stopped at the dealer today and sat on a...

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 09:03 PM
1st Gear Member

After my last trip to Death Valley, I'm really feeling validated in my preference of SIMPLE machinery compared to fancier, more complex stuff.

On my second day, we ended up with a broken-down BMW X-Challenge. The owner shut it off and it wouldn't restart. Battery voltage was pretty low, and no matter what, we couldn't get it to restart. Every time he turned on the key, the computer would reset itself. We finally had to ride back to camp and send a truck out for him.

Also on my second day, a noob rider on a WRX250X (with pathetic dirt tires) dumped her bike on a muddy trail at low speed. The drop broke off most of the plastic surrounding the headlight, snapped off a mirror, severely damaged her instrument planel, and bent her handlebars. Later in the day (prior to the BMW breaking down), I had to ride this piece of crap down a few rocky sections. The throttle was a total pain in the *** due to the EFI. You had to slip the **** out of the clutch or it'd stall. Very annoying.

On my third day, we had an hour-long break while the rider of a KTM990 had to find and reinstall a plug that fell out of his exhaust header -- where his O2 sensor used to be. He had removed the fuel injection system and switched to carbs (for reliability) but when the plug came out, it was a major safety issue because the exhaust gas was being blown directly onto the gas tank. So fortunately he found the plug and was able to reinstall it... after removing a lot of plastic, the crash bars, and one of the gas tanks. A lot of work.

So yeah, I'll keep the simplicity of my carbureted KLX250S and DR650.

Rob

Old 04-13-2012, 01:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Looking at the spec comparison a few posts back: KLX has the longer stroke = more torque. For the win. IMHO

Old 04-13-2012, 01:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ol'klx-er
Looking at the spec comparison a few posts back: KLX has the longer stroke = more torque. For the win. IMHO
Torque does not make you go faster but it sure does make the bike more better in the hills. Not as much need to shift etc.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jhoffy22
& you would almost undoubtedly have valve problems at low mileage with the honda. Either way, the klx 250 with the 351 big bore makes it a bike of its own. nothing comes close to the curb weight/power ratio in dual sports. The bigger bikes might like the 650s but who cares about the curb weight because they are too heavy to do any real trail riding anyways.
I don't think so. that motor is nothing like the CRF250R andX motors.
AND, those motors have gotten the valve issuesmostly sorted out.
I really liked my CRF-X transmission and wish my KLX shifted as smooth and positive as the Honda. I was a Honda guy my whole life and now have a KLX and a Suzuki. All the bikes have advantages and disadvantages. Those of us who have stuck with the KLX know why, and those who are lurking and on the fence as to what to buy,, dont turn your nose up at this great little machine.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Subasaki
nice lookin bikes...high price tags,and higher maitenance from what i gather...
Not really. They're very reasonably priced, and for the race bikes that most of them are, they're quite rugged. Their 2 strokes are known to be very reliable, and go several years between re-rings. Not bad for a competition 2 stroke.
When I was shopping for a dual sport, it was between the KLX and a TE 250. The Husky dealer told me to buy the KLX if I was going to do much road riding. The TE is essentially a plated race bike. They are so tall that I can't even tippy toe on a 125. I need a step stool to get on one.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:33 AM
1st Gear Member

maybe its the orange bikes im thinking of as far as higher maitenance

Old 04-13-2012, 02:10 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by zomby woof
Not really. They're very reasonably priced, and for the race bikes that most of them are, they're quite rugged. Their 2 strokes are known to be very reliable, and go several years between re-rings. Not bad for a competition 2 stroke.
When I was shopping for a dual sport, it was between the KLX and a TE 250. The Husky dealer told me to buy the KLX if I was going to do much road riding. The TE is essentially a plated race bike. They are so tall that I can't even tippy toe on a 125. I need a step stool to get on one.
ZW, actually on the new '12 model TE250, saddle height is less than an inch taller than the newer KLX, and it's the same height as my '06. The dual sport street legal models are designed to be much more reliable and not as finicky as the pure off road and race models.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RobG
After my last trip to Death Valley, I'm really feeling validated in my preference of SIMPLE machinery compared to fancier, more complex stuff.

So yeah, I'll keep the simplicity of my carbureted KLX250S and DR650.

Rob
PRECISELY!!! Why do you guys think I own and ride old $hit???? Bulletproof, reliable, reasonably inexpensive and user-friendly to repair just about anywhere with simple hand tools!

Old 04-13-2012, 04:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
Honda ROCKS!!!!!!! shhhhh wait who said that?
I only ride RED!

Name:  IMG00104Small.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  76.9 KB

Old 04-13-2012, 06:05 PM
1st Gear Member

I had heard about some new lowered height TE's, but that the numbers would be very limited. The larger bikes are probably tame, but when I was looking, the TE250 dual sport was a plated competition woods/enduro bike. Most of the people that I know that have them (there's a big dealer locally, and they're VERY popular here) have had nothing but good luck. I'd love a WR125. If they ever build a lower version of that, I'd buy one.

Quick Reply: stopped at the dealer today and sat on a...