squishy front brake lever?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 12:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
I wouldn't know... all I have is my low line Haro... I have to suffer with a cable operated disc.

I wondered how they did that stuff with everything looking so "sealed up". I'll have to look closer when I get the chance to look at either the bikes at the shop downtown or my friend's tricked out MTB.

By the way, I do really enjoy the full suspended deal and find the shifters to be so incredibly better than the old stuff from back in the 70s/80s that I had. I've been riding it more than motorcycles or cars this summer. Any time I have to go to the post office (quite frequently these days) I jump on the bike and pedal (clipless pedals and MTB shoes, sweet). I can do the couple miles down and back in like 1/2 hour with brisk pedalling - I'm a spinner. Just a great time riding. I just need to get back on the bikes more.

I rode for the first time in about two weeks today, for a good purpose. To have a home inspection for a house on which our offer was accepted. It has an honest to goodness 22x22 attached garage that will allow me to consolidate my motorcycles in one place. Needs insulated and - something you guys seldom need - heat and I'll be good to go. Now for the stereo, flat screen, and fridge...
I don't have a great house but I do have a stereo and flat screen as well a big **** heater.

Its also pretty large so I have my gym as well as other stuff in it.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
There is a reach adjustment screw in the lever. That hasn't loosened up or fallen out, has it?

I am feeling a little silly as this WAS the issue. I had my wife help me do all 4 sides today (two bikes ) and the front of the KLX was still to spongy. I had not gotten time to order a bleeder yet but I had the time so I wanted to give it another try.

When I bought the bike that adjustment screw was not in contact with the piston? at the lever so I adjusted it in so that it was just in contact.

I did not realize that a little more adjustment would get me a much stiffer initial throw. So now the range is closer to the top of the lever pull rather than the bottom. Much better.

It turns out the rear and some air in the line as well as the fluid looking a but nasty. They are much better now. I need to be mindful on my first outing.

My Ninja 500 is also a 2006. I bet the fluid was original. Black at first and morning urine at the master cylinders. better now. They did not have any air in the lines so I assume all seals are still decent.