Selling the KLX - do you guys allow for test rides?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 02:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Same here, no one has asked me for anything before a test ride. Some may put that in their ad just to keep squids and tire kickers away?

Last edited by DYNOBOB; 07-11-2012 at 02:47 AM.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Wow!! I think I'll at least try to come to an agreement with regards to money first and make the deal "pending a test ride" etc. Once they show up with money, i look at their licence, maybe take the keys of what they are driving and let them have a ride...

Either that or i meet them at a parking lot on a sunday and let them test it there.

In Canada, there are different stages of the Motorcycle licence. Only those with an M2 or above are going to test it. (that indicates that they have at least passed a road test.)

Going to call my insurance company to see what is covered in terms of test rides etc.

I know in some US States, the DRIVER is insured...In the province of Ontario, i belive the VEHICLE is insured.. meaning i'll likely be on the hook if a tester rides into a car.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Had a bad experience with a ZX7 Ninja years ago. Had the bike sold to an 18 year old (russian roullette) and definately no test ride. Was to pick it up the following evening so I rode it to work one last time. A mechanic buddy where I worked had been bugging me for a ride and begged me as this was his last chance. Swore up and down he was on bikes for years, raced them even, just not since I had been working with him. Well after warming up the radials, explaining all controls and gearing him up, he made it 50' up the lot and grabbed a mitful of front brake. Had to pick it up off of him as he never even moved his foot. Fortunately only his pride was hurt but $2700.00 Insurance claim later and paying for it for 6 years in premiums SUCKS!

No more test pilots for me. Sold my KDX 2 months ago and I showed the kid how it ran up and down the block.

Must say tho have test ridden a couple over the years on just a handshake. Honest face I guess