stopped at the dealer today and sat on a...

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 10:41 PM
1st Gear Member
Default stopped at the dealer today and sat on a...

Husqvarna or 3.

Nice bikes. Things I noticed from the get go. Wider bars and taller too. Much more firm and perhaps narrow seat. MUCH MUCH MUCH firmer front suspension as a MUCH MUCH firmer rear. Foot pegs were twice the size and the kick stand does not stick out so far.

Very nice bikes. I sat on the 250 and 350 and looked at the 510. They should be nice for the $.

I also sat on this retro moto Guzzi for fun. Man it was heavy. I looked over at my reflection and thought hey I look cool

Old 04-11-2012, 10:49 PM
1st Gear Member

nice lookin bikes...high price tags,and higher maitenance from what i gather...

Old 04-11-2012, 11:24 PM
1st Gear Member

sitting is okay, but don't ride it...the temptation is too great!...hahaha...

Old 04-12-2012, 12:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Be careful when you go to toy stores.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:47 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I'm not so sure on the severity of the Husky service requirements...at least as compared to its peers like KTM and the Japanese big 4. Our KLX is indeed a low service vehicle relatively speaking. I'd love to have a 310 or 250 street legal Husky model. Husky has been working to make these more reliable and durable without giving up a bunch of power or adding a bunch of weight. Those two street legal small-bore models really get my attention right now.

Still, I was just prepping my KLX for my annual 2-3 week trip to southern Utah for the end of the month. I went all over everything on the bike. Changed the oil, put a fresh/oiled air filter in, lubed the chain, put a little Stan's sealant in to top off my Nuetech Tubliss tire setup, and...that's all she needed. I even checked the valves a few weeks ago, and they hadn't changed since the first valve check I did in '09 when I bought the bike used. I've put several thousand miles on this bike, mostly getting flogged in off road situations. After spending a few bucks on this thing with a 300 jug, some really decent suspension respringing and revalving, and some smaller less expensive upgrades, I gotta admit that it's hard to argue with the service and satisfaction I've gotten from this bike.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:54 AM
1st Gear Member

true that

Old 04-12-2012, 01:56 AM
1st Gear Member

So far the KLX is fine by me. I will at some point change out the front springs. Even with Daily commuter duty they are too soft. If I had a REAL panic stop I think I would go over the bars with the major dive on braking.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:47 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I'm going to take a guess and say that most of you are domestic car fans but if any of you happen to be Honda vehicle fans then you can attest to the reliability of a Honda. The KLX 250 is in my eyes the Honda of dirt bikes. (Honda dirtbike & quad reliability can't match up to their own vehicles.)

Although, I do have a 1986 honda trx 350 quad that runs perfectly fine. Great quad. Not a thing wrong with it.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:06 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jhoffy22
I'm going to take a guess and say that most of you are domestic car fans but if any of you happen to be Honda vehicle fans then you can attest to the reliability of a Honda. The KLX 250 is in my eyes the Honda of dirt bikes. (Honda dirtbike & quad reliability can't match up to their own vehicles.)

Although, I do have a 1986 honda trx 350 quad that runs perfectly fine. Great quad. Not a thing wrong with it.
The problem with Honda is that they didn't exploit the lead they had in 4-stroke trail and DS bikes in the 80's and with the later water-cooled XR650R. In the big XR they had the platform for a big bore DS bike that would have been superior to the KTM690 IMO. Heck, their air-cooled XR series is still better than the stupid 60's era 230cc engined bike they kept and still have as their only DS bike below the 650. Honda is way better than this, and it's a shame and downright dumb that they have pursued almost nothing in the DS arena.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:55 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Honda is way better than this, and it's a shame and downright dumb that they have pursued almost nothing in the DS arena.
That could change if they bring their 2012 CRF250L to the US.

Honda|Honda Movie Channel|東京モーターショー2011 二輪ステージ映像 「CRF250L」

Quick Reply: stopped at the dealer today and sat on a...