Selling the KLX - do you guys allow for test rides?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 01:48 AM
1st Gear Member

If you keep their license, you are pretty safe. If they ride away, you have their identification and picture. Also, since they don't have their license on their person, most people won't drive like insane maniacs for fear of the police nabbing them without their license.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Dude, all you need to do is hold on to their drivers license.

If he's not back in 5 minutes you have his ID and car, call the po-po.

Old 07-09-2012, 04:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jhoffy22
Yeah, you definitely have to use your best judgment based on a variety of different circumstances. For example, the first bike that I ever went and looked at was at a private sellers house off of Craigslist. I went with my family and our SUV and trailer along with all of my little brothers and sisters. The guy had absolutely no problem at all letting both me and my father take the bike for a test ride. It was a DRZ400.

You have to use your best judgement depending on how the person sounds on the phone, what they arrive in, who they arrive with, their demeanor in general, the area in which you are selling or going to look at the bike, the questions they ask you about the bike, etc.

Never hurts to Google someones name either just to make sure. Mike greene Raleigh, North Carolina etc.

Both buyer and seller should conduct an equal amount of due diligence. And of course, never hurts to have a concealed carry
Even though I'd be more worried about a noob wrecking it than someone stealing it, I like this (^^^) advice! It is pretty much what "I" do when buying/selling.

I think bringing someone with you, to stay behind while you test drive it, gives the seller a great deal of peace of mind. The additional pair of eyes comes in handy when looking it over as well. Lastly, there's an additional "voice of reason" to talk you into or out of a good/bad deal!

I can't count how many snowmobiles I went to see in the past couple years. Having my son with me was VERY helpful - he spotted issues I completely missed - saved me a lot of grief in the log run.

Last edited by rgoers; 07-09-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Motorcycle endorsment, a noob isn't going to learn on my bike as I've done this before. And common since stuff, if the dude can't start it or use the clutch smoothly I'll take him off.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:15 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by linkin5
Motorcycle endorsment, a noob isn't going to learn on my bike as I've done this before. And common since stuff, if the dude can't start it or use the clutch smoothly I'll take him off.
So linkin...I see you've seen the Allstate Mayhem test drive too.

I half figured to see dan888 photochopping a pic with my Alfred E. Neuman head attached to that Mayhem guy on the Harley right at the crash sequence.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:07 AM
1st Gear Member

I had a guy come out to buy my NX250, As he drove up I fired it up and rode wheelies and slid it sidways so he would see it was an impressive bike. He got on and ran the battery down trying to start it. I pushed it and got it going, he couldn't use a clutch, had to push him to get him going, ham fisted idiot. It was about 20 degrees out and he bought it and was going to ride it 20 miles home, once again (idiot), I pushed him down the drive and out of my life, well no he killed it about a mile away and came back for a push start. He finally broke the throttle cable and accused my of selling him a lemon (idiot) I told him to sick it finally and will not sell a bike to an idiot again if possible, If you are reading this and you recognize your self here, your an idiot.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Interesting question to ponder...
I guess over the 2-decade course of my evolving bike collection, I have never owned anything mainstream enough to attract any potential buyer who didn't already know something about bikes.
Likewise as a buyer, I usually show up in winter (when prices are at their lowest) on a bike of my own that I can leave in their driveway as collateral and as evidence it hasn't been laid down.
When purchasing from a seller who won't let me test ride, I am adamant about a clause in the bill of sale stipulating full refund within 24 hrs if I am unhappy with the bike. Otherwise, there are plenty of other fish!

Old 07-10-2012, 02:38 PM
1st Gear Member

A few things I consider. I think about selling a used $3000 bike no differently than selling a used $20,000 Ducati or 300hp turbo Hayabusa. I don't want to buy new $100 bars for my KLX or $2800 worth of plastic for my Goldwing after someone wreaks my bike on a test ride. At the same time, I've bought many used bikes and definitely expect to test ride before closing the deal.

If someone asks me to test ride I say "no problem, I'll need to hold some money and need you to sign a release". If they act funny about it I'll say "it's nothing against you, but I had a bad experience once". The thing is, if you don't have a signed document (saying they'll pay for damage) it doesn't matter how much money or collateral you hold, the courts will probably say you gave them permission to ride your bike and its your problem they damaged it. I've heard of people who say no test rides without signing a bill of sale first. The theory being, if they kill an innocent child down the street or hit a parked car you no longer own the bike. It's unfortunate but you have to consider this stuff. If you have assets and something bad happens lawyers will go after them. That's why some say "no test rides", a wreaked bike could be the least of your worries.

I figure if I have a signed "test ride release" that says they are "liable for damage to the bike and injury/damage to themselves or others" and I'm holding $1000 it has to be better than nothing (YMMV, consult your attorney). If they showed up without even a deposit to purchase the bike they aren't riding my bike.

Last edited by DYNOBOB; 07-10-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by linkin5
I didn't mean it that way... I wouldn't let someone without an M on their license ride it (period).

What I meant was: There are a LOT of "noobs" out there WITH motorcycle endorsements. THOSE are the ones I worry about... (see linkin5's post above, i.e. "idiots")

Old 07-11-2012, 12:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by DYNOBOB
A few things I consider. I think about selling a used $3000 bike no differently than selling a used $20,000 Ducati or 300hp turbo Hayabusa. I don't want to buy new $100 bars for my KLX or $2800 worth of plastic for my Goldwing after someone wreaks my bike on a test ride. At the same time, I've bought many used bikes and definitely expect to test ride before closing the deal.

If someone asks me to test ride I say "no problem, I'll need to hold some money and need you to sign a release". If they act funny about it I'll say "it's nothing against you, but I had a bad experience once". The thing is, if you don't have a signed document (saying they'll pay for damage) it doesn't matter how much money or collateral you hold, the courts will probably say you gave them permission to ride your bike and its your problem they damaged it. I've heard of people who say no test rides without signing a bill of sale first. The theory being, if they kill an innocent child down the street or hit a parked car you no longer own the bike. It's unfortunate but you have to consider this stuff. If you have assets and something bad happens lawyers will go after them. That's why some say "no test rides", a wreaked bike could be the least of your worries.

I figure if I have a signed "test ride release" that says they are "liable for damage to the bike and injury/damage to themselves or others" and I'm holding $1000 it has to be better than nothing (YMMV, consult your attorney). If they showed up without even a deposit to purchase the bike they aren't riding my bike.

I like this advice.

On the other hand, I test rode all three of my last bikes, within the past two years, all CL bikes, two listed as "no test ride without cash in hand", with no cash out, no signature, no showing of endorsement, just a handshake. I must look old and honest

Last edited by IDRIDR; 07-11-2012 at 04:59 AM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: Selling the KLX - do you guys allow for test rides?