after sitting for months. It makes no sense to me.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Purchase aftermarket exhaust, open up airbox, iridium plug - rejet and enjoy. Maybe change up your gearing while your at it (13 tooth cs), and the bike takes on a whole new personality (and starts easier).

Old 11-20-2007, 09:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Geppy, I think it is impossible for us at KF NOT to get into a debate about anything! Read all the prior posts concerning your problem and make your own evaluation but be prepared for the barrage of suggestions (some good, some not so good) and arguments - most of us just patrol the joint looking for someone to say something stupid and then jump on them. It's fun. It's what we do!

"Some people are like a Slinky.....not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs."

Old 11-20-2007, 10:39 PM
1st Gear Member

i dealt with this problem at first with runnin it dry if it was going to sit more than 3-4 days. since then i have opened the intake/exhaust with common mods and dont seem to have this problem much anymore.

edit: of course the above mods required a re-jet.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:44 PM
1st Gear Member

I guess I've been pretty lucky. I don't even have to chokemy bike most the time to get it started unless the temp is under 40. Even then, with the choke, it still starts up quick.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:44 PM

Welcome! I have a 2007 and I turn my fuel off and let it run while I get out of my riding gear. Shut it down for a week go back out turn on the gas pull out the choke and it fires right up Last Sunday it was 33deg. Started in a second.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Running it out of fuel is your best bet. Rejetting the carb will help, but I don't think its the entire solution.

Quick Reply: Is there a Starting Problem Fix?