royal purple

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 06:47 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: royal purple

These guys love to make crack jokes.

Since I also use Royal Purple, I did notice a clanking noise from the timing chain. Its notthe oil's fault since it also made the same noise when I ran Mobil 1 V-twin (20w-50). You may have the same issue as me, timing chain clanking. The clanking noise comes and goes around 5000 to 5500 rpms. Anything above or below that range, the engine sounds great. I suggest checking the cam chain adjuster and possibly manually adjust it 1 click (1 tooth) inwards. I adjusted mine 2 clicks (2 teeth) in and its been running quiter than every before.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:22 PM
1st Gear Member

WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWO... i thought you were never supposed to adjust the clicker manualy... i thought it did it on its own? you mean i dont have to endur that totaly anoying sound any more??? OMG i'm going to puke. i almost put my bike back to stock to have it looked at because of that sound. i knew it was from the chain, but i didnt think i could click it out manualy. how do i do it? just turn the bolt? or drain the oil take it out and move it? thanks!

Old 04-12-2008, 10:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey Brian google rac(reading anthracite company). They have like 25000 combined acres that they open up to riders for a $100 a year. You have to go up to pottsville pa to the company headquarters to buy the permit. They only issue so many a year, so if your interested pull the trigger relatively quick. Let me know if you get one, and I'll let you know when we head up to ride.

Jeremy

Old 04-12-2008, 11:46 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pie4foou

WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWO... i thought you were never supposed to adjust the clicker manualy... i thought it did it on its own? you mean i dont have to endur that totaly anoying sound any more??? OMG i'm going to puke. i almost put my bike back to stock to have it looked at because of that sound. i knew it was from the chain, but i didnt think i could click it out manualy. how do i do it? just turn the bolt? or drain the oil take it out and move it? thanks!
If everything works like its suppose to, then no. You aren't suppose to adjust it. But since the problem is with the tenisor not doing the job very well, I have toadjustit manually. Its very easy and only takes 5minutes. Locate the cam adjuster centerbolt. Remove it and the long skinny spring behind it. Take a long skinny screw driver and insert it into the hole andpush forward until you hear 1 click. Thats it. 1 click forward onlydid alot for me. Stopped the clanking noise which could be heard from idle and up. Now it softly does it around 5k-5.5k rpms.

Old 04-13-2008, 01:13 AM

Thanx for the info folks--I think I'll switch back next oil change!

Old 04-13-2008, 07:03 AM
1st Gear Member

10w-40 amsoil ....also get a permit and PM myself or Jeremy (cool change) and we'll take you out.Lot's o riding within an hour and a half drive......or you guys (jeremy) could man up and ride the bikes up there with me and we ride....LOL.....

Old 04-13-2008, 07:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey bryflyPA your in my neck of the woods. Where abouts exactly in the allentown area are you?

How many permits did RAC issue this year?Does RACeven know how much property they own and do they actually patrol it? I remeber when they first started offering these permits but I never got one because none of my riding buddies wanted to pay that much.

Eastern PA guys lets get together and ride.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:34 AM
1st Gear Member

RAC does patrol the land.....Just depends on where you plan on riding.I'll stay quiet because where i ride they do not patrol.They do patrol the areas to park and unload so be very street legal.....I like to park and ride on the street from my location so they can't pin me......Plus I go off their land anyway in other directions and i have some Killer lookouts from there......they never patrol there because no one ever goes there....They patrol heavy around Trevorton and St. Clair.....But those areas are so separated that you need a DS bike to get to them anyway unless you have the actual trail nailed down like i do with my buddies.I'll be up for a 3 day weekend on memorial day weekend so i'll be glad to show some of you guys around some......just be street legal!....I go in and out of the trails all day!

Old 04-13-2008, 08:13 AM
1st Gear Member

They own St. Clair? The land around walmart and home depot? I used to park in new philly and we would ride to walmart for food and drinks.Things have changed alot since I've been up there so I'm told. I know that area pretty well up there or did. I haven't been to Trevorton in forever.