removing front tire........

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 07:14 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: removing front tire........

No I really got it on.........

I attatched a clear hose to the bleeder valve, let out some fluid, and viola......I could now push the caliper out with one finger......placed the pad in the slot to the left.......it all worked perfect.

I left it over night with the tube on, so I don't know if that did anything???

If anyone in the future has any trouble like this..I am now an expert.so just ask

But I also can't get the brakes to bleed......perhaps I may have to get air out of master cylinder........

I've learned so much here...THANKS to everyone......Wait till I do the carb mods...you'll see about a billion messages and questions!!!!!

Dave

p.s. any tips about bleeding the front brake would be helpfull and appreciated.

Old 12-30-2006, 08:03 PM
1st Gear Member

open the cap on the master cylinder and fill with fluid. Leave the cap off and attach the hose to the bleeder screw on the caliper. Open the bleeder screw up. Do not touch the brake handle and don't let the master cylinder run dry. When a solid stream of fluid comes out close the bleeder screw. The brake system is now gravity bled. Fill the master cylinder up and put the lid back on. Pump the ba=rake handle a couple of times and then hold the handle down and while holding it down slightly open the bleeder screw on the caliper, fluid will start to come out and the handle will start to go down. Before the handle is all the way down close the bleeder screw. Do not let the handle up while the bleeder screw is open this will let more air into the system. Repeat this 2 more times, if no air comes out after the third time you are good, if air still was coming out afetr the third time repeat untill no more air is seen.(it should be a soild uninterupted stream of fluid). Also remember to make sure the master cylinder is full before each time you pump, hold, and open the bleeder. Also top it off after you are finished. Just a reminder that if you make a mess with the brake fluid water will dilute itnicely.

Old 12-30-2006, 08:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, all I did was squeeze the lever half way, open the bleeder, let some juice out, close bleeder and it feels primed!!!

Only did it once and it feels like it did out the dealership door......gonna test it in a minute after I get theback tire loose so I can tighten thechain a smig.

Man are those bolts on tight, I have to run to sears and get some long metric box wrenches for the rear tire. I borrowed a lift from my buddy so I want to get all this out of the way!!!!!

Thanks again for all the solid advice guys!!!!

Dave

Old 01-05-2007, 12:03 AM
1st Gear Member

While this whole process was a learning experience............

BOTTOM LINE..................WASTE OF TIME!!!!

The old tube I removed which frequently went flat andwas the culprit for this whole ordeal is lying in my garage COMPLETELY FULL!!!!!

I swear someone MUST have gotten into my garage every other night and let air out of my tire.. because that is the only feasable reason for this crazy crap to be happeneing to me...............

Dave

Old 01-05-2007, 02:38 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Well before you rule out the tube, fill up the bathtub and dunk it over and over again. Also take the valve stem and bend it all different directions, then let us know what happens.

Old 01-05-2007, 03:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Yes, it could very well be leaking at the base of your valve stem. Put it in water and wiggle the stem around.