Surging and related issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 07:07 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Surging and related issues

First of all, yes...I have been doing some searches on this forum for an answer and have found lots of info but most of the bikes i read about had been modded.....

My KLX is stock and only has 1500kms on it. I`ve noticed a surge while riding anywhere from 3000rpm to 8000rpm. I didn`t notice it until last week. This is not when I`m accelerating. just on steady throttle. I did the work around for the rectifier ground and no difference.
I've also noticed that from throttle stop to 1/8 throttle, there`s a slight hestitation before it accelerates. It's warmer today (20 celsius) and the hesitation is less pronounced, but the bike still surges. All is fine under hard acceleration. The transition from idle to throttle is where the hesitation/very slight bog happenes regardless of gear. If I decelerate and then slowly apply throttle, it stumbles abit until I turn more throttle.
I tried pulling the choke out slightly when riding around 5000rpm and the surging goes away....too lean? Pilot or needle position?

The only change I made was the gas station where I bought my last tank of 87 octane from....maybe bad fuel? I can't be 100 % sure it didn't happen before the last fueling.

Thanks,

Ian

I haven't adjusted anything. I'll wait to hear from some of you first.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:11 PM
1st Gear Member

I've been dealing with this too, but it's gotten a lot better. Mine happens between 6,500-7,500 RPMs which is probably around 1/2 to 3/4 throttle.

I adjusted my mixture screw to be a little richer. That helped a little bit. But then recently I put in high octane gas and that helped a little more. I still think it's there, but ever so subtly. Definitely not enough to warrant anymore screwing around with it.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:39 PM
1st Gear Member

For me it was my main jet being too lean, once I did the DJ kit I don't have a surge.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:09 PM
1st Gear Member

check each link on your chain carefully https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...stutter-40033/

you might be able to screw something on the plastic cap covering your a/f screw and yank the cover off (space is limited, but i think it would be possible)...maybe turn out just a bit using a screw bit to richen slightly and see if that helps like brain mentioned...since you mentioned you have it stock...

worst case is pull the carb and check/clean your main jet...check the entire carb....not sure if you let you bike sit for long periods of time...

Old 05-15-2013, 09:02 PM
1st Gear Member

So but if it was a main jet, wouldn`t I feel that during acceleration and full throttle? Not while just driving?
I ride the bike almost everyday so it shouldn't need cleaning BUT...it's possible theres some filings from factory in there.
Does the seat come off to adjust the clip/needle height?

and yes ...I'll find a way to pop off that cover.

Thanks for the help

Ian

Old 05-15-2013, 09:49 PM
1st Gear Member

When you ride on freeway or holding almost wide open, that's where the main jet does its work and where the surging is happening right?

Old 05-16-2013, 01:13 AM
1st Gear Member

If it's anything less than 3/4 throttle, then it will be the needle jet and pilot closer to idle. I don't think that the needle position is adjustable from the factory(mine wasn't) so I think that a jet kit will cure your lean surge.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:27 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RockabillSlapMatt
When you ride on freeway or holding almost wide open, that's where the main jet does its work and where the surging is happening right?
No, it happens in any gear and most noticeable after 3000rpm. I think I have 2 issues. I'll adjust the fuel screw first...

If it's anything less than 3/4 throttle, then it will be the needle jet and pilot closer to idle. I don't think that the needle position is adjustable from the factory(mine wasn't) so I think that a jet kit will cure your lean surge.
The needle isn't adjustable on these carbs Hmmm. Ok, I guess the posts I read all had carbs with the jetting kit.

Im also gonna burn off this tank of gas and refuel at my normal gas station and see if that helps.

Thanks again.

Ian

Old 05-16-2013, 02:47 AM
1st Gear Member

I've been dealing with this for years. Ground mod didn't fix it. 1/2 tank of mid-grade fuel and it went away.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lotrat
I've been dealing with this for years. Ground mod didn't fix it. 1/2 tank of mid-grade fuel and it went away.
When you say "half tank", what do you mean?

Ian

Quick Reply: Surging and related issues