Speedo Correction?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 05:06 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Speedo Correction?

ORIGINAL: LearjetMinako

The problem with the odometer is that it is connected to the speedometer by the speedo cable on the front wheel. Only way to correct both is to regear, but so far, I've come up empty handed on these parts or the fact that might not exist. On today's trip, the GPS recorded 61.1miles and the KLX recorded 64.9miles. I like accuracy, just one my many traits that I have to live with, or at least a tolerence.
Looks like your off about 6% as well.

Old 06-11-2007, 06:21 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

While GPS speed is generally pretty accurate, it is not particularly good at measuring track distance - I certainly wouldn't consider it a "reference". Just the nature of it. Check your bike's odo against a car odometer. My odo was actually very close, but the speedo was off by 10 or 11%.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Do you really think that the odometer on my 1978 AMC Pacer Station Wagon is more accurate then my Garmin GPS?

Last time I check the Garmin appraised for more.

What I have actually discovered regarding my KLX’s speedometer accuracy is that it read 6mph high up to about 50mph and then it was +5mph, after I made the adjustment it now reads about 2mph low until 50mph and then it is 1mph low, this morning I was able to get the bike up 65mph were it was dead on. I understand that GPS’s are better at measuring speed then distance or altitude but form my best calculations I believe that my Garmin GPS-V is within about 1% accurate at distance measurement, the biggest challenge for me is remembering to turn the GPS unit on in time for it to acquire a signal before I take off; but for the last two full tanks of fuel I have been diligent and had two almost identical readings on the odo, at 100 on the odo the GPS reads 94.1 and at 130 miles the GPS read 122.9 which is roughly 6%. Now I’m not the **** but I do like things to work properly and if they don’t; I like to fix them if it don’t cut into my beer time too much. In this case I know it aint right I just don’t know how to make it right.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:32 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

All I'm claiming is that just because the speedo is off on the KLX, doesn't necessarily mean the odo is off. They are entirely seperate mechanisms inside the speedometer / odometer unit. The speedo is driven off of a magnetically coupled non-contact method, while the odometer is geared through a set of gears that is directly driven from the cable to the front wheel. To make my point, Learjetminako's first post said he was 6 MPH below at 50 MPH indicated. This is 13.6 % off high. A few posts down and a check against the GPS indicated only a 6% off on the odo. Therefore if you get one correct by somehow regearing the front wheel cable drive, the other will still be off. Like I said in my first response, I think the best you can do without going to heroic efforts is to simply adjust the needle and you can shift the error such that it is fairly accurate in the range you care about. That's all I'm saying.

If you do find a way to precisely adjust the speedo and odo, aside from going to an entirely different gage like the Vapor, be sure and post it up. I was just sharing my prior experience with it in the hope that it might be useful and/or be the spark to give someone else a better idea.

Cheers,

Old 06-11-2007, 08:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Oh no, I got you several posts back and I understood that the odometer and speedometer are two separate entities when it comes to the numbers they give. And so far I agree with everything you have written on this topic, just get off your *** and figure out how to correct this damn odometer now will you?

Old 06-11-2007, 08:42 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

TeamKLX250 has the answer.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:31 AM
1st Gear Member

NoBrakes, I'm sorry. Youare right that the speedometer & odometer are separate. I've been stuck on the princple of a electro magnet speedo rather than a cable driven one. So the needle trick will do the job fairly good. They both do the same job, but how they do itis different other than the speedo magnet bell.

Weekend project, just like the tires last weekend.

Old 06-12-2007, 06:24 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZX1100F1

Oh no, I got you several posts back and I understood that the odometer and speedometer are two separate entities when it comes to the numbers they give. And so far I agree with everything you have written on this topic, just get off your *** and figure out how to correct this damn odometer now will you?
that would be difficult seeing as he sold his KLX [&:]

Old 06-29-2007, 04:14 PM

Last week I compared my odometer against mile post markers for about 60 miles, and the odometer read pretty close to 4% high. This is consistant with the overall trip, which logged 150 miles on the bike vs. 144 in my car.

Old 06-29-2007, 11:35 PM
1st Gear Member

LOL! As if on cue, Nobrakes now does his best Rodney Dangerfield impersonation.

ORIGINAL: ZX1100F1