Stock CVK vs. Pump Carb

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 05:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by neilaction
Well I did ride a KX500 once.
For me that was waaaaay too much HP.
As you said, you rode it once. Thats nothing. Anyone that has a bike and starts modding it has had it for a while and they get use to it. Kinda like dopers getting use to drugs, the tolerance lowers so they need more. Same way with HP.

I had a modded CR500 for years. Like I've said in other posts, its not that bad. Yeah, the first day I had it I beefed it twice, thought I broke my leg the one time. Then I realized how the machine had to be ridden in order to keep the front end down and the back end straight and it was no different than riding any other machine. And they have so much power from top to bottom, running them in the woods is like riding a four stroke. Just make sure you have it jetted spot on so it doesn't foul plugs from loading up. I never once fouled one in my machine.
________
Iolite vaporizer review

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-29-2011 at 07:34 AM.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JasonFMX
As you said, you rode it once. Thats nothing. Anyone that has a bike and starts modding it has had it for a while and they get use to it. Kinda like dopers getting use to drugs, the tolerance lowers so they need more. Same way with HP.

I had a modded CR500 for years. Like I've said in other posts, its not that bad. Yeah, the first day I had it I beefed it twice, thought I broke my leg the one time. Then I realized how the machine had to be ridden in order to keep the front end down and the back end straight and it was no different than riding any other machine. And they have so much power from top to bottom, running them in the woods is like riding a four stroke. Just make sure you have it jetted spot on so it doesn't foul plugs from loading up. I never once fouled one in my machine.
I see your point.
I shouldn't come to any conclusion based on 1 ride.

But, I think for the "average" rider, there can be too much power.
And to some extent the manufactureres and buyers agree.
450's are the bike of choice for most people. Not 500+ bikes.
KTM have just released a 400EXC.
http://www.ktm.com.au/bike.php?bike=...ae12c282d12289
There is a test in the latest Australian Dirt Bike magazine comparing the 450 to the 400.
The consensus is that the 400 is, for most people, a faster bike.
Everything but the motor is identical.

And this is an intertesting move.
http://hellforleathermagazine.com/20...-and-tc-4.html
A 310cc enduro/trail bike.
Aimed at people for whom a 250 isn't enough and a 450 is too much.

One thing is for sure.
Too much power is something that KLX250 owners need not worry about.
And I think a lot of people, me included, probably bought the wrong bike.
Hence the never ending quest for more.

For me at 45, I'm coming from a different perspective.
There is no way I would have stuck with this bike if I was younger and just starting out.
The lure of more power would have dragged me away like moths to a light.
Recently one of the guys who works for me asked me what bike to get.
I gave him my advice which he ignored, and he bought a KLX.
He figured that if I bought one it must be good.
My advice to him was you will soon get tired of the KLX and be shopping around for something more, go for the DRZ.
Now, less than 1 year on, he is trading the KLX on a DRZ.

Heh this reminds me of a joke.

2 bulls,1 young and 1 old, standing on a hill looking over their cows.
The young bull says, "lets run down and go f#@k a few cows"
The old bull says, "lets walk down and F#@k them all.

Last edited by neilaction; 10-10-2008 at 01:00 AM.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:01 AM
1st Gear Member

I still think the large bore 4 strokes are too much for most. Sure you can gun it in a straight line and roost till the roos come home. Getting around a corner fast is a different story. IMO most people can go faster on a 250.

Old 10-10-2008, 01:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JasonFMX

. Since stuff is so freaking expensive I'm not going to just drop $1500 and buy everything because thats a ridiculous amount of money...and who knows. Someone might come out with a new model and size or a DR400 might pop up in the dealer and the KLX might get traded. So I don't want to sink too much time, money, work, and frustration into it all at one time, espeically when its over the winter and I can't ride it.

Comments....
Jason, I re-read your original post again and if was you I would save the money and keep an eye out for that DRZ.
Or if your wanting to stick with team green, a KLX450.
Your right, it can be expensive trying to get the most out of the KLX and in the end, it's still not going to be enough.
If you can ride a CR500 in the woods then you will want more.

Remember a bog stock DRZ smokes my highly modded KLX.
And a stock DRZ is a lot cheaper than my KLX.

