General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Forks, Forks, Forkin', Forks!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 05:13 PM
Default Forks, Forks, Forkin', Forks!!

Right, Steve from the UK here.

Brought a pair of forks off eBay last year for another over ambitious project and as the project has been canned (at least I'm consistent!!), they are going back on The-Bay.

Now the ad at the time said they were R6 1998/99, but as I never used them I didn't check. I checked the tube diameter and this is 41mm, the travel seems to be around 100mm and the caliper bolt holes are 55mm apart.

I'm not much of an expert on the R6, but on checking the web the R6 for non-upside down shocks all seem to show they have a tube diameter of 43mm and the later R6 with upside down shocks has a 41mm diameter (but these ain't upside down, that much I know!!). So they are not R6.

So I next thought, these could be Thundercat shocks, which have a 41mm diameter and are not upside down. But I have some TC fork bottoms and these definitely are TC bottoms as they are marked '4TV' and whilst they slip onto the tubes at the other end they are nothing like the ones on tubes. Also the forks bottoms on the tubes are marked with a code 'XA661'. I've search the web on XA661 and found nothing to do with Yamaha's (or anything bike related).

So, don't think they are Yamaha and a Honda mechanic looked at them and said they aren't Honda he (thought they might be Kawasaki), oh and the guy off eBay...his email address now bounces!!

Picture here: http://pantsbybot.com/ebaystuff/yam_...0_r6_forks.jpg

Other clues are: The XA661 mark, one bottom end of the forks has two retaining bolts for the spindle, the other side is 'blank'. Also NX(??) seems to be stamped on the inside of the fork.

Any ideas??

Thanks,

ST

Old 10-05-2007, 05:24 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Forks, Forks, Forkin', Forks!!

LOL I thought you were talking about my town, I live in yep you guessed it Forks Washington. You had me going there for a second. [8D] Sorry I can't help you out on your post. Good luck.