Problems in the water

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 12:51 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Samee problem I had. The wire trick worked well for me. Prettier than silicon too.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dmadman
so curiosity got the best of me and I decided to start the bike with the lines in water ran for five minutes fine. Then I got the garden hose and started spraying the regulator just to see if I had something shorting out(didn't think that was the problem just did it) the second I hit the plug wire it died instantly. I have just siliconed the whole plug cap and will try again tomorrow. if I can spray it and not stall it I will be of to the pond to see if in fact that was my issue. thanks again.
Read this thread earlier and was about to conduct the same test. I have been riding for 38 years (been around many, many different enduro bikes) and I have never heard of the carb overflows acting as breathers that can cause the engine to stall. Never saw anyone do that T conversion either.

I would have to believe that this would have been addressed by the carb / motorcycle mfg. I didn't want to say anything without testing but I am glad you saved me the work. To me, the concept didn't "hold water" .

I haven't experienced any issues with my '09 but I am going to try your garden hose test before I find out the hard way that there may be a problem.

Good work.

D

Old 06-14-2010, 02:55 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I had a thread on here that showed when I did this mod back in 06, can't seem to find it now. Yea run the lines up and zip tie them on the frame above the airbox.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dklogic
Read this thread earlier and was about to conduct the same test. I have been riding for 38 years (been around many, many different enduro bikes) and I have never heard of the carb overflows acting as breathers that can cause the engine to stall. Never saw anyone do that T conversion either.

I would have to believe that this would have been addressed by the carb / motorcycle mfg. I didn't want to say anything without testing but I am glad you saved me the work. To me, the concept didn't "hold water" .

I haven't experienced any issues with my '09 but I am going to try your garden hose test before I find out the hard way that there may be a problem.

Good work.
D
I couldn't see it myself as I have owned many Honda/submarine's LOL. Didn't know if these carb lines were just a Kawasaki thing though. Will do the big test on Saturday and let you's know. on the bright side I now have one of the prettiest plug wire/caps that has ever been. such a lovely color of blue.

Originally Posted by deej
I had a thread on here that showed when I did this mod back in 06, can't seem to find it now. Yea run the lines up and zip tie them on the frame above the airbox.
I did have them under the seat above the air box but I put them back where they were. I was afraid that the water or condensation would run down the lines and into the carb

Old 06-16-2010, 12:26 AM
1st Gear Member
Location: In North Western Jersey, but from Jackson, WY Originally

Originally Posted by dmadman
I couldn't see it myself as I have owned many Honda/submarine's LOL. Didn't know if these carb lines were just a Kawasaki thing though. Will do the big test on Saturday and let you's know. on the bright side I now have one of the prettiest plug wire/caps that has ever been. such a lovely color of blue.

I did have them under the seat above the air box but I put them back where they were. I was afraid that the water or condensation would run down the lines and into the carb
I would think that if you were going to get meaningful water in lines next to the frame under the seat... you were also going to get plenty of water in the air box and quite likely into the carb anyway and I think if you angle the last 2 inches of the line down you might avoid this as well ... Just a thought. Personally the water shorting boot issue makes more sense to me.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:38 PM
1st Gear Member

well the weekend came and went. I had no stalling issues at all so I will chalk it up to problem solved. Have to buy a new shifter as the one I had ended up facing the rear wheel instead of the front. Thanx for your input Klxrelic.

Old 06-24-2010, 02:13 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

No problem. That's what KLX friends are for!

Old 08-12-2010, 04:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Think this should be the thread to talk about this in.. OR, should I start a new one?

HOW DEEP CAN YOU GO? What issues are there with water?

I've crossed some big 'puddles' on the trail. Deep. When I look down briefly, as it's hard to ride through these loose gravel puddles... I notice the water is going over the bottom of the engine, going over the oil cover area...and I'm wondering if axle seals will let water in, and various other seals. What do you do to dry them out? Just keep riding, and engine heat, friction will dry them out? I recall my bicycle manual saying not to go above the wheel axles...

Thoughts on this? Extra maintenance? And how deep can you go (I've been reading that the airbox breather is under the seat. That seems like deep water riding, or submarine-ing.

Thanks...

Old 08-12-2010, 07:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by neilaction
Sounds like you need to do the carb breather mod.
Yup great mod. I did that with mine and it worked like a champ. Just ran the hoses along the seat rails.

My brother got his bike burried up to to the seat (but not enough to allow water into the air box top opening) and the bike ran. until we got it out.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:50 PM
1st Gear Member

From experience - don't let the water get higher than (and into) the airbox. As long as the engine carries on running you are fine otherwise, which is why the breather mods are done.

As for extra maintenance required as a result of deep water riding is concerned, I am watching this space too. To me, it would be best to re-grease bearings after mud and water riding - but as I understand it, doing that on the KLX is not that simple. So I plan on just carrying on riding.

Quick Reply: Problems in the water