Old 10-10-2008, 01:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Riding bikes in the woods is easy, riding on the track is where it gets hard, even harder than the steel ramps, those are easy too DRZ's are so rare around here. I just spotted an '03 with 6600 on it at a dealer. I'm very tempted to go up and check it out and offer to sell my KLX to my dad. I'm actually willing to go 3 years older and 4500 miles extra just to have the extra grunt and to not have to mess with it anymore. It's probably beat though, seems alot of the bikes that dealer gets in are. Ah, who knows, just thinking out loud.

The 450s around where I am are extremely common...well, all MX bikes are. You don't see WR's, or CRX's or anything like that. You don't see XR's, or DR's. When your off road you see straight up MX bikes 125s up to 500's 2 and 4 stroke, old and new. Or you see 4 wheelers. Usually utility or sport. You don't see really see mx quads like banshees or 450R's or anything. So what my point is is that all these folks are using them to ride in the woods, hill climb, race,...whatever. And these are people of all ages and sizes. And actually, according to the latest article I read. The 09 CR450 has more power than the CR500 ever did, if I remember correctly I think it has 56.5 HP, its insane! So ...... they pulled the trigger and they aren't letting off anytime soon in the power department. We just want more more MORE! And apparently they are giving it to us.
________
ZX14 VS HAYABUSA

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-29-2011 at 07:36 AM.
Old 10-10-2008, 03:33 AM
1st Gear Member

If I was going to ride off road 80 % of the time I would be looking for a 400 or 450 whatever brand, but as I ride about 60/40, I like the KLX. I just want to get it to loft the front wheel when I need to. Down the road, and because I am 54 or 55 (I can't remember right now) I would be like to have a long trip adventure bike, but I would still keep this green machine. I am able to get it over logs and up tight trails just not as easily as my old RM 400. I can see a younger guy not being happy with the power of this bike but it is also a great learning machine both from the riding and the wrenchibg aspect.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:01 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

If one is looking for a DRZ, I'd recommend the DRZSM. It comes with specific components the E and S models do not have. It gets the RMZ swingarm, inverted RMZ forks, larger more powerful brakes, better rear shock and more adjustable suspension overall, SM wheels/tires that also permit the mounting up of the dirt wheels/tires from the E and S models with mo mods required.
I can vouch for the DRZ being a torque monster, especially compared to a modded or stock KLX. I had a DRZSM between my KLX's. It was an awesome bike, full of power from bottom to top, power wheelies galore. But the bike has one significant downfall- it's gearbox. It needs a 6th gear in the worst way and if you're using it for both on/off road, one will suffer because of this depending what you're geared for the most. Weight-wise, I didn't notice any difference between my '06 KLX and the '06 DRZSM. No, I'm not starting a DRZvsKLX thread, but just thought I'd mention what I know since others have been comparing the two on this thread. If you want raw torque/power, bypass modding your KLX and find a DRZ as they come bone stock with 35 rwhp, early E's have a bit more (2 or so) because of the more aggressive cam. The early E DRZ's also came with FCR's, but newer ones have CV carbs. The S and E DRZ's come with ancient conventional front forks which look like *** imo although some say they work very well with their internals.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
personally i dont like pumpers..... and think they are a waste of that much money, id go bigger cc's first...... i have ridden a klx with 250cc, and a pumper, i have ridden another with just the 300cc kit, and ridden one with 340 kit and a pumper.... id just go 340/331... thats just me.
A pumper has pros ans cons to them. they are great when when it comes to some power they give you more snap when you really want to hit it. i know some people that have done this and have come out really happy. it is all up to your preference and if you want to spend the money. a con is that you can flood the engine really easy. so a fix to that is adding a hot start. good luck to all.

Old 10-11-2008, 01:01 AM
1st Gear Member

If you want a DRZ. THIS is the model to go for. More power than the SM and S models. Flat slide carb' and fully adjustable shocks all round. Tried and tested more than once in our harshest conditions. A true legend down here.
The DRZ400E.

Old 10-11-2008, 01:37 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Finger Mullet
EMS you've never ridden a klx with a 300 and the stock carb.
U let me ride your bike in FL, and i thaught thats what you had done, was just the 300? Did u have a pumper on it?

Mustang, i do like your bike, except the twitchy throttle, maybe it was the 1/4 turn on it. I was actually scared to loop it out... IMO i think it would have been better with the stock throttle... but you sure built a beast...... Awsome work on that head pipe!!!

Quick Reply: Stock CVK vs. Pump Carb