Power Commander V KLX250 EFI

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 08:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by thytum
im having a big doubt, here in brazil we got the KLX 250 SF model with EFI year 2010, i came from kawi versys, so i miss that torque, for fix this im about to buy a Power Commander V but not enough bucks to get the new big bore kit (from B&B 351cc) so do you think that Power Commander will help in something even if i dont have the big bore kit?

* got only the PCV + map switch without autotune.
* In Brazil the gasoline in plenty a **** not so pure ...
* i heard about a API unlimited ECU, from Apitech is this better than PCV ?
Hi thytum,

1. Do not get a 351BB kit if you ever scrape the cash together....I have never heard of anyone with a 351BB on a EFi......only a 331 kit is proven to work!

2. APi tech programmable unlimited ecu is very difficult to use, I never really understood it fully in 6 months of use. APi have terrible tech support, even people that live near their shop in Bangkok & speak fluent Thai have had problems with them & the software is glitchy. I would not recommend the unlimited ecu.

But the APi 250 fixed box ecu is an easy plug & play. I have tried riding my bike (when it was a 250) back to back with the clutch by-pass trick & then with the standard APi fixed ecu.....The APi was more powerful than the clutch by-pass method, by a good 10 or 15%.

3. PCV is a good product, easy to use, well made software, tech support all over the world & easy to get MAP's from Power Commander and/or other users also share MAPS!! I like it.

My recommendation would be:
....... get the PCV
........do the clutch by-pass (unlocks ignition timing in 4,5 & 6th gear)
........plug in a 02 sensor emulator (which comes with the PCV) & this tricks the stock ecu into running at max richness.

btw welcome to the forum

Old 12-04-2012, 11:09 AM
1st Gear Member

It will help, but it won´t make it a Versys. I refuse to make any comments on your statement about the gas in our country, but you´re wrong.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by JoelThailand
Hi thytum,

1. Do not get a 351BB kit if you ever scrape the cash together....I have never heard of anyone with a 351BB on a EFi......only a 331 kit is proven to work!

But is not it just about the amount of fuel coming into cilinder solved with PCV ??

2. APi tech programmable unlimited ecu is very difficult to use, I never really understood it fully in 6 months of use. APi have terrible tech support, even people that live near their shop in Bangkok & speak fluent Thai have had problems with them & the software is glitchy. I would not recommend the unlimited ecu.

Ok like to program in assembler :P i forgive the API

But the APi 250 fixed box ecu is an easy plug & play. I have tried riding my bike (when it was a 250) back to back with the clutch by-pass trick & then with the standard APi fixed ecu.....The APi was more powerful than the clutch by-pass method, by a good 10 or 15%.

not enough much money for little power change

3. PCV is a good product, easy to use, well made software, tech support all over the world & easy to get MAP's from Power Commander and/or other users also share MAPS!! I like it.

would be nice to have one with autotune, but also price is a problem too high with autotune, im about to sell this klx and buy again a versys later on! or use this klx till it die (what would be a longgggg time ) if not i will try to get the PCV, do you have a 331 CC ? how does it feel ???

My recommendation would be:
....... get the PCV
........do the clutch by-pass (unlocks ignition timing in 4,5 & 6th gear)
........plug in a 02 sensor emulator (which comes with the PCV) & this tricks the stock ecu into running at max richness.

btw welcome to the forum
Thanks a lot man!! check my videos if you want just find for thytum user on youtube and picassaweb or facebook
Originally Posted by Malves
It will help, but it won´t make it a Versys. I refuse to make any comments on your statement about the gas in our country, but you´re wrong.
ohhhh gas is bad mixed 20% or even 35% with alcohol ...

cheers

Old 12-06-2012, 04:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks a lot man!! check my videos if you want just find for thytum user on youtube and picassaweb or facebook

If you want to try & fix the APi software & learn to use a way over complicated interface. btw There is only one technician left at APi that fully understands the unlimited program & he speaks 0% English (only Thai)....up to you thytum.

But is not it just about the amount of fuel coming into cilinder solved with PCV ??
If you want to be the Guinea pig or the first pioneer of a working 351BB then go for it, there is a large number of EFi riders waiting to find someone to prove this possibility!! I personally think the stock injector is not capable of powering the extra 20cc & the throttle body on the EFi bike is small & restrictive.......it could be possible but would never be running at 100% potential of full power.
And you would definitely need an Autotune unit for the 351BB as there is no one in the world with a 351 MAP to share with you....imho

do you have a 331 CC ? how does it feel ???
Yes i do run a 331 & it is a massive difference in power from a klx/d-tracker 250, in fact it can only be described as night & day. The front wheel will lift in 1st & 2nd with no effort & my bike will accelerate hard to 155km/h with 14/39 gearing with ease.....going over 160km/h (100mph) is possible but feels a little unsafe & i weigh 230lbs/110kg!! This bike destroys cbr250's (even modified) & can beat ninja250's in acceleration up to 140km/h, then after 140km/h a modified ninja will start very slowly pulling away. The 331 low & mid torque is very strong as well. I go riding with 2 friends that are fast experienced riders with a er-6 & a Versys & they cannot loose me on any twisty fast mountain roads, i am annoyingly right up their asses all the time!! In a proper drag race my bike will sit side by side (er-6 & Versys) up to 80km/h & then they start pulling away. Around town & on back streets the 331 is faster & more maneuverable than a Versys. This 331 would be incredible if i weighed 70kg!!! Shame i weigh 110kg but still very good fun!

