Seeking KLX250 feedback from owners

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 09:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cdahl383
My other question is, how great or not great is the Suzuki DRZ400? I joined up on Thumpertalk recently and everyone over there is saying I should get a DRZ400. But when I sat on one at the dealer, the thing felt so big and heavy, and top heavy at that. Sure didn't feel like a bike I would want to take back in the trails even with knobbies. But a ton of people do it and seem to love it.

The KLX just felt right when I sat on it. It wasn't too high or low, I could flat foot it sitting on it, the bars felt right, all the controls felt good, the color looks great, and I know those single 250cc engines are bulletproof.

Just curious if anyone has had a DRZ400 and what they thought of it? I've had some recommendations of the Yamaha WR250R, but those are much more expensive, and frankly I'm not a big fan of how they look either.

I was shopping for a drz400sm and ended up with a klx250sf. If memory serves an uncorked DRZ makes about 37hp to the wheel which is probably about as much as a fully built/big bore klx's would be able to make. The DRZ does indeed feel top heavy, I found the suspension especially on the dualsport models to be quite "old fasioned feeling" for lack of a better explanation. Undersprung and some flex in the fork and/or rear end. With the 6 speed transmission on the KLX's I think they both do about as well/poorly as each other on the highway.
The klx felt much lighter and stiffer and it's a much better looking bike to my eye.

Old 09-06-2018, 04:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by lj-rubi
I'm a big KLX fan, but before I spent the money on a brand new one I would search for a clean KTM for the same money.
I looked around at some of the KTM bikes online last night. I found a leftover 2016 KTM 250 EXC-F (enduro) at a dealer near me for $6,995. I think brand new they are around $8K or so. Sure looks like a great bike, but that's still pretty expensive. I started off looking at used bikes, then considered a new KLX for maybe $5K, now some of these newer KTM's are around $7-10K. Couldn't believe it only weighs 235lbs and it has electric start and liquid cooled! The KLX is 300lbs or so and I'm sure the KTM has quite a bit more power as well. Even with equal power, pulling 65lbs less will make it quicker in of itself.

Probably not going to go with KTM, at least not right now. Maybe in the future, we'll see. But they are sharp bikes and I've heard great things about them.

Old 09-06-2018, 04:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RageHardIntoTheBendies
I was shopping for a drz400sm and ended up with a klx250sf. If memory serves an uncorked DRZ makes about 37hp to the wheel which is probably about as much as a fully built/big bore klx's would be able to make. The DRZ does indeed feel top heavy, I found the suspension especially on the dualsport models to be quite "old fasioned feeling" for lack of a better explanation. Undersprung and some flex in the fork and/or rear end. With the 6 speed transmission on the KLX's I think they both do about as well/poorly as each other on the highway.
The klx felt much lighter and stiffer and it's a much better looking bike to my eye.
I agree with you 100%. The DRZ definitely makes more power, but it also weighs 20lbs more or so I think. If you beef up a KLX you have a lighter bike that is more off-road suited and has a lower center of gravity. The DRZ felt top heavy to me when I sat on one at the dealer. Just getting on it I could tell it was heavier. I'm sure the power is fun, but not so sure it'd be fun lugging that through some back roads or trails.

The KLX I sat on felt great. It felt light and had a low center of gravity, everything seemed to fit me right. Plus I love the look of the bike, it looks great in that lime green color. I have a sublime green Dodge Challenger too and it would probably be a good match next to that car haha!

Did you get a new or used one? I've been seriously reconsidering getting a new one now. Used ones are about $2500-3000 for good low mileage types. New is probably $5K out the door with some bargaining and a rebate. Couple grand more and I'd have a brand new bike. Plus the new ones have fuel injection which I really like. Hoping to see some deals over the winter.

Thanks for your input!

Old 09-07-2018, 06:12 AM
1st Gear Member

the DRZ also has a narrow 5 speed transmission. I had one and liked it but always wanted that next gear, and ended up giving it to my son some years ago. now there are a couple of guys that make a different gear set, but they cost and you have to split the case to do the change. I was in the market, and if the right deal fell in my lap I would have done it, but I got a deal on my KLX first. I like it a lot & still working the mods. eventually I see it with a 350 kit

Old 09-07-2018, 03:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cdahl383
I looked around at some of the KTM bikes online last night. I found a leftover 2016 KTM 250 EXC-F (enduro) at a dealer near me for $6,995. I think brand new they are around $8K or so. Sure looks like a great bike, but that's still pretty expensive. I started off looking at used bikes, then considered a new KLX for maybe $5K, now some of these newer KTM's are around $7-10K. Couldn't believe it only weighs 235lbs and it has electric start and liquid cooled! The KLX is 300lbs or so and I'm sure the KTM has quite a bit more power as well. Even with equal power, pulling 65lbs less will make it quicker in of itself.

Probably not going to go with KTM, at least not right now. Maybe in the future, we'll see. But they are sharp bikes and I've heard great things about them.

