Stock CVK vs. Pump Carb

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 02:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by USMCsilver
Agreed. One thing he didn't mention was:

No matter how much HP we have, we still want more -- no matter what -- we still want more.
There's always NOS.
Who's gonna be the first.

Old 10-09-2008, 05:06 AM
1st Gear Member

No matter how much HP we have, we still want more -- no matter what -- we still want more.

Soooo true, my lc4 puts out over 50 hp stock, but I had to jet it and pipe it....now looking at a big bore...lol

It will be and is my torque master.... just gotta mod.

EMS you've never ridden a klx with a 300 and the stock carb.

Last edited by Finger Mullet; 10-09-2008 at 05:37 AM.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:53 AM
1st Gear Member

True. Sort of.
Well I did ride a KX500 once.
For me that was waaaaay too much HP.
And it was like flicking a switch. Bang!
Hats off to anyone who can ride those things in the woods.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:12 AM
1st Gear Member

I really like to ride a CR500 or a KX500 to see how it feels lol

Old 10-09-2008, 09:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Isn't that the truth.

WRT pumpers, I'm on the other side of the fence. Wouldn't go back for the world. From purely a HP perspective, however, 'there's no substitute for cc's.' I just don't like the lazy/slow delivery of the CVK.

To each his own though.

OBTW that KTM450EXC 'beast' that you rode has a pumper on it, Eric. There's a reason for that. I hope your only frame of reference isn't Marty's pumper on a 250cc KLX.

Last edited by tremor38; 10-09-2008 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:43 PM
1st Gear Member

I never go back either Its day and night for me.

Old 10-09-2008, 12:55 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

EMS rode my bike. Thumper Racing 340 kit, Mikuni TM36 pumper, Magura 1/4-turn throttle, stock cams, stock gearing. At the time, he said he liked it, but maybe he was just being nice.

For the type of riding I do, I wouldn't trade the pumper for anything. I like the snap or "punch" you get when cracking the throttle. Even on the tight trails in my area, it's nice to blip the throttle and loft the front wheel.

Having said that, when we rode the Rocky Gap trails, I was at a disadvantage. When ultra-smooth throttle control was required in those nasty rocks, the combination of the pumper carb and 1/4-turn throttle acted like an on/off switch. Apply throttle - correct direction - repeat. Switching back to the stock throttle would certainly help, but I can see why Eric likes the CVK carb in those situations.

As for HP, I went with the 340 kit because they didn't make a 341 kit! If Kawi comes out with a 450 dual-sport that doesn't have a seat height up to my chin, I'll probably get one. Until then, I'll hang with my KLX.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:01 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Night and day difference, IMO, between the two. But let me qualify that with I've only ridden w/pumper after doing the 331cc upgrade, so maybe it is less than stellar on the stock 250. But on the 331cc and after proper jetting and getting the AP squirt dialed in, it is just not even comparable to the stock setup, totally different bike at that point.

However, I will whole heartily concur that if you are prioritizing mods, I would go big bore first straight to 331 or 340, do not pass go, do not stop at 300cc. That will be the most bang for your buck. But only do that after you do the usual stuff like pipe and airbox mods because you won't realize the potential of the big bore unless you open up the airflow, derestrict the exhaust, and dial in the jetting.

After all that, do the pumper and that's the icing on the cake and it is delicious.

Oh, don't forget the suspension. It's not very glamorous or fun to talk about, but its probably the most important mod that you need to do.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:20 PM
1st Gear Member

I Still have alot to learn about the suspension on these bikes well any bike at that matter... But im leaning torwards saving up for the 331 or the 340 kit, i just wanna research it more, cuase I would like to do it myself but im still a noob with this stuff but everything is a learning curve..

Old 10-09-2008, 04:22 PM
1st Gear Member

neilaction says "wouldn't be dead for quids". . . WTF? Am I the only person who doesn't know what that means?

Quick Reply: Stock CVK vs. Pump Carb