Push starting a bike?(short story)

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 12:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Well, of course, deej, but when you step out of the camper in the morning in southern Utah with no other human beings around and no electricity...and some dork left the key on while doing some post ride service to prepare for the next day...bump start or some homemade bike-friendly jumper cables are about the only thing that will get you going.

But seriously, I'd highly recommend the set of store-bought or homemade motorcycle applicable jumper cables. Don't try to use automotive size cables. They'll work, but they're tricky to manipulate on many bike battery locations...though the KLX has one of the easiest to reach batteries out there.
I'm thinking I may keep the tool bag on the fender, put in a rope and jumpers. I have a battery tender, makes me think I could wire up jumpers that would plug in to that wiring.

Old 06-16-2015, 06:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by pwjm
Lol..

With 4 guys you could push start the bike UP a hill. That didn't look very safe at all!
Might not look safe but then again that's what makes me want to try it haha. Its very rare for something to be safe and fun/thrilling all at once ;D the rope thing sounds interesting also. I seriously cant wait to go trail riding man

Old 06-16-2015, 09:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
I'm thinking I may keep the tool bag on the fender, put in a rope and jumpers. I have a battery tender, makes me think I could wire up jumpers that would plug in to that wiring.
I've got a small pelican case bolted to my back fender. I keep some tools, including a flashlight, in there, as well as my cellphone while riding, and then I have a rope wrapped around the case. I've needed the rope before to pull one of the bikes home from the trail (I also needed the tools and the flashlight). I also have a short cross-over cable to connect to the battery tender connections between two bikes to jump-start one from the other. You just have to ensure that the inline fuse is big enough to handle this - usually it's just a 10 amp or so fuse, but when jump starting, you'll need a higher capacity fuse.