I'd have one too if I felt I could afford it and actually needed it. It is surprising how light the KLX feels, all considered. By the way, don't take that 235 too seriously, with gas and all, it's likely closer to 245, but that's still a lot lighter. Oddly enough the KLX figure of around 289 with the older bikes was pretty darn close with gas and all from the tests in magazines where they weigh them.

Old 09-07-2018, 04:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dogmeat
the DRZ also has a narrow 5 speed transmission. I had one and liked it but always wanted that next gear, and ended up giving it to my son some years ago. now there are a couple of guys that make a different gear set, but they cost and you have to split the case to do the change. I was in the market, and if the right deal fell in my lap I would have done it, but I got a deal on my KLX first. I like it a lot & still working the mods. eventually I see it with a 350 kit
That's what I've read, the 5 speed trans isn't the best. Suzuki would probably sell the DRZ like mad if they put fuel injection and a 6 speed trans in it and maybe lightened it up 10-20lbs. But I guess if they continue to sell as is, why rock the boat.

I wonder how much power a KLX 331 or 351 would put out and how much that would affect reliability. I think I would probably go for a 13T front sprocket, airbox lid removal, and whenever a power commander is available in the US for that bike get one of those and fatten it up a little and put a better pipe on the back. I've ridden old four stroke 250cc bikes for years, so I"m used to their lack of power. I had an old Suzuki two stroke PE250 and that thing would blow away the old Honda 4 strokes, but it also needed a lot of work and wasn't street legal.

Old 09-07-2018, 05:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
I'd have one too if I felt I could afford it and actually needed it. It is surprising how light the KLX feels, all considered. By the way, don't take that 235 too seriously, with gas and all, it's likely closer to 245, but that's still a lot lighter. Oddly enough the KLX figure of around 289 with the older bikes was pretty darn close with gas and all from the tests in magazines where they weigh them.
You'd have to ride an awful lot and ride hardcore to really justify the price of those KTM's. They're nice bikes no doubt, but I would never fully utilize the limits of one of those bikes. I'm a casual rider, not a race type, etc. I'm sure they're a lot of fun though. Just not for me.

Do you know if the new fuel injected KLX is tuneable yet or not? I saw they make a Power Commander for them, but it says not for sale in the USA. Just wondering if I were to put a different muffler on the back and open up the airbox if the ECM could compensate for the additional airflow, or would it not even notice that and just keep on using the stock maps and run the bike even more lean? I'm guessing they are set up lean to begin with just for emissions purposes, but you don't want to go too lean with engines as a general rule of thumb. Maybe in the next year or so more will come out for the bike here in the states.

Old 09-07-2018, 07:08 PM
1st Gear Member

That's why I own a KLX. It is fine for what I'm doing. I do want to get the goodies on this fall/winter.

From what I'm seeing in the ADVrider forum there are some tunable boxes or attachments coming out.

Old 09-07-2018, 07:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
That's why I own a KLX. It is fine for what I'm doing. I do want to get the goodies on this fall/winter.

From what I'm seeing in the ADVrider forum there are some tunable boxes or attachments coming out.
Exactly. I think a lot of people think I'm going to be riding every weekend and thrashing on it hard. I'll just be riding now and then up north for fun, just casual rides, some fun trails, etc. No racing or hardcore off roading. Would be overkill to get a KTM 500 or something. Like driving a nitro funny car to work every day haha!

Sometimes it's hard to find time to get things like that done. Darn life gets in the way!

That's cool. I'm sure more stuff will come out as time goes on. It's the same for the Dodge cars...they come out, then a year or two later tuning is released and it really wakes them up. Now they are getting wise and locking down the PCM's, so you have to buy a spare one and swap PCM's to tune the cars. Hopefully the bikes you can just tune the stock ECM and alter the fuel/ignition tables slightly for better performance without decreasing reliability.

Old 09-10-2018, 04:11 PM
1st Gear Member

honestly, I purchased a 2007 wthout riding it because it was raining. It was completely stock. My first impressions...under powered. I was quite disappointed. I put on a slip on, I removed the lid and jetted to the specs mentioned in this forum. I considered the MCM mod. I went one tooth lower in the front. Still, it was underpowered. Couldn't lug in 2nd gear up an average hill offroad. I'm 135lbs.

This forum was wonderful. A lot of great advice on mods. See, that's the thing. this bike needs to be modded because in stock trim it's really a beginner's bike that's underpowered. the suspension was plush and I really liked that.

I sold my bike in the beginning of the summer for several hundred dollars more than I purchased it. That was after 2 years and 1000 miles. So it's a safe investment. These bikes are well valued and are unlikely to decrease in value at $2500 for a decent bike.

This forum is chock full of klx fanboys and fangirls, so I may be in for a beating, but I just wanted to put it out there for you.
Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Seeking KLX250 feedback from owners