Riding Skills

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 03:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
Do you have good stiff boots that allow you to shift back on the pegs away from the levers? I got a longer shift lever, mostly for easier shifting for my size 12 feet in m/c boots, but it also helped to prevent mis-shift.

Practice...practice...practice...

Yeah I need lots of practice. where do you rest Your foot on the peg, middle of your foot or proximal 3rd.
I'm using fox comp 5 riding boots which is stuff as hell on trails. Maybe it's just my foot placement.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Pogiboy
Yeah I need lots of practice. where do you rest Your foot on the peg, middle of your foot or proximal 3rd.
I'm using fox comp 5 riding boots which is stuff as hell on trails. Maybe it's just my foot placement.
I usually ride on the ball of my foot. Is that the proximal 3rd? Riding that way was something I read on Thumper Talk to help prevent injury. It was something I really needed to focus on after years on street with middle of foot on peg.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rgoers
I have a Dual-Sporting video that has some very good riding info on it. I forget the name of it right now... Oh, here's the website: Dualsport Riding
I'd have a hard time justifying $30 plus shipping for a 50 min. video.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
I usually ride on the ball of my foot. Is that the proximal 3rd? Riding that way was something I read on Thumper Talk to help prevent injury. It was something I really needed to focus on after years on street with middle of foot on peg.
I see what you meant. Thanks

Old 04-04-2012, 08:58 PM
1st Gear Member

One of the best desert riders I know keeps his elbows high enough that his forearms are parallel to the fork tubes. He says this helps prevent wrist injuries, as well as provides better natural responses to the direction of front wheel movement. I try to imitate the positions of the best riders I see, and I find that helps. Even better is to have these better riders give a clinic on riding tips. Learning to lock the front wheel and let it plow while going slow in 1st gear is a good one...as is standing over the front wheel and having the rear constantly slipping as you creep along at 1-2 mph. Uphill slalom (use a tennis ball cut in half for the obstacles) in first gear, with no momentum to start is another good one. Learning to go up a hill slowly, then hitting the kill switch and DO NOT TOUCH THE FRONT BRAKES, then barely feathering the clutch to allow your bike to back down the hill, and turning around while doing this, is another good technique to learn. Figure "8's" in first gear, where you look over your shoulder at the point behind you that you need to get to, and being able to do this at full handlebar lock is good. THEN, do this over a berm of a couple of feet high, where you really have to have the discipline to LOOK OVER YOUR SHOULDER, instead of at the berm, is another good thing to practice. Master these slow handling exercises, and you'll find you do better and better at faster speeds.