Speedo Correction?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 05:09 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Speedo Correction?

I've been driving around and hoping the new Kenda K270's may solve the little speedo error. Nope, still the same. I should have guessed since I put on the same size tire. So is there any way to correct the speedo? Maybe a set of gears that I can replace in the speedo hub or speedometer. I've already searched and found that its a common thing, but I don't like it when things are off, especially off by 10% below actual. I would like it to be within 1-2mph @ 50mph, instead of 6mph below actual 50mph.

Old 06-10-2007, 05:14 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Speedo Correction?

I think about the best you can do is to actually move the needle. It won't completely elimate the error, but it will shift it such that the speedo is more accurate in the range you care about the most. Here's the how-to:

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/m_105672/tm.htm

Old 06-10-2007, 06:18 PM
1st Gear Member

I followed the instructions in the above link provided by Nobrakes yesterday to the letter and on the first attempt got my speedo within 1.5mph vs. my Garmin GPS-V from a 0 to 50mph; which is all the faster I have gotten up to since the adjustment.
Now that the speedo reads about 1-2mph slow I am happy as can be, it seems that the faster I go the closer it is to right on, at 20mph it reads 2mph slow and at 50 it reads 1mph slow, close enough for government work.

One note though, on the 2007 model I had a 3rd silver 8mm (head size) bolt underneath the tach area that held the cluster to the bracket, this was a little bugger to get back in and if it weren't for this pesky little fastener it would have been a 15 minute job instead of 20.

Without the post by Norbarkes I would have had no idea to do this, thanks for taking the time to document this for us all.

Old 06-10-2007, 07:28 PM
1st Gear Member

I didn't think about moving the needle. Not usually a method of repair, but if it works, it works. So that will be my next project. I'll move it so its about 2mph faster @ 25mph and dead on @ 35mph and above.

Edit: I just remembered why I didn't think of moving the needle. It does not correct the odometer and leaves the raito's wrong. What a headache, but I guess I'll have to manage.

Thanx thou

Old 06-10-2007, 09:34 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

The odometer is completely seperate from the speedo, i.e., odometer gearing does not control the speedo reading. So anything you do to adjust the speedo reading wil NOT affect the odometer accumulation rate, and vice versa. The exception being to regear at the wheel itself. But I have no reason to believe that the actual odometer is off - it's certainly not off by the 10% that the speedo typically is. So I elected to fix the speedo as best and as simply as I could, but left the odometer portion alone which I never had a problem with.

Old 06-10-2007, 11:21 PM
1st Gear Member

My odometer is off by + 6%.

Old 06-11-2007, 12:47 AM
1st Gear Member

The problem with the odometer is that it is connected to the speedometer by the speedo cable on the front wheel. Only way to correct both is to regear, but so far, I've come up empty handed on these parts or the fact that might not exist. On today's trip, the GPS recorded 61.1miles and the KLX recorded 64.9miles. I like accuracy, just one my many traits that I have to live with, or at least a tolerence.

Old 06-11-2007, 02:59 AM

ORIGINAL: LearjetMinako

The problem with the odometer is that it is connected to the speedometer by the speedo cable on the front wheel. Only way to correct both is to regear, but so far, I've come up empty handed on these parts or the fact that might not exist. On today's trip, the GPS recorded 61.1miles and the KLX recorded 64.9miles. I like accuracy, just one my many traits that I have to live with, or at least a tolerence.
Are you talking about re-gearing the speedometer cable? Because changing the drive sprockets does not change the speedometer at all. It is connected to the front wheel.If the odometer is connected by the same cable it is going to be off by the same amount.

Old 06-11-2007, 07:40 AM
1st Gear Member

You want accuracy? YOU CAN'T HANDLE ACCURACY!!

Sorry just messing with ya[sm=icon_rofl.gif]

If you want accuracy get one of these

Old 06-11-2007, 12:13 PM
1st Gear Member

I did think about using the Vapor cluster. But I likethe analog gauges. I may just be stuck with it being 5mph faster than actual.

Yes, I'm talking about re-gearing the speedo cable hub on the front wheel. I understand that the rear wheel has no connection to the cluster.

Quick Reply: Speedo Correction?