Problems in the water

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 12:51 PM
1st Gear Member
Question Problems in the water

I have a 2009 klx250s.every time I get in water above the starter my bike stalls. I am not getting I water in the air box and the coil isn't wet. I should be able to run the bike until I go over the snorkel as far as I am concerned but I am still about a foot from that happening. the only thing I can see there that is electrical is the voltage regulator. I also lost the cap on the end of the line to drain the water from the little water collector. once I push it back to shore and wait a couple minutes it starts up and runs like a top, no sputter or hesitation which tells me that I am not taking on water. something is either getting wet or not getting air. please help

Old 06-13-2010, 12:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Sounds like you need to do the carb breather mod.

Old 06-13-2010, 01:06 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by neilaction
Sounds like you need to do the carb breather mod.
Yep. The carb vents can't vent if they are submerged in water.

Here is a nice photo thread from DS. Scroll down and you will see the T-vent mod.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ead.php?t=8886

Old 06-13-2010, 01:47 PM
1st Gear Member

thanx guys. I have an idea but I will ask your thoughts. do you think runnin those lines into my air box would cause any problems?

Old 06-13-2010, 06:01 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

When you say "those lines", remember that one of those lines off the "T" should point relatively straight down so gravity will work as it should for this line. The other line can go into your airbox, but I wouldn't worry about spending a lot of time and hassle doing some fancy plumbing to achieve that. Just route it up under the seat to a decently dry looking place that's at least as high as the seat rails.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
When you say "those lines", remember that one of those lines off the "T" should point relatively straight down so gravity will work as it should for this line. The other line can go into your airbox, but I wouldn't worry about spending a lot of time and hassle doing some fancy plumbing to achieve that. Just route it up under the seat to a decently dry looking place that's at least as high as the seat rails.
+1 its a vacuume operated carb that needs to draw and release air as it works. When water plugs a line it no workey.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:48 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I have no carb mods done to mine and haven't had any poblems yet in deep water. However I have had problems with rain and high speed puddle crossings. Read my first post HERE Last half of my post I tell about my problem and cure.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by slippery750
+1 its a vacuume operated carb that needs to draw and release air as it works. When water plugs a line it no workey.
I don't think it will work in the air box either. If it is looking for atmospheric pressure, and it is getting a vacuum, it may still stall. Just a thought.
I ran mine up under the tank from the "T" so water drains out the bottom, and it still gets a "vent" from the upper line.

Old 06-13-2010, 11:06 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I don't think there's enough "draw" in the airbox to prevent fuel flow, but it's certainly not worth the time/trouble for the plumbing.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:34 AM
1st Gear Member

so curiosity got the best of me and I decided to start the bike with the lines in water ran for five minutes fine. Then I got the garden hose and started spraying the regulator just to see if I had something shorting out(didn't think that was the problem just did it) the second I hit the plug wire it died instantly. I have just siliconed the whole plug cap and will try again tomorrow. if I can spray it and not stall it I will be of to the pond to see if in fact that was my issue. thanks again.

Quick Reply: Problems in the water