Other Kaws that use the 250's Forks

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 02:38 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Other Kaws that use the 250's Forks

Does anyone know if our front forks are used on other KX models? I'm looking to get some black lower fork guards from here...

http://www.gnarlyparts.ca/index.php?..._27_51_218_871

But they only have them for KX models. I thought I read somewhere that out forks are used from a KX model but I can not for the life of me find that again, anyone here know?

Thanks.

Old 12-07-2006, 03:00 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Other Kaws that use the 250's Forks

Found this over on Planet KLX

http://www.planetklx.com/techtips/in...le-parts.shtml

Looks like the 94-02 KX will work with some trimming

Old 12-08-2006, 05:55 AM
1st Gear Member

I have done the KX fork guard swap on my KLX 300. The KX guards are from a 94-03 KX 125/250 and you must also use the KX fork guides as well. The KX guards are not nearly as brittle as the KLX guards which are prone to breaking much more often off road. The KLX fork guides will not work. The guides for the KX are larger in diameter and must be shimmed to fit the KLX forks. I used some flexible clear tubing and you can't see it unless you are looking for it. The rear mounting holes on the fork guards must be trimmed off and new rear mounting holes need to be drilled. It's really pretty easy and self explanatory once you have the guards and guides.

Old 12-08-2006, 06:05 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AgoosSS

I have done the KX fork guard swap on my KLX 300. The KX guards are from a 94-03 KX 125/250 and you must also use the KX fork guides as well. The KX guards are not nearly as brittle as the KLX guards which are prone to breaking much more often off road. The KLX fork guides will not work. The guides for the KX are larger in diameter and must be shimmed to fit the KLX forks. I used some flexible clear tubing and you can't see it unless you are looking for it. The rear mounting holes on the fork guards must be trimmed off and new rear mounting holes need to be drilled. It's really pretty easy and self explanatory once you have the guards and guides.
Thanks AgoosSS Good information on your fork modification! (I'm a poet! [:@] )

Willum
TC
Wichita Falls, TX

Old 12-08-2006, 02:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info! How much did the KX guides go for?

Old 12-08-2006, 06:37 PM
1st Gear Member

The KX fork guides go for about $15.00 each side and only comes in the white/natural color. I think UFO makes a complete kit with the guards and guides for about $30.00 and comes in different colors. The front brake side, left side, has the brake line guide built into the guide. With the KX guards the brake line goes on the outside of the guard as opposed to inside the guard on the KLX. It works very well. On the right side you will no longer have a guide for the odometer cable. It is not built into the guard or guide as the KX does not have an odometer. I have tried many options to making guides for the cable and just ended up using a black zip tie over the fork and cable. Actually looks OK. I even tried to use a left side guide on the right but it did not work out. Part of the problem is the right side only uses two mounting holes and it is not as stable on the forks as the left side is. Attaching the cable to the guard or guide in all my differnet attempts kept putting stress on the guard, guide or cable, often putting the guard out of allignment on off road rides. I will probably get an electronic odometer which will fix the problem all together. I am also in the process of eliminateing the left side guide. The guide and guard work very well on the left side. The problem riding off road is the brake line going underneath the forks. I have a brake line guard but have still managed to ruin two brake lines because of this routing. I am going to use a Honda CR conversion brake line for a KX 125/250/500 94-03. This gets rid of the stock KX guide and you bolt a clamp onto the guard to hold the brake line. The line then wraps around and behind the fork about 1/3 of the way down from the top of the guard.