TBR M7 slip-on is now only ‘excessively loud’

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 10:43 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by go cytocis
@klx4me: interesting, does it work well? what holds the pipe in place?
Both the inner & outer stainless pipes are welded to a flat steel disc which is the same OD & thickness as the P1X flange. This is clamped in place by the muffler end cap.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx4me
Both the inner & outer stainless pipes are welded to a flat steel disc which is the same OD & thickness as the P1X flange. This is clamped in place by the muffler end cap.
Did you use an O-ring like the one that comes with the sound-reducing tip? How deep inside the silencer does the pipe extend?

Old 06-03-2012, 11:19 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by go cytocis
Did you use an O-ring like the one that comes with the sound-reducing tip? How deep inside the silencer does the pipe extend?
O-ring not required. The outer pipe is 5" long & the inner is about 3". They are flush mounted to the steel disc i.e. they don't extend inside the spark arrester inside the muffler. This was my first attempt & with my revised design, I'm thinking of extending the inner tube inside the spark arrester like the P1X.

It works well. Still loud enough to let motorists know you're next to them when you crack open the throttle.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rgoers
Well, the sound meter experiment was a bust! Tried it on the KLX in the garage and it was reading 96 dB at idle. Revving it to 4000 RPM yielded a 110dB reading. I tested it on the push mower at a very low idle today... 98dB! Really???? You can talk without raising your voice standing right next to the mower. The F16s coming off the base were reading 98dB as they flew over... and they're LOUD! So, in the end; I'm not trusting the cheapo meter I bought for any real measurement data. The readings I have gotten are WAY too flaky.
Too bad. What brand is this meter? What's the reading in the living room while watching tv?

As others have pointed out, you should at least try outside the garage, and positioning the meter as per the picture below:

Old 06-04-2012, 10:28 PM
1st Gear Member

THANKS! The drawing helps A LOT!!! I was pointing the end of the meter straight at the pipe, directly behind the outlet, at 0 degrees. Should have had it 90 degrees to the imaginary line drawn at 45 degrees. I think that will make a significant difference!

The meter is a cheapo brand I got on Amazon for somewhere around $30. Typical reverse-engineered China quality... HQRP is the brand, and the model is JTW-1352. I saw the same meter being sold under different brand names as well.

I compared a lot of specs before getting it, as there are a LOT of meters under $40. I picked the one with the best accuracy I could find in that price range (plus/minus 1.5 dB). Some meters costing a lot more were as bad as plus/minus 3+ dB accuracy. Bottom line is: I wasn't planning on spending a lot, so "you get what you pay for" is true here. My son has a much better meter ("music recording and technology" major), but he lives almost 3,000 miles away. Maybe I can get him to bring it next time he comes to visit.

Meanwhile, I will re-try the measurement out in the field next time. Gotta get away from the houses here! They're packed as dense as 5 houses on an acre of land. Sound bounces all over the place, even in the driveway or the street.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:09 PM
1st Gear Member

i have a 2 brothers slip on for sale.... cop1071042@yahoo.com

Old 08-25-2012, 02:01 AM
1st Gear Member

run my share of sound checks at enduros using the 20" at 45 deg method. It makes a difference if your on grass or on pavement , or if it's open behind or beside the bike or there is a truck parked there. Or even if another bike is parked there waiting his turn.

If you put your hand up behind the pipe and feel any of the exhaust pulse the pressure will register higher. Depending on the outlet shape and aim 20" and 45 can give a high reading, move the meter a bit and it's fine. Airbox noise and the engine clatter also add up against you, we give a aircooled bikes more slack, (actually nobody ever really fails)

Old 07-19-2013, 10:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Frustrated Noise Snare inventor cancels program in Calgary

It's with mixed emotions I read the above article regarding the cancellation of the so-called 'loud vehicle snare' program in my home city.

On the one hand, good riddance! The last thing our society needs is more regulation. I'll take noisy freedom over quiet tyranny any day!

On the other hand, it's sad that some folks can't regulate their own actions well enough that these kinds of silly laws are instituted in the first place. The urban chopper crowd who enjoy parading up and down the same street sounding like a bunch of flatulent hippos need to understand that the only attention they are drawing to themselves is from law-makers.

I am sure this won't be the last time loud pipes come under scrutiny but at least the issue is 'silent' for now.