Performance Exhaust choices and considerations.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 04:18 PM
Default Stock

Originally Posted by Klxster
This is the chart he is referring to. I had to reduce the quality to get it here. Follow his link for a better viewing".

All run data is present - it's a valid chart. What we don't know is the details of the bikes' carb/airbox setup. Still, the curve for the "stock bike" looks right. The "enhancement" curves are believable for a non-MCM bike. The peak numbers are exactly what I would expect with a non-MCM+lidless setup + Full FMF system. What I can't guess at is the shape of the curves between this Barker system and a Full FMF system.

Notice the TRQ/HP is enhanced everywhere but, as expected, really "takes off" above 6K. All-in-all, a very impressive result. If you don' know Dyno charts very well, let me assure you that the bike went from "zero" to "hero" - Tame to Dangerous(That power surge above 6K will have it come over on top of you, out on the trails, if you are stupid with the throttle and the situation..)

Perhaps a call to Bill BLue to find out about the airbox and carb setup for the "Barker run"..? If the bike had its' lid on the airbox, there could be another 2+ horsepower available with a lidless setup. THAT would be a new benchmark in KLX performance.

If I remember correctly, he told me that bike was stock. But I could be wrong. My plan was to get the Barker from Bill for $550, but I found an fmf megabomb and pc4 setup one month used for $250 with a 13 tooth sprocket, air filter, and jet kit. I think I am going to swing for that then get the Tm36 carb on eBay with the money I save. Thoughts?
a

And thanks for the explanation on the dyno. I don't have any experience with it.

Old 01-26-2017, 04:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, certainly get the Mbomb and PC4. That price is too good to pass up. As to the rest of your mods, create a new thread or "Personal Message" (PM) me. Such discussions can result in many, many, pages of posts on a thread and is not appropriate here.

Old 03-27-2020, 05:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Added new information about DanMoto's fine looking, inexpensive, slipon to top post.

Old 04-07-2020, 09:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Added information about the "Chinabombs" to top post.

Old 04-05-2021, 03:55 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm thoroughly enjoying reading this thread and have always been interested in exhaust design. I've modified exhausts on every bike I've owned. This is one I made for my DRZ. It's parts from 4 exhausts. FMF powerbomb header, stock shortened gutted megaphone exhaust, Supertrapp tuning disks, and XR'S Only conical billet end cap.

I just got a 300 and KNOW i'll be messing around with the exhaust! I'll post when I can add some useful information to your thread.

Old 04-06-2021, 02:35 AM
Thumbs up

I also recently picked up a '21 300, currently riding in the Ozarks. You obviously have a vastly superior understanding of exhaust dynamics, than I ever will have. Plus, I have never picked up welding. I threw in a Twin Air, pulled the snorkle, and ran a 7/16 hole through the first baffle in the can. Done...

Old 04-06-2021, 04:58 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by PHM14
I also recently picked up a '21 300, currently riding in the Ozarks. You obviously have a vastly superior understanding of exhaust dynamics, than I ever will have. Plus, I have never picked up welding. I threw in a Twin Air, pulled the snorkle, and ran a 7/16 hole through the first baffle in the can. Done...
I'm actually an awful welder and usually need to do a lot of grinding to clean up my messes.

I built an intake manifold for my Toyota designed like a set of exhaust headers. The runners are extra long which gives the engine more low rpm torque. I'm not educated. All I actually do is come up with ideas and then try them out to see what will happen. So I'm always flying by the seat of my pants. Sometimes things work out fine and sometimes they don't. The fun is in finding out...

Last edited by tooter; 04-06-2021 at 05:04 AM.
Old 04-06-2021, 12:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by PHM14
I also recently picked up a '21 300, currently riding in the Ozarks....
What part of the Ozarks do you ride?

Old 04-06-2021, 03:34 PM

That's cool. Did the manifold work as intended?

Old 04-06-2021, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Neanderthal
What part of the Ozarks do you ride?
I'm in NW AR, based in Fayetteville, for moto & MTB. Today, I'm headed to the Ozarks National Forest, hunting twisties, dirt track & trail. Beautiful weather up here today...and the more I ride the 300, the more I like it. Running stock gearing & tires (15 psi rear, 17 fr), the 300 has held its' own in the dirt, and climbs like goat! Glad I'm not running a louder exhaust, as some of these roads wind up very close to homes. The fatbars are a big improvement. My KTM500 is sitting chained up in the garage, waiting for me to recon some worthy dirt

Quick Reply: Performance Exhaust choices and considerations.