Tip for Removing Front Sprocket

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 08:25 PM
Default Tip for Removing Front Sprocket

Well, I learned last night what all the fuss was about with that tough dang nut on the front sprocket. Good grief! I gave it everything I had and eventually had to give up. That is not something I do lightly, but I am old enough and wise enough to work smart and not hard when I can help it. I don't have an impact wrench, so I was using my regular old ratchet and a bunch of elbow grease. Nothin' doin'.[:@]

To make a long story short, I finally got the nut off buy using an impact wrench that I borrowed from Advance Auto. Most parts stores have a program where they will lend out specialty tools to shade tree mechanics. I called two stores, both of which lend tools, but neither one had an impact wrench for loan. The second store, Advance Auto, had one that I could use on the premises, so it worked out just fine.

If there is anyone reading this that hasn't done the mod yet, I would definitely stop at your auto parts store and knock it out instead of banging up your knuckles and your pride trying to do it the hard way.

My $0.02.

Old 09-07-2006, 10:24 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Tip for Removing Front Sprocket

Quick question. Did you have to break the master link or were you able to take it off by removing the rear tire and loosening the chain? Thanks.

Old 09-07-2006, 10:37 PM

Actually, I just loosened the nut at lunch. I am swapping the sprocket out tonight.

My plan, though, is to loosen the rear wheel and loosen the chain. I am pretty sure that is how all of the folks on this forum have done it. I have not heard of anyone actually breaking the chain.

If I am wrong, I am sure someone will be along shortly to correct my error. I hope so anyway, 'cause otherwise I will be making a mistake this evening.

Good luck to you,
Chris

Old 09-07-2006, 10:41 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I don't know if just loosening the wheel is going to give enough clearance to take the sprocket off...

Old 09-07-2006, 10:49 PM

it does, just slide the wheel forward and it gives you enough slack to take it off the sprockets.

Old 09-07-2006, 10:53 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

The stock chain has a master link - it doesn't need to be broken.
You will have to undo the master link and take the chain off to remove either sprocket. It only takes seconds to do.

You may want to buy an extra master link clip... Sometimes they get a little bent or stretched and you shouldn't re-use them in that case.
You don't want your master link clip coming off on the highway!

You will need to come up with something to press the master link pins out of and back into it's holes on the other side...
I generally use needle nose vise grips and some other small hard object to press the pins out...
Maybe I'm not explaining this very clearly... But you'll see when you remove the master link clip, that the link doesn't just slide out... It takes some pressure.

You need to apply pressure to both pins simultaneously to slide them out of the link.

Old 09-07-2006, 10:54 PM

I can probably figure this part out once I get into it, but just in case, I have another related question. In looking at the rear wheel, the right side nut is the same 27mm as the front sprocket nut. The left side is smaller. In any event, I am assuming that both bolts need to be loosened in order to move the back wheel. Is that right? Also, is there anything else involved in moving that back wheel other than loosening these two nuts and sliding the wheel forward a little?

>>> ADDED AFTER KAWI-WAWI'S POST <<<

Okay, now I am confused. I was under the impression that you don't need to do anything to the chain itself. KW, it looks like you actually removed the whole chain. Is that right?

Old 09-07-2006, 11:19 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I always take off the chain when doing anything to it, the sprocket or whatever. It only takes a second, and now that I don't have the o-ring chain anymore it's even easier.

Old 09-07-2006, 11:33 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Kawi Wawi

The stock chain has a master link - it doesn't need to be broken.
You will have to undo the master link and take the chain off to remove either sprocket. It only takes seconds to do.

That's what I was trying to say. The master link has to come off to get the sprocket out right?

Old 09-07-2006, 11:40 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: okiswede81

it does, just slide the wheel forward and it gives you enough slack to take it off the sprockets.
I guess maybe you don't need to take the chain off... But really it's not hard.
Once you figure out the technique for pressing out the pins, you could do it blindfolded (OK, well almost).

Quick Reply: Tip for Removing Front Sprocket