If i lived in my home country i would buy a modified DRZ400, KTM or Husqvana!! In Thailand we have to pay big tax on imported bikes....so the KLX/D-Tracker was the only available low priced bike (assembled in Thailand) of this style.

+1 Malves, it will never be a Versys!!.......the 331 cannot go long distance touring or handle long straight fast roads but it's great fun on back roads, fast twisty roads, around town or city riding.

Good luck with your choices.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by JoelThailand

If you want to try & fix the APi software & learn to use a way over complicated interface. btw There is only one technician left at APi that fully understands the unlimited program & he speaks 0% English (only Thai)....up to you thytum.

i mean "its like to program in assembler" what mean is pretty hard and too much code ;/ so no interest in do it! but i have to tell that i like the idea its very nice!

If you want to be the Guinea pig or the first pioneer of a working 351BB then go for it, there is a large number of EFi riders waiting to find someone to prove this possibility!! I personally think the stock injector is not capable of powering the extra 20cc & the throttle body on the EFi bike is small & restrictive.......it could be possible but would never be running at 100% potential of full power.
And you would definitely need an Autotune unit for the 351BB as there is no one in the world with a 351 MAP to share with you....imho

i see! about the injector we have solutions, that is get one injector of a honda falcon 400cc or a honda xre 300 or cb 300! about trothle i dont know what do say and do! 20cc seems not too much but can help a bit more, do you think that the ~biela~ of motor will hold so much power ??

do you have a 331 CC ? how does it feel ???
Yes i do run a 331 & it is a massive difference in power from a klx/d-tracker 250, in fact it can only be described as night & day. The front wheel will lift in 1st & 2nd with no effort & my bike will accelerate hard to 155km/h with 14/39 gearing with ease.....going over 160km/h (100mph) is possible but feels a little unsafe & i weigh 230lbs/110kg!! This bike destroys cbr250's (even modified) & can beat ninja250's in acceleration up to 140km/h, then after 140km/h a modified ninja will start very slowly pulling away. The 331 low & mid torque is very strong as well. I go riding with 2 friends that are fast experienced riders with a er-6 & a Versys & they cannot loose me on any twisty fast mountain roads, i am annoyingly right up their asses all the time!! In a proper drag race my bike will sit side by side (er-6 & Versys) up to 80km/h & then they start pulling away. Around town & on back streets the 331 is faster & more maneuverable than a Versys. This 331 would be incredible if i weighed 70kg!!! Shame i weigh 110kg but still very good fun!

[COLOR="red"]hahahaha u fat piggyyy DD im 70kg, stock goes a bit nice to me but no torque at low rpm its what i miss more!! mine works good over 5000 rpm then it starts to pull nicely!

klx 250 sf on city at night - YouTube

If i lived in my home country i would buy a modified DRZ400, KTM or Husqvana!! In Thailand we have to pay big tax on imported bikes....so the KLX/D-Tracker was the only available low priced bike (assembled in Thailand) of this style.

where did u come from ?? we have drz here DRZ-E 400 but not street legal would be more 4000 bucks to make it legal the bike new is already 22.000 i dont know .. a used versys with 9.000 km is about 25.000 ! maybe drz is worth maybe its not... i like so much of XR650R but here we dont have it!

+1 Malves, it will never be a Versys!!.......the 331 cannot go long distance touring or handle long straight fast roads but it's great fun on back roads, fast twisty roads, around town or city riding.

Good luck with your choices.
thank you at end, do you think that those 20cc will make a lot of matter ?? cheers!!

Old 12-09-2012, 04:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by thytum
thank you at end, do you think that those 20cc will make a lot of matter ?? cheers!!
Personally i don't think there is a big enough difference between the 331 & 351 to really bother with all the hassle of making a fresh new fuel MAP.

The biggest restriction is a small keihin 34mm throttle-body! To feed a performance 351 engine, a bigger injector & throttle body would be needed or you are wasting your time.

where did u come from ??
I come from the UK originally.....absolutely any motorcycle is available at a good price!! Not so in Thailand

The klx250SF is a good fun all round bike but has it's limitations if power & performance is required!! Even with a 331 big bore kit fitted, a little over 30hp is for me only just enough power to be happy!

mine works good over 5000 rpm then it starts to pull nicely!
If you think the 250 pulls strongly after 5000rpm, then you are going to be very happy with a 331BB.

cheers

Old 07-16-2013, 08:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Greetings to everyone!
Tell you that after many miles (34000km) performed with the Power Commander and 300cc cylinder have been all satisfactions and no problem.

Only once the engine started giving me errors every time I lifted the front wheel, cutting mysteriously injection. This occurred because the central unit of Power Commander was somewhat loose in its housing. Once again tight solved the problem.

Old 02-22-2014, 04:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jeffward
Greetings to everyone!
Tell you that after many miles (34000km) performed with the Power Commander and 300cc cylinder have been all satisfactions and no problem.

Only once the engine started giving me errors every time I lifted the front wheel, cutting mysteriously injection. This occurred because the central unit of Power Commander was somewhat loose in its housing. Once again tight solved the problem.
Hi jeff, i'm planning to get my self a 300 bore up kit... Do you have any clutch slippin issues after u plug the bore up kit? Thank u

Old 03-19-2014, 06:12 PM

Im about to get the 331cc from kustom kraft, fmf q4 and powerbomb and im thinking about getting the PCV.

Joel would you be able to share one of your maps?

Regards

Old 04-04-2014, 07:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Hello. How are the PC5 bikes performing ?

really want to learn how to tune an EFI bike (KLX250).

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Power Commander V KLX250 EFI