Suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 01:36 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Suspension question

I would like to "bump up" my suspension. I mainly just want to reduce the risk of bottoming out. How many different adjustments are there? Front Forks? Rear Shock? etc... Please give some advice on what nuts to turn & which way to turn them. I would like to just increase everything together one "click" and then take some of my favorite jumps to see how they feel.

Thanks

Old 11-27-2007, 01:50 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Suspension question

There is a lot of reading here all aboutsuspension that should help you out. The very first thing you should do is make sure you have the correct spring weights for your riding weight. If you don't it is impossible to get everything adjusted correctly as you will read.

http://www.planetklx.com/techtips/suspension.shtml

Old 11-27-2007, 01:58 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Well I'm sure with my weight and the KLX suspension I probably shouldn't be doing any 40 ft table top jumps with it, not that I would attempt that anyway but I do have to say that on one of the last group rides back in September in Tahuya, Tony adjusted my suspension and I went from bottoming out here and there once in a while to I couldn't get the bike to bottom out for nothing. Now if a 260 lb rider can say that, wellthen there is hope for the rest of you out there. I'm not sure which one he adjusted, but if he's reading this maybe he can tell you. All I know is it felt like a whole different bike after that.

Old 11-27-2007, 02:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Deej, not much to adjust on the front other thanstiffening up on the compression adjuster. On the rear you can adjust the pre load (tighten up on the big spring) and also stiffen the compression. At your weight, if you are running stock springs, you really wouldnotice a HUGE difference for the better with just new springs and following the directions in the Suspension Adjustments in the link I provided.

Old 11-27-2007, 02:21 AM
1st Gear Member

That's probably true if I was jumping the bike, but the bike works great for me. But if someone wants to be able to get some air then re-valving and springs are probably in order.

Old 11-27-2007, 02:57 AM
1st Gear Member

No, not true Deej. You don't have to be a "jumper" to benefit. I stand on my beliefyou would notice a dramatic change just swapping out the springs and doing the proper adjusting. The bike will have more stability and much better handling.Definitely worththe couple hundred bucks in my book.

Old 11-27-2007, 04:25 AM
1st Gear Member

this bike is commonly refered to as "the rockinghorse" due to the weak front springs... havent you guys noticed the way the front drops when you use the front brakes? a simple swap for a proper set of front springs is known to make a huge difference in this bike regardless of air time.

Old 11-27-2007, 04:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Ok...Ok A friend of mine who has been riding and racing for years, said the same thing.....dang it I hate when you guys are right.[8D][8D][8D] I'll look into it.

Old 11-27-2007, 02:17 PM
1st Gear Member

I was doing some snooping in the on-line catalogues I usually order parts from and they only have one set of springs listed for the KLX250..I believe they were 41kg something or other, but I also remember reading Nobrakes installing stiffer front springs into the klx250..does anyone know what springs will fit in there? and maybe recommend a stiffness...a part number would be terrific!!

Old 11-27-2007, 02:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Who makes fork springs for our bike or what are the dimmensions of our springs, same as the KLX300?

Quick Reply: Suspension question