Riding Skills

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 07:03 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Riding Skills

I have searched without a lot of success so I hope someone can help. I have trail ridden a Suzuki DR200 in the recent past and just picked up an '07 KLX. I am a self taught rider which is another way of saying I don't really know what the helll I'm doing, and I don't have the luxury of riding with anyone who does know. Any suggestions on how to improve my riding skills without some hands on help? Thanks!!

Old 04-02-2012, 07:15 PM
1st Gear Member

I rode street bikes for a long time when I was younger, so I feel comfortable on the blacktop. But I need to do some learning either by suggestions from others or trial-and-error. I took my bike out yesterday for an extended amount of time in a variety of dirt conditions. The biggest area of improvement I need to make is in knowing how much gas to give it in mud and tough conditions. Yesterday I found myself in about a foot of mud and found myself having a hard time releasing the clutch and giving it enough gas to get out. I kept stalling. Finally I just opened it up full throttle and got out.

I'd like to learn more about body position during turns in the dirt and going up/down hills. I went up one good one yesterday but didn't go back down. A lot of it is getting comfortable with the bike in these conditions. The more comfortable I get the more willing I will be to push it and try new things.

Does anyone tape their wrist before doing aggressive riding? I twisted my left wrist after the handlebars jerked away from me yesterday.

Last edited by Brieninsac; 04-02-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:25 PM
1st Gear Member

It would really be helpful if you guys with a lot of experience could maybe rattle off some tips that you have learned, e.g. body position during hill climbs, deep sandy ruts, etc. Thanks again!

Old 04-02-2012, 07:28 PM
1st Gear Member

X2. .

Old 04-02-2012, 07:34 PM
1st Gear Member

When it comes to off road riding I don't think there are any set in stone guidelines. All I can say is practice and become more comfortable on the bike. Over time it just becomes natural and you react to the terrain as it comes. I grew up on dirtbikes so when I ride I never think about body position or anything like that, I just ride and react. Practice and trial and error is about all I can offer. Sorry if it isn't much help

Old 04-02-2012, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

My somewhat limited experience 2cents. One big difference I find between street riding and off-road riding, is the use of my legs and butt muscles, off-road. ON-road, I consciously try to keep weight off my wrists and have a light touch on the clip-ons. OFF-road, I VERY consciously think about my weight distribution and try to "float" my arms, wrists, hands on the bars (but with a more firm grip) so the inevitable twists and snaps don't upset my weight distribution. My legs and butt are usually TIRED after riding off-road, because I always "load" my legs with my weight, like they are an extension of the suspension. I try to keep my belt-line as the "center," but everything else as flexible (up/down/right/left.) When you "load" your legs, it seems like few things can surprise you; you just kinda throw the bike whichever way it needs to go.
Like I said, though, many of you KLX guys have it all over me on technique.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:57 PM
1st Gear Member

if the roads are that rough....enough to jerk your handlebars...you'll benefit greatly from a steering damper....it is a pricey luxury item, but you figure it is universal and can be used on other bikes...

Originally Posted by Brieninsac
Does anyone tape their wrist before doing aggressive riding? I twisted my left wrist after the handlebars jerked away from me yesterday.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:17 PM
1st Gear Member

There's some great dirt bike riding tips over at the Thumper Talk Forum.

And you can find a bunch on youtube. And there's some books out there.

Some guy named Shane Watts comes to mind.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:12 PM
1st Gear Member

i just say...keep your weight forward and down on the foot pegs....don't let the bike pull you...you are always pushing the bike....not just holding on...keeping this in mind has greatly improved my riding on the klx...

Old 04-02-2012, 11:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Find yourself a gravel pit, and go and ride in it as often as you can.
stay on the pegs as much as it feels natural, that way you can transfer your weight easily. Weight transfer is of paramount importance. especially when riding in bumps and going fast. Start with small steps and gradually try climbing and going down longer and steeper hills, or cornering tighter and faster or what ever the terrain is demanding. Do stuff over and over. Find a small log about 6" and practice riding over it and slowly increase speed and pay attention to what happens when you go over it, and adjust your weight etc to fix any problems. Eventually find bigger logs, rocks ruts etc. It will come naturally. There are some books out there to read as well. You should be able to find someone in the same boat as you. It will come naturally eventually. It just takes a few mistakes and scrapes etc. Probably the first thing you will learn is to wet hit sticks and roots across the path at a 90 degree angle. he he

Quick Reply: Riding Skills