Stock CVK vs. Pump Carb

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 04:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WestOzKLX
If you want a DRZ. THIS is the model to go for. More power than the SM and S models. Flat slide carb' and fully adjustable shocks all round. Tried and tested more than once in our harshest conditions. A true legend down here.
The DRZ400E.
Yep, thats the one.
Don't worry about the conventional forks, they work very well.

Old 10-11-2008, 04:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
U let me ride your bike in FL, and i thaught thats what you had done, was just the 300? Did u have a pumper on it?
LOL...just havin fun on the net. Just F'n with ya.

I gotta check and see if you actually read the threads you are supposed to mod.

No it was stock jetted cvk and 300 jug at the time.....remember Marty's buddy insisted on fixing my float in the cvk which was leaking gas all over the trail during the ride unless I gassed it....so I gassed it alot on that ride.

I even accidently popped a wheelie pulling out of the "klx work area" after the float tweek and a 40 pilot install. Then you wanted to ride it.....and you did...you were gone like a half hour..at night..lol.

Old 10-11-2008, 03:38 PM
1st Gear Member

For CV carbs, that Keihin is about the best. Very easy to jet and it works great. I'm going 330 this weekend but will keep the CVK for now. I'm less interest in raw power than smooth power. I'm a little worried that the 330 will add piston inertia and a little too much power. I know, that's not a typical opinion, but I have my reasons.

I find my confidence in a bike drops as weight, power, and engine inertia increase. You can WFO the smaller bikes, whereas you have to be more careful to not stuff yourself into a tree with really powerful machines. Smooth and not too powerful is where I want to be, because power is only one variable in the equation. I like the 250-size bikes and like the KLX. This rider is tech savvy and can afford the KTMs, but purposefully chooses more humble mount for intellectual fun.

Being a long-time observed trials rider, when I need lot's of 'power', to eat a steep hill or pop over a rock or ledge, I use wide-open throttle and a clutch dump. Wind up those flywheels and slip-dump the clutch. It's amazing how much thrust you can get from an anemic machine!

Anyway, raw power with lots of noise and pit-racing posturing have little appeal to me. Using experience and technique to make the humble work well... not that is fun!

Old 10-11-2008, 06:28 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WestOzKLX
If you want a DRZ. THIS is the model to go for. More power than the SM and S models. Flat slide carb' and fully adjustable shocks all round. Tried and tested more than once in our harshest conditions. A true legend down here.
The DRZ400E.
not sure about the aussie version, but the E DRZ in America gets the CV carb. the one you posted is a US spec DRZ"S". the E is not street legal. the DRZSM, if you read the DRZ forums, is the one people tell potential buyers to get for reasons I stated. it accepts the dirt wheels/tires with no mods and has way better swingarm and suspension than either of the E or S models. the SM forks are monsters. the DRZSM sits a smidge lower which makes it easier to ride than the very tall S and E models since most lower those to begin with to bring the center of gravity down and touch with their feet.

Old 10-12-2008, 01:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 09KLXowner
not sure about the aussie version, but the E DRZ in America gets the CV carb. the one you posted is a US spec DRZ"S". the E is not street legal. the DRZSM, if you read the DRZ forums, is the one people tell potential buyers to get for reasons I stated. it accepts the dirt wheels/tires with no mods and has way better swingarm and suspension than either of the E or S models. the SM forks are monsters. the DRZSM sits a smidge lower which makes it easier to ride than the very tall S and E models since most lower those to begin with to bring the center of gravity down and touch with their feet.
This is our 'S' version. Less power than the 'E' version.

This is our 'SM' version. Same engine as the 'S' but with forks and swingarm from the RM range. Less power than the 'E' version.

The DRZ400 "E" has "Legend" status down here and far outsells the other 2 models for good reasons. IMO, throw a $1000 at the 'E' model and at would make a better motard than the SM model available.

Old 10-12-2008, 05:51 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

it USED to have more power, but the three are identical nowadays. back in the early years, the E model had different cams, carb, timing, etc. now, it's not so lethal with no FCR anymore. they all need updated imo. no inverted forks, and late '90's styling is dated. the engine is a marvel of reliability and torque though; but it needs a new 6-speed gearbox badly.

Old 10-12-2008, 10:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 09KLXowner
it USED to have more power, but the three are identical nowadays. back in the early years, the E model had different cams, carb, timing, etc. now, it's not so lethal with no FCR anymore. they all need updated imo. no inverted forks, and late '90's styling is dated. the engine is a marvel of reliability and torque though; but it needs a new 6-speed gearbox badly.
The e model is alive and well here in Aus with an FCR and all that comes with it.
http://www.suzukimotorcycles.com.au/...?intBikeID=131

14kgs lighter than the s and 16kgs lighter than the sm.
No question which is the better bike for off road use.

Oddly on the US Suzuki site, I don't see the e model listed.
Can you get it anymore?

Old 10-12-2008, 12:49 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Finger Mullet
LOL...just havin fun on the net. Just F'n with ya.

I gotta check and see if you actually read the threads you are supposed to mod.

No it was stock jetted cvk and 300 jug at the time.....remember Marty's buddy insisted on fixing my float in the cvk which was leaking gas all over the trail during the ride unless I gassed it....so I gassed it alot on that ride.

I even accidently popped a wheelie pulling out of the "klx work area" after the float tweek and a 40 pilot install. Then you wanted to ride it.....and you did...you were gone like a half hour..at night..lol.
I dont have as much goof off time as i did before, but i try to keep an eye on things... I might be switching jobs again too.

o yea.... i forgot about the float sticking... man that was a great ride. Me and chris pretty much rode by ourselves, all the other big bikes wanted to do dirt roads, we wanted trails.... omg i just remembered one of chris's dozen crashes on the hardpack dirt road going about 40 and he knocked the wind outta himself. pretty funny.

I wish i had the $$ for a 300 kit upgrade... thats all i really wanna do, just up it to 300.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
I dont have as much goof off time as i did before, but i try to keep an eye on things... I might be switching jobs again too.

I can understand that, I hardly check this forum anymore.....it's just lame now.

What type of job are you thinking about?? You just recently took the one you got now.

Are you thinking about moving out of Pitt.?? It's a rough economy right now for most but segments of the power industry are BOOMING....hint...hint.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:42 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Na not thinking about moving outta pitt... unless ya could hook me up with a nice cushy job down in FL in the power industry... lol... i have a buddy that i ride with thats an electrical engineer and works with power plants... hes busy as hell.

A job almost exactly what i used to do just came my way, and its alot closer and pays alot better, and work that i like doing. Yea i have been at my current place since aug 11. Money talks. But we will see.